Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 230 00'
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's about Midnight 12am.... and I'm driving home with a friend. when....

Out of no where!!!! a cat being chased by a dog run out on to the street from the side walk (a truck being in the way so I couldn't see the cat and dog) and the cat ZOOMS past my car but the dog was about 2-3 steps too late and BOOOOOOM! I hit the dog on accident. Even if I were to slam on the brakes the dog still would have got blasted.

So I stop about 5 yards later scared as heck, I look at my car and really can't notice anything because it's kinda dark... and I see paint chips. I look at the dog and it's gone (RIP). So I don't see any1 around and I have no idea what to do. I didn't see a tag or anything on the dog, So I figure it's a stray or whatever..... I just left, and I didn't kno what to do.

so me and my friend head over to the nearest ARCO gas station and check out my front end of the car. HALF of my (electric shaver) grill is gone. My bumper is pushed in and dosen't sit flush with the hood anymore. and the Bottom part of my bumper is out of place. The paint on my hood is chipped bad. And I feeeeeel like crap. There is some dog hair on my bumper and no blood.

So today I wake up try to get my story together and i'm getting ready to tell the insurance company to pay for my damage. [V]

I feel terrible about the dog, but there was honestly nothing I could do. I would have hit the dog no matter what. I love animals, dogs... whatever.. but damn.... is all I can say.

Anyways... do you think the insurance company would buy me a sports package for the front if I bought the side skirts and rear bumper? I have a 2000 slk 230.

Thanx for reading my LONG story. I really feel bad.

It's nice to be back on the forum. haha I've been away for awhile.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 E320 Wagon
173 Posts
Nah, I think you have to hit an old guy in a wheelchair before they will spring for the sports package.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Wow, I feel so bad for you. I just rescued a dog from the SPCA two days ago. When we got it home and cleaned the poor thing up, gave it a bath, hair cut and clipped its nails I actually cried because I couldn't believe that someone would let it get into the condition that we got it when we got it. She's so beautiful and sweet. It's a mini Schnauzer.

If you love dogs like I do, I'm sure you feel like shit and I'm sorry. If your car is fucked up, I'm sorry too sometimes things like this aren't your fault. If I hit a frog on he road for God's sake I feel terrible. I may be over sensitive, but that's just how I am. I can only wish you the best. For what its worth I'll include you and the dog in my prayers tonite.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
The insurance company is not going to give a rats ass what you do with the money. They will pay $XXXX for repairs. If you can get the sport kit for that price then lucky you. If not then it is up to you to make up the difference if you are interested in it.

Sorry to hear about the accident. Sucks that there is a dead dog and a damaged car. Think of it this way though- like you said there was nothing you could have done and the accident could have been much worse.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
430 - 4/9/2005 10:39 PM

The insurance company is not going to give a rats ass what you do with the money. They will pay $XXXX for repairs. If you can get the sport kit for that price then lucky you. If not then it is up to you to make up the difference if you are interested in it.
I agree. My experience has been that after they have an adjuster look at the damage they will decide how much it will cost to repair and either a) cut you a check or b) recommend a repair shop (you do not have to use their recommendation). The advantage of using a shop they work with is that you pay the shop the deductible and they get the remainder directly from the insurance company. So in your case I would take the check, pick a good shop and kick in the differnece in cash to get the Sport look that you want. Again, this has just been my limited experience with my insurance company.

Sorry about the accident, that's a bummer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts