Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Current: 1987 560 SEC US, former factory trained MB tech 10 years, owner of 14 others.
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found an 87 560 SEC in my city. 136k on the clock, white paint, flawless body, rims and tires. Trashed interior, cracked dash, sun-damaged leather and wood. I can buy it for under $1k. Drives tight, needs a lot of tlc and minor stuff. Suspension reservoir is empty. I have had 14 MBs over the years, and was a tech on tem for 10. I have always lusted after a 126 coupe. Should I buy or fly?

Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo Diesel
1,799 Posts
Welcome to Benzworld! I love the sec's! I would always follow your first instinct.

·
Registered
A bunch o of 'em - see signautre
224 Posts
If I...

... were a tech familiar with the 126, I'd do a l ittle price checking on what the interior is going to cost you these days, add in the mechanicals parts costs (assumes DIY of most if not all) and see what the total outlay will be.

Then decide if that cost is reasonable to YOU for an SEC. I don't know that you can expect to ever make money on it - I would look at it as an "investment" in your own lifestyle (i.e., driving it for a while).

Another consideration: do you actually LIKE to work on 'em or would it be more like your old day job...?

I acquired one about a month ago ($5100) with 96k on the clock, plan on putting $2-3 grand into it and driving it for a long while. If I had to sell it after the little bit of sprucing it up (the $2-3 grand), i think I would be close to present market value, possibly a little off each way +/-.

Good luck and regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
Current: 1987 560 SEC US, former factory trained MB tech 10 years, owner of 14 others.
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For me, it would be a lifestyle choice like buying an Armani suit off fleabay that needed alterations. I also do like working on them, and enjoy the self-satisfaction of improvements. I have painted my own cars with great success, and did professional wood restoration several years for a MB shop several years as well. :elefant:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would anyone possibly have a PDF or scan of any 560 SEC shop manuals or owners manuals etc. they could share? I need to do a lot of work here. :eek::bowdown:

Thank you kindly in advance! :beerchugr:

Mark in Spokane

[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts