Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
What a Coincidence, my Job today has an MB Workshop next door .
Got that small hose & we had a real good chat at 7 am in the morning lol.
Some luck has come back to my side .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
MY97 S320
3,200 Posts
A lot of work but work worth doing plus it saves you from getting bored.

Once back Home Joe took me for a Spin (Super Spin) in his daily S500 ,wow ,the longest drift & burn out i have ever witnessed in a W140 ,couldn't see nothing behind except Tyre burn smoke ,lol.:thumbsup:
S500 is a muscle car in disguise. Once all the nannys are turned off by physically unplugging the ABS there is no stopping the tire smoke.

Reactions: Merc-S600

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
If i had the chance to record that Joe ,it would have been exactly like this . Unbelievable from a W140 ,i still cant believe you did that ,lol.
Again Again .:thumbsup:

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Parts have arived and are all in . New Manifold Gaskets and all hoses behind the engine .
On checking everything around the Engine i found the EGR inlets (booth sides ) completely blocked of with carbon , one of the EGR valves didn't hold pressure so that is preventing me from re installing the manifold back in now and finish up ,the new one is stuck at Erlanger Kentucky .

Other then that ,pictured below is the curved pipe hose behind the engine that wasnt broken but i just replaced it in case and the 12 klipps that hold the sparkplug leads on the rocket covers .
Someone needs the part # its all there .

She will also receive two new Throttle Actuators with the non biodegradable wiring ,all arrived & ready to go on .

Also improved the wiring all around the engine & behind with extra insulation & repainted the Manifold while i wait .

New Behr/Hella Radiator is in as well .

While fixing the car my wife asked me to keep an eye on her cooking pot as she went on a short shopping ,so i did that as well ,(as if i got time to spare for that ,lol.
Ticket Magenta Material property Label Auto part Auto part Pipe Engine Vehicle Metal Auto part Engine Wire Electrical wiring Vehicle Auto part Wire Automotive fuel system Fuel line Pipe Gas stove Stove Gas Cookware and bakeware Dutch oven

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
It's been a long Time ,Here is a Small Update :
Car has been on Show ,Concourse de' Elegance but only as a Visitor .
Other then that ,Pic's say it all .It might take a while for some to load the pictures.
The White wire that is connected to the center console ashtray is completely hidden behind the Passenger foot well with all the Gadgets connected there ,out of sight ,no visible wires no where .
Interior Color can be any color of choice or change to the sound .
Later i maybe post a Video of the exhaust as i changed that again ,not rear only underneath .
View attachment 2609979 View attachment 2609981

View attachment 2609979
Vehicle Car Automotive design Auto part Concept car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Center console
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Mercedes-benz
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering part Steering wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part
Vehicle Luxury vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering part Steering wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part
Vehicle Luxury vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior
View attachment 2609979 View attachment 2609981 Vehicle Car Automotive design Auto part Concept car Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Center console Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Mercedes-benz Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Mercedes-benz Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Mercedes-benz Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering part Steering wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part Vehicle Luxury vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
MY97 S320
3,200 Posts
Hmmmm I'm pretty sure that's my old 600SEL that went missing a while back. Glad you found it, I'll come and pick it up this evening, thanks.

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
It does look similar to THE one , you know ,THAT one , but it isnt . This one drives like a Fright train on Steroids , THAT other you you mean didnt drive at all almost, lol.
Garage is open Joe , you Welcome anytime but you know that.

·
Premium Member
MY97 S320
3,200 Posts
Well if it's still there in the morning it means the key I have here doesn't fit.

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I have a slight issue i'm stuck with & is driving me Nuts . The car received everything new in the cooling system except the Fan Clutch that was working before but not as it should be .
Radiator is a new Hella/Behr - new Thermostat is Borg Warner - Coolant is Blue from Mercedes -all hoses are original New ,every single coolant hose including underneath & behind the engine.
I installed a New Hella/Behr Fan Clutch but it wont Engage at any Temp up to 98c so i thought it was a defective one & purchased a VEMO Fan Clutch which i installed a day ago , this one also wont Engage .
I had to overheat the engine on purpose up to 110c buy removing fuse #2 ( AUX Fan Relay Fuse) ,this will prevent the AUX fans from Engaging at any stage . Still at that Temp ,the Vemo FC did not engage,at 115c i gave up . Obviously the fault is elsewhere . My scanner (C5) doesn't pick anything related up,no codes except Temp Sensor B11 & B10 ,all sensors have been replaced X4 new once (this was due to having disconnected them & reconnect ,shows Short circuit ,fault is fixed) .
Could it be the Thermostat not opening or to much coolant or maybe the radiator or maybe air in the system ,i have no idea at this stage . All i know is that FC activates with a certain Temp / Heat . While i had the engine fan out which had flaky paint to it , i reconditioned it as well , sanding stripping the old paint then i sprayed it with Heat Paint (maybe that's the problem lol) However ,i drove the car in this condition & it never overheats or goes above 98c ( never over the 100 line ) ,AC on or not makes no difference . I rang Mercedes Service & they said it is perfectly normal for the FC not to engage at the temps i told them ,somehow i don't believe them at all . Before i replaced the radiator the FC used to come on for a minute at 1st start up ,now nothing but the car runs absolutely perfect without it ,no power loss, i just don't like it when something doesn't function the way it should . So here i am asking you guys if anyone has a clue or maybe had this problem himself .Any Hint is greatly appreciated & believe me , before i post something here not to clutter the site more , i must be standing in front of a WALL .

Attached are some pics ,Fan Before & After . FC that was in the Car (old one) was a very cheap one ) $35 Au dollars in value ,lol.
And BTW ,I finally did end up buying that Special tool to remove the Fan clutch without removing the Radiator lol. Pretty handy tool to have on stand by when needed i must say .
Analog watch Watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Metal
Wheel Alloy wheel Auto part Automotive wheel system Silver Wheel Plant Grass Automotive wheel system Tire

·
Registered
'95 S600
541 Posts
If it aint broke dont fix it what id do in your situation. I don't trust temp gauges to be dead accurate either so given your cooling system is basically new it should operate better than most . Fan clutches are odd things in my experience and can vary a bit in different vehicles, conditions and brands. Ive never heard or felt most of the ones in my BMW's come on enough to notice in any conditions, even though most were brand new brand new OEM Sachs or Behr ones.

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
If it aint broke dont fix it what id do in your situation. I don't trust temp gauges to be dead accurate either so given your cooling system is basically new it should operate better than most . Fan clutches are odd things in my experience and can vary a bit in different vehicles, conditions and brands. Ive never heard or felt most of the ones in my BMW's come on enough to notice in any conditions, even though most were brand new brand new OEM Sachs or Behr ones.
And i totally agree with you NZ . The MB mechanic told me the same think , basically . He also mentioned that BMW's run even hotter . Its probably just me that wants perfection above perfect ,lol.
I probably end up installing electric fans later down the road if i dont get to hear these FC engaging at least once .
Btw, i had the engine running for over an hr with the scanner hooked up to it showing the correct Temp on booth Engine Banks / Sensors . Aparently when it shows say 90c on the clusters Temp gauge ,the real value is around 87c even lower , it took ages to get the engine with hood down to get to temperature.

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
3,202 Posts
My experience is that the fan works for awhile right after startup, then quits. My theory is that fan clutch fluid moves under gravity at rest, activating the fan until it flows again to the "off" position once the car is started. Looking at some YouTube videos on how these things work this seems to make some sort of sense. It also seems to engage at odd times when driving, usually after sitting at a stop light for awhile.

Just my $.02...

Jon

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
My experience is that the fan works for awhile right after startup, then quits. My theory is that fan clutch fluid moves under gravity at rest, activating the fan until it flows again to the "off" position once the car is started. Looking at some YouTube videos on how these things work this seems to make some sort of sense. It also seems to engage at odd times when driving, usually after sitting at a stop light for awhile.

Just my $.02...

Jon
By my knoledge thats exactly how it was before and also on my ex S500 & S600 , this one nothing .Maybe it's a UK thing as the car is a UK import ,lol. I just hope that its not caused by the Heat paint i sprayed the fan with , would be a huge headache to take of , i doubt it is .
Thanks Jon

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,764 Posts
Chris,

Beautiful. If only Craig were around to see his work, those seats look great.... Like the blue lighting....

Martin

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 · (Edited)
Chris,

Beautiful. If only Craig were around to see his work, those seats look great.... Like the blue lighting....

Martin
Thanks Martin . Yes she does look awesome & even better in person when she is for once on the road which she rarely sees . Craig would be happy but i think i did show him the end result before he passed away (RIP Craig , greatly missed ).

Latest addition to the car is the V12 gear lever emblem , no where to be found ,i paid over a $100 for this one . ASR switch has also arrived so that's another add on & story later , only reason i bought this switch is, there is an empty spot on the console were a switch can be added to . Note the Chrome Surround around the middle console ad on ,makes it look really cool yet an almost invisible touch,it refines the edge all around it .

As for the non engaging FC , i'm about to ad 2 more liters of mb coolant ,maybe its not enough what i got in . I remember another car i had , not enough coolant so the FC never engaged , could have been coincidence at the time but lets see .
Vehicle Luxury vehicle Car Center console Machine
Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Head restraint Auto part

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Update hopefully coming soon .
Lorinser kit is stuck at panelbeater for the last 10 month since i keep on bringing him more parts i want painted & he is a very busy but good panelbeater .
Made a video yesterday to show Jal how the Blower Regulator blows air .

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Little Update whats happening with this beast .
Installed Lorinser Body kit . It took over a year to get this repaired & painted by my local panel beater , he did a perfect job by taking it's time ( & me having a lot of Patience) .
For those that dont know like my self .
The Chrome edges on upper Lorinser Bumper in front under Headlights are different then those that are on the original W140 Bumpers , they are Wider , connector clips & holes are the same. I had booth Re- chromed as new .
Other then that ,the Bumper was a straight Fit .
Thanks to Fred from USA E'bay for the Trunk Spoiler & Jauce Japan (Japan e'bay sort of ) for the Side airvent trim pieces & Steve from Sydney wide European Auto wreckers for the Bumper .
$610 postage to here in Australia just for the trunk spoiler .
I'm just happy to have one original lorinser not a copy lol .
Ordered the white fog light H3 bulbs as the original japan yellows are fitted .

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Plant Car
Automotive side marker light Car Vehicle registration plate Land vehicle Vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

·
Registered
1991 S420 Sedan - 1993 S500 Coupe
882 Posts
Little Update whats happening with this beast .
Installed Lorinser Body kit . It took over a year to get this repaired & painted by my local panel beater , he did a perfect job by taking it's time ( & me having a lot of Patience) .
For those that dont know like my self .
The Chrome edges on upper Lorinser Bumper in front under Headlights are different then those that are on the original W140 Bumpers , they are Wider , connector clips & holes are the same. I had booth Re- chromed as new .
Other then that ,the Bumper was a straight Fit .
Thanks to Fred from USA E'bay for the Trunk Spoiler & Jauce Japan (Japan e'bay sort of ) for the Side airvent trim pieces & Steve from Sydney wide European Auto wreckers for the Bumper .
$610 postage to here in Australia just for the trunk spoiler .
I'm just happy to have one original lorinser not a copy lol .
Ordered the white fog light H3 bulbs as the original japan yellows are fitted .

View attachment 2712307
View attachment 2712309 View attachment 2712308 View attachment 2712313

Very nice Chris

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Thanks Master Lee .
The white lights just arrived a short while ago . In Already ,lol.
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle registration plate Wheel

Vehicle Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Tire

81 - 100 of 102 Posts