Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
What a little bit of boredom does .
Looking at the scratched engine manifold, it gave me a small idea that cost me a day & a half .
Since the Engine goes trouble free ,i decided to paint it without removing the manifold.
Pulled it all apart & masked every necessary nut/bolt/screw/hose etc ,whatever didn't need painting.
She looks like New again .:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
MY97 S320
3,200 Posts
Congrats. Now you have the third best looking M120 engine bay in the country.

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Congrats. Now you have the third best looking M120 engine bay in the country.
Thanks Joe ,just that there is a small problem , it's not finished yet with my special touch .
This is just the paint like a freshening ,the rest is yet to come .
You probably see it tomorrow anyway in person .

Let me guess the # 1 Spot & # 2 spot ,would that be by any chance a Goldy colored CL600 & on a Silver colored S600 ?, lol .:thumbsup::wink

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,764 Posts
What a little bit of boredom does .
Looking at the scratched engine manifold, it gave me a small idea that cost me a day & a half .
Since the Engine goes trouble free ,i decided to paint it without removing the manifold.
Pulled it all apart & masked every necessary nut/bolt/screw/hose etc ,whatever didn't need painting.
She looks like New again .:thumbsup:
Crazy!!! One way to skin the cat without having to take the intake off...

You are a artist :thumbsup:

:nicethread:

Martin

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Crazy!!! One way to skin the cat without having to take the intake off...

You are a artist :thumbsup:

:nicethread:

Martin
Crazy would be 99% correct ,lol. I see it more a way of enthusiasm for the car & don't feel the Craziness ,it's a must do for me.
As you know with W140's "Don't disturb something that runs good ,leave it be until it needs replacing or you could be sorry later " .

Eventually the day will come where i will take the whole manifold /rocket covers of but it doesn't look like any time soon .
As for now the engine looks as if the manifold has been taken of ,covering it all up took a good day , Cant feel my back or knee's .
Joe saw it as well today ,ended up 2nd best for now by his judgement ,lol.:thumbsup::crying

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)
UPDATE :
REAL MB not Aftermarket Steering Wheel fitted . The camera flash shows a different color between airbag & wheel ,it's a perfect match .
That made a huge difference to the car's interior ,looks much better in person .
Notice the giant Fan in front of the car ,that cools the Heat of super fast,lol.
Other then this ,yeah it's time to clean her up as she's a little dirty ,no time lately to do anything again .:thumbsup:

Just to Update the Engine on this Thread ,New pic added .:wink

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
Did i mention that i got the Cat Converters removed .
Some previous owner had Holden Commodore Cats installed at some stage .
Now the car has it's full power back as the once on it appeared somehow clogged up or near there .
Two tiny little Cats ,unbelievable what some do to save a buck or two .

The day i went to remove the Cats was with intention to install the Quad exhaust , i told the Exhaust guy to get them on , Well guess what ,The exhaust guy refused to install them ,he said " the car is to nice to have the exhaust so loud ,it's a luxury car & shouldn't have them,many people do the same mistake by adding them " he said .
By my rules it's my car so i do what i think is good & or like ,but nope cant even do that these days anymore .
However the Exhaust sound it makes now when i accelerate a little more is absolutely out of this world .
Quads maybe later now (bummer).
Time to do a Video i think for you guys .:thumbsup:

JOE: Notice the Air Bag above , you see it , i didn't forget about you ,you know that .
See Pic below & maybe you can spot it. :wink

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
Update:
Almost $3000 for an exhaust system from front to rear . Hearing it on the hoist was one thing but then when i drove of , i couldn't hear anything inside the car anymore like radio etc , it was to loud because the installer installed the Resonators directly underneath the middle of the car plus i tried the X shape exhaust which the the V12 doesn't like one bit as it can be heard in the video.
With the X pipe ,there is luck of power at the low revs but more power at higher revs , no good here as being at the higher revs ,she goes around 120/140km'h in a 60km/h zone additionally there is a weird sound to the engine ,as if it was scavenging for air or something like driving under water .
The day after i removed the X pipe & two sets of the resonators (it had 4 resonators) 2 are now silenced resonators at the back with special tips X2 ,now she sounds just like a V12 should sound ,she's got that Wolf howling sort of in the background to it when i hit the pedal , the air scavenging also stopped ,all normal again .
I also added two High Flow Cat converters , apparently it's a $20000 fine if caught without them by today's Law .
Video added is that of the To Loud Exhaust with 4 Resonators under. Will ad another one with the quiet exhaust later on.
Last pic ,exhaust on floor is the removed part. That's about $700 on the floor wasted .:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
The Day after Exhaust .
Absolutely L.O.V.E the Sound now .

Keep in mind that hearing the sound on PC / phones etc might sound different then what it actually sounds like ,but it is close .Hearing it on my Samsung S10 i would say the sound is about 75% while hearing it on my 5.1 PC sound it's about 85% to the correct noise/sound it makes.👍
WARNING : THE VIDEO HAS HIGH PITCH SOUND FROM THE DASH CAM VOICE .

·
Registered
1992 500SL, 1993 300SE, 1997 S320L, 2000 C230K, 2003 E500, 2005 Smart ForFour, 2008 Smart ForTwo
463 Posts
Could barley hear the exhaust over the piercing robotic voice. Thanks for the warning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I will make better once as i take the car out .
I know ,that camera voice gets annoying ,i turn it of next time if i remember doing it .
Inside the car its not as loud but since the voice is build into the camera ,it"s twice as loud .

·
Premium Member
MY97 S320
3,200 Posts
You are over the speed limit.
You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.You are over the speed limit.

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Didn't Notice i was Over the Speed limit Joe , thanks .
I try not to go over it next time ,not so easy to do that,i will have to disconnect one bank of cylinders ,lol.
Will make better once soon .?

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Small Update what's happening:

About a week ago i installed two new Engine Mounts , couldn't believe how hi the engine had to come up to remove the mounts .
The once in it where good ,i didn't need to install new once ,just a maintenance thingy .
A week later (probably the next day ) , my wife notice drops of water dripping underneath ,that was just after i activated the windscreen washers so i didn't make nothing of it , parked it in the garage for another week .
Yesterday i took Joe for a little drive & the yellow water light came on ,lucky i was close by my garage ,water was pissing out like a Fountain inbetween engine & tranny .

I checked everywhere to find the leak , inside the cabin & underneath the wiper mechanism etc even took the Charcoal filter out,Nothing No Leak (Dam) , couldn't find it so i purchased an Endoscope to see close up behind the engine & finally spotted the leak after about 30 minutes Endoscope'ing around .
What you see in the Video is where the leak was .
Now while i'm at it ,i ordered two semi new non Biodegradable Throttle Actuators as it shows in the description where i bought them from and all the Gaskets/Hoses etc (etc etc etc .... etc ) .
I opened my Throttle Actuators & despite showing a lot of black carbon ,the wires are all ok inside .
I estimate she is out of action for about 4 weeks plus ,waiting for Parts ,Not that i need the car as i don't use it much .

Prior to this ,the car drove absolutely like a Dream with a lot of Power ,i think Joe noticed that as well .
Once back Home Joe took me for a Spin (Super Spin) in his daily S500 ,wow ,the longest drift & burn out i have ever witnessed in a W140 ,couldn't see nothing behind except Tyre burn smoke ,lol.:thumbsup:

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 · (Edited)
Just some pics .
1st ,view what you see with the Firewall flap removed.

2nd, The leaking hose,note the water.

3rd, throttle actuator view from inside facing mainfold .

4th, the cable tray lifting.

5th,removing those 4 bolts makes it easier when pulling the manifold forward ,not to add to much pressure onto the power steering reservoir hoses under it .

6th,the Tridon thermostat selling on ebay for M120 is the wrong one ,this one opens at 82c but dosent fit .
In my hand is the original W140 one.
Part Number: TRIDON-811/TT269-180
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TRIDON-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

7th, all done ,engine look with everythink off ,what a job ,Wow .

8th,My new C5 scanner.

9th, engine before pulling it appart.

Attachments

·
Registered
'95 S600
541 Posts
Looks like the same hose that i replaced on mine. I believe i used with standard 40mm heater hose. I wanted to replace the top one but it appeared to be NLA?. Both were in good shape considering so i didn't bother trying too hard to find something else.

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Thanks for the tip NZ.
I will try to find the best hose i possibly can not to do this ever again .

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 · (Edited)
Here is that small Hose , split right in the center .
I rang MB and suprise suprise ,its no longer avaiable .
The hose behind it U shaped with a hook costs $115+gst , i found it for $15.87 OEM original MB .
I told the MB staaf member how does MB justify the Rip Off prices ,he agreed with me .

Now for that small one ,i go hunting ,maybe i get one with the spiral reinforcement on it if i can do that ,not to sure .
The other U shaped one looks good but better change that as well .

Attachments

·
Registered
'95 S600
541 Posts
Haha no surprise there. This is what i used and still got which i used for that small piece above and the piece the runs down by the RH exhaust against the chassis. Its good quality hose and they (Cohline) do alot of OEM stuff i believe, about about $30NZD per meter when i got it.

Hope you can find that U shape one genuine as replicating it wouldn't be very nice

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
The U shaped one is available online , problem IS, they dont post to Australia ,some of them .
Thats a good hose you got there .
If i make it tomorrow i check out some MB hoses of same quality .
I'm not rushing with the hoses ,i will do it properly without cheap parts .
The Best Or Nothing ,lol.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts