Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Windows are now Black . That glue spray or whatever they used is all all over the doors & trunk , cant touch the inside now for 3 weeks ,dam but she looks absolutely beautiful now with that dark black mirror effect .
More Pics in 3 weeks guys ,by then i should have the door handles locks & trunk lock back in as well,the once on the car are spares,totally useless. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Decided to go for a drive around the block today , around the block is about 1 maybe 1 & a half kilometers .
That drive around the Block took me over 3 hours . Tested the car completely how she drives & feels on the road intensely , with AC on to see how hot she gets etc .
Usually i always avoid heavy traffic but after i got the confidence that the car is ok , i purposely choose traffic jams for a short while , I cant fault it , highest temp i had was around 90c in standing traffic with AC on .
Drove the car as if i was driving Trump around the block ,nice & slow never accelerated harshly , the way a W140 should be driven .
Back in the Garage for two weeks at least if i can resist next Sunday ,lol.

During the week i completely stripped the rear tail lights & reflector strip , rear left tail light received a new lens as the other one had a tiny hole to it covered up with invisible tape , reflector strip all washed & air dried with high compressed air to get rid of the mold that was stuck on the sides ,washed & polished everything back there then tail lights & reflector back on .

Also changed the trunk Lock which was the last one to swap over , now there is only ONE key for the whole car with the central locking perfectly working as it should ,finally that's over .

She also received Gps navigation with internet plus other gadgets seen in upper storage comp , that gps slides in & out of the compartment as you need it (it folds) , front & rear view dash cameras , reverse camera , speed warnings by 2 (actually 3) separate gadgets plus so much more like lane departure warning or drifting / collision detection etc ,feels like i'm in a planes cockpit now when i slightly go over the speed limit (adjustable speed warning), cost's a bit but very helpful gadgets .
Next i will be hard wiring the wiring that's seen at the cigarette lighter ,i don't like seeing wires around .
The small gadget seen at the windscreen center tells me speed /time & Battery voltage ,there is more to it but that's all i want.
She also got all new 6000K LED/HID without ballast's headlights for fog light /high beam & low Beam ,what a difference that made .
All this & the car doesn't get driven ,go figure that out ,lol.

Added a Pic how the wheels look nice & flush , they are Pirelli P-Zero 285/30/19 rear & 255/35/19 front ,in sharp turns she doesn't slide a bit out going faster then what it should , i guess that Joe-V12 found that out on the last Bunnings drive ,lol.:thumbsup:

Re attached the rear pass side reversing Aid chrome ring ,it just fall of .:eek :angel
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TO BRING THE CAR UP TO THE CONDITION SHE STANDS OUT IN THE BELOW PICTURES HAS TAKEN ME CLOSE TO 3 MONTH,THE CAR NEVER LEFT THE GARAGE FOR ALL THE REPAIRS IT RECEIVED ( IN THE SHORT RANGE OF APPROX 5-10 METERS EVERY DAY IN & OUT OF THE GARAGE ,SHE DID ABOUT 1 KM.
EVERYTHING WAS DONE BY MY SELF & JOE WHICH REPAIRED SUSPENSION & THROTTLE ACTUATOR WIRING & OTHER WIRING WHILE THE CAR WAS AT HIS FAR AWAY PLACE / WHILE TREVOR DONE A PREVIOUS AC EVAPORATOR REPAIR BEFORE JOE RECEIVED IT ,THEN I TOOK OVER .
JOE ALSO DID THE STEERING PUMP ADJUSTMENT FOR ME AS MECHANICS WANTED TO START STRIPPING THE EXHAUST OF & PARTS OF THE ENGINE (that's another story) .
MORE TO DO BUT IT IS ENDING,BUMMER .:crying
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Yes absolutely jay, i haven't lowered it yet ,thinking about it but that gets done after i changed tyres as i want a bigger side wall ,the more rubber the better with 19's , i think highest i can go is 275/40/19 maybe 45 pushing it .
The tyre guy my friend told me that we will test some different tyre sizes before lowering .
My ex 600 swb was lower'd ,biggest tyre it could take was 275/35/19 at rear .

Booth of the 2 w140's pictured below are my ex S600 & silver S500.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Looking Really Nice Chris

Trevor would be very happy to see the 600 rejuvenated

Cheer's .............. Lee
If you get ending up in contact with Trevor to which i wish him a full recovery fast ,sent him my regards & tell him that his car is in as new condition & that all his attempts trying to fix are stripped out & replaced 100%.
The only person's that get close to the car are Joe & me , Fly's get executed on the spot if they attempt a Fly over in my restricted Garage space ,lol .:thumbsup::cool:

·
Premium Member
MY97 S320
3,200 Posts
so this key that I kept won't fit my car any more?

Reactions: Merc-S600

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
so this key that I kept won't fit my car any more?
You can chuck that of the Harbour Bridge next time you pass it . Only one beautiful key now with immobilizer & alarm on additionally i get notified on my phone if any intrusion is detected , if the 2nd motion detection alarm is triggered,so many gadgets in the car now it should go to the NASA space center,lol.
Sorry Joe ,Your key wont fit .:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
3,202 Posts
Which Android unit is that for navigation, etc, mounted in the upper dash compartment? There's tons of them on eBay, but I have no idea which ones are any good. Are you happy with yours? How do you secure it when driving?

Jon

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Very happy with it , i couldn't believe the way it was packaged when it arived in a really nice looking box which looked quiet expensive .
The unit itself is ok ,the screen could be made of a better quality but then the price would also be much more .
The rear view camera is 720P,it has the parking lanes & does what it supposed to do . It connects to the internet when i'm near my base as i didn't install a SIM card ,no need for . I payed $89 for the Sygic navigation app not to have ads or being restricted but you can use one of your choice .

To connect the rear view cam ,you need to route the wiring all the way to the back into the trunk (check pic below),that's another story & not to easy getting the wiring to where i wanted the camera which lights up when reverse gear is selected ,pretty good option & looks good .
I passed the Wiring from the back of the middle dash storage compartment by taking all that section out ,underneath the passenger foot well ,thru the sides, underneath the doors splash guard under the seat belt then back door splash guard, thru the back seat where the AMP is ,there is a hole there ,add a strong light into that area in the trunk then you see it from in the backseat .
Then all around the sides & up into the trunks bracket which is not easy pulling the wire carefully up,then you need to position (mark) the camera where you want it then drill & add some paint where the new hole was drilled to prevent rust to pop up later ,camera is set then .
What ever you do don't drill into the number plates light fitting as it will crack in half ,previous owner on my ex 600 did that as he tried to use the hole which is already there (idiot) .
Next you have the GPS antenna,not to difficult to get that up the dash once you passed the wire up to the center storage comp at the back ,biggest problem was the power connector ,fitting it thru the back storage comp as it is a big one & space behind it is not really enough ,one wire at the time will do it & a lot of PATIENCE ,lol .
You also need to ad wires to the reverse gear light so the cam can detect reverse gear signal ,it then will talk to you & the parking lanes will show up ,not before .

There is a slightly wider units on e'bay with 8 inches wide , it could fit better but i preferred this one as i measured it before purchasing , fits perfectly .
This one also has the bottom wood trim which might not match the Burlwood trim but looks pretty dam good ,another reason i got this one specifically ,because of the wood trim it has , it's a Zebrano trim not Burlwood.

The front camera is useless for that unit as it sits to low on the dash unless you place it on top of the dash or add something underneath into the storage comp.
It holds itself with magnets & 3M tape if used ,i didn't use it yet as i want the unit to slide in & out when i want not it ( i'm the Boss,lol) ,i don't really think it needs to be screwed in or glued in as it holds itself pretty good .

Added some extra pics of the UNIDEN 70R dash cam with back view on top ,it has the lot ,even connects to your phone , wiring is almost the same procedure except that the rear window camera i passed it over the door trim all the way to the back ,invisible wires ,it is a dam good camera (x2) while the Uniden 80 might is 4K but has only one front Camera ,booth have speed warnings with Red light Camera warning -Speed cam warning -motion detection etc etc etc ,,, etc .

To hide all the wiring at the ashtray where you would get a 3 or 4 way cigarette lighter adapter ,you buy a good one ,cut the plug of that you would connect into the cig lighter then pass the wire & connect it to the back of the cigarette lighter passing thru the side of the passenger foot well side trim ,on US cars could be drivers side to see the cig lighter power connector .

The Reason you buy an Adaptor to connect all these gadgets that need cig lighter connection is not to cut your Gadgets cig power cord ,you might need that sometimes on a different car or other reason .
Once you got that welded in ,No More Wires .
This GPS wont connect to the original Becker radio in a W140 ,you would need an Aftermarket radio with Bluetooth connection for that to get it's full potential of all Apps it has ,since i only use it for gps ,i don't need that,maybe later .

It takes a lot of time to install it properly .:thumbsup:

Here is the GPS,maybe you find it cheaper over there,some specify for the SAME gps 5G ,its a lot of BULL just to sell there Product ,dont fall for it .
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7-84-in...g-image-WIFI/263358186262?hash=item3d515f0316

Uniden 70R Dash Cam .
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UNIDEN-...a:g:s30AAOSwSVdbrGlS:rk:5:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Two Pictures of the rear view Cam seen at # plate ,one she is OFF another she is ON ,note the 4 small lights light up around it.
The picture where i point to the trunks bracket is where i passed the rear cam wires thru.

Attachments

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
3,202 Posts
Yes, we can get that unit, very slightly cheaper here.

So when you want to use yours, you just unfold I and let it sit in the eyeglass compartment?

The ad says the GPS can connect to your Becker radio thru FM. I've never been happy with that type of connection. The way I read the eBay ads is that they have Bluetooth to connect to your phone for music and handsfree, not to send GPS voice to the car radio, but I may be wrong. If they do have Bluetooth to send voice to your radio, you can get an auxiliary in adapter for your Becker, and then get a Bluetooth adapter for that. There are adapters available both for cars with CD changers and without for the aux in. With the aux in adapter with the CD changer, you use a CD recorded with silence, and select that CD when you want to use the aux in. There are also Yatour and Grom units that let you add Bluetooth, handsfree, USB stick music, etc to your Becker unit. They can hide in your glovebox. However I believe those kill use of the CD changer.

I've looked at several of those Android folding GPS units, and none of them offer a wired connection to an existing stereo. I have no idea why. All they'd have to add is a 3.5mm stereo jack. That would be better quality than either FM or Bluetooth.

Thanks for the info.

Jon

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Yes ,i just let it sit there . I have to try if that FM connection works ,might be interesting .
Thanks for the tip.

Sooner or later i will install a Kenwood flip out screen again so it really dosen't worry me on the other hand , at the moment i just enjoy original W140 Sound of which is AWESOMEEEEEEEEE '''.:thumbsup:

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Just some pictures what this poor car went thru with me during the 3 month i have it , i don't have any pictures what Joe did to the suspension unfortunately .
Everything underneath like suspension -rods -bushes- linkages etc are washed cleaned & partially polished where i could reach (only a nutcase like me ,lol).
I removed all the door trims a day before the windows got tinted ,that was done professionally as i don't want to see bubbles later on .
The pictures close up under the engine show the deteriorated lower wiring harness as i found it , other pics show how i measured the brackets for later positioning & cutting the plug ,should have used my dremmel tool .
Some of the door trim i completely stripped & replaced ,every single clip has been replaced & re attached .
I have so many pictures of all the repairs which takes hours to upload .:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
1st Pic shows how to affix those reversing aid antenna chrome rings that are sold on e'bay ,they come without the rubber grommet on it so you need to make your own . Tap Washers medium size then cut around a 14 size socket X 2 sockets together with the washer in between then cut around it with a Stanley knife ,there is the grommet .
Unfortunately MB told me they are unavailable .

Back pic is after the tail lights & reflector strip clean out .
What the window tint looks like at night , cant see in from outside but looking out is ok.
Middle console was the day i restored every button ,either replacing as some were sticky or clean them out like the mirror switch , Note the added chromed surround all around the console ,looks really classic with that on , the burlwood came up really nice as well .
All lights replaced with HID 6K (No Ballasts) .
Scanning for codes ,that was fun .
Last pic for now , at a Christmas party , cant escape my view with around 30 guest coming over that day ,lol.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
When i 1st received this car ,What was the condition of it & what was wrong with it .

Unregistered /Uninsured .

Paint: Heavily scratched & stains in the paint with a lot of shopping trolley ding dong all over .
Glue like left over 3M tape everywhere .
Loose Bottom trim covers .
Unpainted drilled holes around fender arches.
No Wipers mechanism installed ,completely missing out of car.

Lower Wiring Harness need replacement even that it was mentioned it was fixed ,Yes ,about 6 inches on the Oil temp sender ,lol.

Interior: Extremely dirty carpets & seats need replacing the Leather , Heated seats not functioning front & back ,all bladders stopped inflating .

Rear windows sticky with console buttons sticky or not operational .
Sunroof hard to open with brackets requiring replacing .

Cluster needed Rev counter replacement .

Wheels & Tyre's needed replacement .

Front & rear Bumper full of scratches - stone chips & bumps .

Central Locking partially working with trunk having a mind of it's own , 3 keys to the car with drivers side door handle not operating .
Ignition key stuck in ignition with a 2nd barrel hanging down the Barrel to allow it to start ,basically two keys to start the car .

No Battery .
No Spare Tyre .
Reversing Aid Chrome rings missing .
Antenna not Functioning .
Radio not functioning .
Tuner for Radio missing.
Central Locking infrared Module module missing .
Alarm & immobilizer disconnected in Trunk .
Steering play was huge ,same as 1957 Dodge Pick up truck ,steering box adjustment (done by Joe at my place).
Wheel Alignment required .
Engine : Extremely dirty .
Oil Dip stick without cap , Oil change / Spark plugs /steering fluid /radiator coolant (incorrect type) all required fresh fluids ( Rear Diff oil ?) .
Engine Belt ,incorrect type to by pass air pump .
Firewall cover loose without screws ,heater regulator non functioning .
All filters required replacing .
Drain holes underneath Firewall cover completely blocked with mud & leaves .
Passenger side Throttle Actuator noisy rattling at start up.
Air pump not connected .
Headlight Washer system & Wipers not functioning .
Brake Rotors front & back required replacement .

Windows: Windows were cover'd in a glue like substance ,very hard to get rid of . Looked like the Tint was a failed attempt to remove .

Infrared : Cheap non functional system installed .

Cracked front Bumper .
No Engine splash guards underneath engine ,neither for Transmission or engine .

Throttle actuator wiring needed adjustment with open connectors . (Joe did a beautiful job with the wiring but had no time to finish it properly up at the far away dads place .)

Rear drivers side door trim behind trim had sound insulation missing .
Booth rear door trim needed replacing , one burlwood ashtray only fitted other is from 320 model not fitted to the car .

Multiple Fault codes on scanning ECU .

The Good Part about the car .
#1: It's a W140
#2: It's a 600 V12
#3: AC Evaporator Repair done
#4: If Joe wouldn't have had the car i probably would have let it go to the wreckers .
#5: Headlight covers .
#6: cant think of anything.
#7: It was great fun to restore it . All of the above has been Repaired .

The Bad Part as of Today:
#1 :I probably will loose my Drivers License at one stage as she goes pretty
good with full power.
# 2: Probably will end up fighting sooner or later as admirers cant keep there
dirty finger prints of the paint & windows ,lol.
# 3: She looks a million $ now, an invitation for Vandalism jealous people if left unattended for long.
# 4: I'm running out of Repairs .

Anyone with an Idea for what the Estimate of how much this Restoration would have cost or would wrecking it ,be the better option to begin with in the 1st place ? .:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
MY97 S320
3,200 Posts
I personally installed new bilstein front shocks, front swaybar links & swaybar bushes. Can't recall if I replaced the steering damper.

Reactions: Merc-S600

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I personally installed new bilstein front shocks, front swaybar links & swaybar bushes. Can't recall if I replaced the steering damper.
And you didn't take Pictures ?, Bummer .
Good Job Joe .:givemebeer::beerchugr::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
MY97 S320
3,200 Posts
If you need some things to repair I'll happily take it for a drive without you in the passenger seat.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,764 Posts
Bravo Chris!!

That is what it takes. It is not a repair with these cars, a restoration with every single one to a certain degree.

I'm glad this is a Long Wheel Base car. Now you can have passengers in the back.

I end up doing the same to mine. My beater 500 was saved from the wreckers years ago, and recently with the P0455, but soon it will look great too after some paint, rims, and external touch-ups. My leather on the beater is super supple now - no drum hard leather - no torn seats either...

You are not crazy by removing the door panels for tint as I'm going to do the same. I'm the same way. I have removed all external parts when I painted cars in the past. May take days, but no mask lines :wink

All great things in life do not come easy. They all require HARD WORK..

You have done a great job Chris. I'm following in your foot steps.

Martin

PS... Watch out for that Joe as he wants to check that flow from the exhaust pipes, and the linearity of the accelerator pedal at the bottom :devil

·
W140 Moderator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Thanks Martin .
It does take a lot of Knowledge to get where i am at on W140's & to do it properly & not just "Yeah that will do" like most do ,i don't .
The W140's quality is unmatched by what i have seen on other cars around , repairing it can be a challenge finding the correct part or suitable replacement as you know.:thumbsup:

41 - 60 of 102 Posts