Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
W107, soon...
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am starting a search for a 560 sl that I can drive for a while and restore a few years down the road. I looked at one yesterday and wonder if I can post pics with a regular membership to the site. There are a few items that I am concerned about, but would like a second opinion. Thanks.

Matt

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Bring it on! We love pics and are happy to help you.

·
Registered
W107, soon...
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so hopefully this photo is attached when I send this... It is a photo of some of the rust spots just inside the grill and what seems to be a bent support rod.

Attachments

·
Registered
W107, soon...
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rust where the hood latches is by far the worst rust spot on the car (that I have seen so far I only had about half an hour). All the hood and panel joints look straight so I don't think there has been any serious body damage. I wonder if this type of corrosion is typical. It would be simple to repair, considering the location. What of the bent support rod? What would cause that. Seem like I saw something similar in another hood up photo.

·
Registered
W107, soon...
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a view of the vehicle in question. The wheels are little sketchy. I wish it had the typical 560 sl wheels. Its a 1988 model year.

Attachments

·
Always Remembered RIP
6,050 Posts
Is the VIN stamped on top of the radiator support? , if not then it is a replacement. Not the end of the world but a sign to look much more carefully for possible frame damage. Depending on the asking price it might be ok as this is going to be a driver. Do a search for rust and you'll spend the rest of the night reading.

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,654 Posts
A very reliable rule of thumb on rust is to multiply by 10 what you see, to what you don't see. To me, rust here is very unusual, and tells me the car has been exposed to a more corrosive environment than most. There are a hundred places you can't see that will ultimately leave you heartbroken. Pass, and find a truly rust-free car. The bent support rod is never a good indicator. Either a re-used part in a crash repair, or possibly damaged some other way. I would always assume the worst, till proven otherwise.

Money spent up-front is WAY cheaper than spent on the back-end. Find the very best car you can.

·
Registered
W107, soon...
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know that the vehicle spent time in Laguna Beach, CA and Melbourne, FL. Coastal Florida will certainly rust a car. Especially if you live on the water. This is the first one I have checked out. They are asking $10,900 for it. 90,000 miles.

It sits on my way to and from work. When I first saw it, I remembered how much I wished I could have a car like that back when they were new... The style never got old to me, I suppose.

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,654 Posts
10.9k with that rust? PM me. I'll sell you my drop dead gorgeous Signal Red '88 560SL, NEVER any rust, documented history, for not much more!

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,170 Posts
The picture shows the data plate to be lifting, possibly indicating replacement of the rad support, which generally means there was an accident. Also the x bracing is bent. If the rest of the body work is good and the rust in this area can be attributed to local poor preparation in the area then the car may be good. However that's a lot of ifs. It is very likely the car was repainted by the same yo-yo that painted the rad support. You really need to take much more than a 30 min look at this car.

·
Always Remembered RIP
6,050 Posts
Doc, put away the meds. I don't have to see anymore to tell you to pass that one. Chiefs car is drop dead gorgeous but no matter what you can find a lot better for the asking price. Take your time don't jump, all of us will help.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,170 Posts
I just read the part about the $10.9K. what he said.^^^^^^^:surrender:

·
Registered
W107, soon...
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't even try to feel them out for a price they would consider. They did mention that they really did want to get rid of it. One thing that I am curious about is the seals for the hard top. They seemed rather dry rotted. Is it a pretty simple job to replace the weatherstripping on the hard top? The soft top, incidentally, looked absolutely brand new. The owner had apparently never used it and wasn't even sure what color it was until we opened it up (its dark brown).

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,654 Posts
You can buy SL's with virtually any problem, and repair them with a satisfactory result, EXCEPT rust (sorry Werner!). Search the forum for the experiences of others that have purchased cars with "minimal" rust, and see what they have wound up with.

·
Registered
W107, soon...
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ha! There is no way I am going to jump on the first one I see. I am definitely going to spend some time looking until I find one that makes sense. Right now I am scanning the grocery store parking lots, etc., looking for other 107's that I can compare to ones I am able to drive and photograph (this white one only so far...) I am not above asking a stranger to pop the hood so I can have a look. :) I appreciate all the support that this group can offer and look forward to pulling the trigger when the right one rolls by.

Anybody have links to Car and Drive or Road and Track articles from the 80's reviewing these cars?

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,318 Posts
The braces are not badly bent if at all. The 560 braces are not straight tubes to begin with. The rust on them is suspicious as is the rest of the rust. In the end it doesn't matter because the price is about 3-4K too high.

Keep looking.

·
Registered
W107, soon...
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is an example of the dry rotting concern I have with the hard top seals. Easy weekend fix or PITA? Is this typical deterioration?

Attachments

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
Here is an example of the dry rotting concern I have with the hard top seals. Easy weekend fix or PITA? Is this typical deterioration?
Unless it leaks, and you anticipate using it often, I wouldn't be too concerned. Personally, I don't know how big a deal it is to change these.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts