Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 E320 sold :-( Now a 2013 VW Passat (atleast it's German)
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, after 9 years I have bought my second MB. Bought a 99 E320 last Thursday. 68k mi and in immaculate condition. My first was a 95 C280. We have owned 4 Land Rovers since. I had forgotten how solid and nice these cars are. Looks like we will be a MB family from here.

Can someone clue me in to a source for, or sources of, workshop manual or CD-ROM?

·
Registered
91 560SEL(RIP),98 E320matic 230k baby!,98 C230,93 500Ehurt,Rover crawler,97 Vulcan,01 R1,02suzukiTLR
55 Posts
Welcome back, Landys are thirsty. Did you keep one Landy? I have a beautiful Disco crawler and I can't remember the last time I drove her cause she is so thirsty (9mpg with my setup). I suspect you will enjoy your 99, it has a slick engine/tranny combo and this forum will save you money and time so stay close......

Attachments

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
MBUSA

for the dvd or alldatadiy.com for a very good 25buck a year subscription.
TSB's wis info and of course the diy section at the top of the page,mercedesshop.com and post a shout out if stuck,someone will have figured out a way to skin the cat:D
68k miles perfect time to change the trans fluid and filter mb 722.6 spec fluid only 1999 you can drain the converter.
Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips and others for parts.
check the front spring perches for rust,make sure the harmonic balancer recall was done,get the radio code from the dealer before you need it.Avoid rolling down the rear drivers window or read the diy :)
0w40 mobil 1 syn and fleece filters from above.
Don't spill anything on the console;)
Welcome back:)
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic sedan, 68K miles (purchased Jan 2017)
855 Posts
Matt/ohlord, this can be purchased directly through mbusa.com? (Dvd)?

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Iv'e

done so many i don't have either although I have heard that the alldatadiy is pretty complete and written more in layman terms for the average diy'r.

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
I've never subscribed to alldatadiy.com, so I can't comment on the quality there. However, every comment I see from others has been positive.

I ordered the DVD by calling 1-800-FOR-MERC. The part number is P-2700-210-05. I think it came to about $168 or so with sales tax and shipping.

I have two minor complaints with the DVD.

First, it is copy-protected and must be inserted in the drive to function. You cannot copy the files to your hard drive and work from there.

Second, it does not cover my 722.4 transmission. That won't be an issue for you; the transmission in your car has extensive coverage in the DVD.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome back, Landys are thirsty. Did you keep one Landy? I have a beautiful Disco crawler and I can't remember the last time I drove her cause she is so thirsty (9mpg with my setup). I suspect you will enjoy your 99, it has a slick engine/tranny combo and this forum will save you money and time so stay close......
Yep, still have the wife's 02 Disco. I will keep it. I suspect when it gets time to buy her a new car we will get a 2nd Merc but keep the Disco. We havent had any trouble with it. I want to drop in a 4.6 engine like I had in my Disco and put a 2004 transfer case with the CDL. That way we have something for bad weather, off roading, etc.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for the dvd or alldatadiy.com for a very good 25buck a year subscription.
TSB's wis info and of course the diy section at the top of the page,mercedesshop.com and post a shout out if stuck,someone will have figured out a way to skin the cat:D
68k miles perfect time to change the trans fluid and filter mb 722.6 spec fluid only 1999 you can drain the converter.
Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips and others for parts.
check the front spring perches for rust,make sure the harmonic balancer recall was done,get the radio code from the dealer before you need it.Avoid rolling down the rear drivers window or read the diy :)
0w40 mobil 1 syn and fleece filters from above.
Don't spill anything on the console;)
Welcome back:)
Thanks for the advice. Questions:

I am assuming that the 722.6 transmission fluid is a MB label fluid? Do you not just use Mobil 1 synthetic fluid?
What's the scoop on the driver side rear window? Common failure?
"fleece filter", is that a joke that I am not getting (little dense today), or some descripter that I am not getting?

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Questions:

I am assuming that the 722.6 transmission fluid is a MB label fluid? Do you not just use Mobil 1 synthetic fluid?
What's the scoop on the driver side rear window? Common failure?
"fleece filter", is that a joke that I am not getting (little dense today), or some descripter that I am not getting?
Get the MB fluid for your transmission. That's the safe bet.
The rear window regulators are of a terrible design and fail often. Fortunately they're cheap (I'm sure that this is the point) and pretty easy to replace. You should easily be able to find information about the regulator with a search.
I don't know why they call it "fleece" but it's what you need for the extended drain intervals specified by FSS.

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
908 Posts
Fleece....

is for what we have to pay for it at the dealer. But, alas, we do.

Make sure the oil has MB 229 spec on it as MB now uses oil as a coolant. I like mobil1.

Glad u r back!
B

1 - 11 of 11 Posts