Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 SEC560 There seem to be quite a few radio options and I have no idea which I should be buying. I have a 3 pin and 4 pin connector and an antenna connector. Each radio has so many different connectors it seems. I've attached 3 pictures of the wiring I have and some radios. Help me out! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
420SEL
1,176 Posts
Get a aftermarket unit that will sound a lot better.
But even if you want to look oem, you can get one of Thor Continental units. Very oem units with all the modern features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,087 Posts
I concur. I had my Becker upgraded to include an aux input and it's fine, but down the road I will just have an entirely new system installed.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get a aftermarket unit that will sound a lot better.
But even if you want to look oem, you can get one of Thor Continental units. Very oem units with all the modern features.

How difficult is cable wiring after new getting that? Or did you go to a professional place to get installed? Also what model are you using.

·
Registered
89 560SEC
59 Posts
here's what I know (anyone correct me):
  • the 88-89 models came with the Becker BE0780 which if not removed/installed correctly will revert to displaying 4 dash lines "- - - -" due to the anti-theft mode, and must be unlocked with a dealer tool (a few rare dealers still have it) or sent out for repairs. www.beckerautosound.com can repair this and permanently remove the security feature. http://mercedeslist.com/780.html
  • 86-87 models came with the BE 754 which visually looks almost identical, and which may have similar security lockout features. http://mercedeslist.com/754.html
  • 90+ models came with the BE1480 which looks similar but has a silver accent. also just uses a code instead of a full lockout model http://mercedeslist.com/1480.html
My recommendation would be to source a working BE780 from ebay or a broken one and send it to Becker Auto Sound to have repaired ($195)

I believe for all 88-91 560SEC (maybe only a subset? at least on my '89) the back of the stereo had an extra amp unit (seen in your first photo with its own part number) for the 3-pin plug, which goes through the fader dial and then to 2 amps behind the rear seats, each for L and R channels, then to all the speakers from there used 2 the 560SEC came with assuming all factory wiring is present and not modified (including the fader dial in the center console and the factory amps behind the rear seats)

the 4-pin plug is for power/illumination. plug that in as normal. antenna cable as well. you won't use any of the L/R speaker plugs on the stereo because of the above extra amp wiring.

the 5-pin plug is for the security system. do not connect it to your head unit or you risk putting it into lock mode. instead, I believe you need to ground all those pins. I cannot say if you should ground the wires in the harness plug, best to leave it disconnected. For my 89 560SEC I had another of those plugs as a pigtail from another stereo, grounded all the wires coming out of the stereo and joined them to the other single-pin ground wire.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,092 Posts
happy with the clarion m508 so far
basic, simple, nice display
more pre outs thanks the continentals

higher end would be the new blaupunkt that came out

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,114 Posts
Happy with my Blaupunkt sound good and easy fit to originsl plugs . This one is portable you remove it from the holder with the handle thats part of the facia ..Also has the anti thieft flashing strobes in the front .

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,049 Posts
If you want to plug into the original power harness, you'll need an adapter. Otherwise you can just splice into the wires.

The only place I've been able to find the harness is Crutchfield. I bought one a month ago, but have yet to install my head unit.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,088 Posts
How difficult is cable wiring after new getting that? Or did you go to a professional place to get installed? Also what model are you using.
Word of caution; unless you decide to keep ALL of the original components in your vehicle (head unit, amps, wiring, etc.), you're going to have to change ALL of it.

This will include running new speaker wire, replace all speakers with industry-standard 4 Ohm drivers that will work properly with aftermarket amplifiers and head-units, bypass the fader switch and running new power and ground cables to your aftermarket amplifier.

It will become a major project. Well worth it if you're into audio. Not so much if you only listen to talk radio.

·
Registered
420SEL
1,176 Posts
My car came with an alpine already installed. So I just went with a newer alpine unit 172BT. It does what it’s supposed to do. And doesn’t look too tacky.

I ended up changing out all speakers and wired eventually. Morel component speakers all around with a 10 inch sub.
JL audio 300/4 for the Morels
JBL amp for the sub.

Running new cables to all the speakers is mandatory.

The whole project can be done in 3-4 hours easy.
Buy the best. audio components you can. Also get an 4 channel amp with 100watt per channel capacity. Anything less is a waste of time. You will thank me later as it’s better to have more in reserve than not.

Check out continental Radios. Sold in Europe. Very oem look. Porsche guys love it.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,049 Posts
Check out continental Radios. Sold in Europe. Very oem look. Porsche guys love it.
These are well-received in the R129 world too. I was going to recommend them, but to me they're more of a 90's look than 80's. They look perfect in the R129 because of that.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,565 Posts
The $450 Blaupunkt and the Continental plug into the factory wiring. So if your car still has the factory wiring they are a great choice to keep the car uncut .

But if your car ever had a custom radio in the past forget those . They won’t work well unless you have the factory wiring . If your car ever had a custom radio in the past , really You’ll need to run all new wire anyway and the clarion M508 or alpine are the best looking new choices . Or you can find “new in box vintage car stereos” in eBay for a period correct custom look

1 - 12 of 12 Posts