Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
Why E55 AMG don't come with stick Shift?[B)]
Not completely sure, but most of the early reviews of the E55 suggested that MB wanted to differentiate the car from the M5. I believe that the M5 has only been available with a manual tranny. MB probably thinking that the automatic would pull some customers in that the M5 would not ?

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
104 Posts
I know that some would buy an E55 if it had a stick. But there is not enough demand for t...

I know that some would buy an E55 if it had a stick. But there is not enough demand for the car to justify the Stick. The majority of Mercedes customers are not demand manual tranny in the E-Class nor E55. Selling only 500 cars per year does not justify the expense of building one.

There is more demand for the M5 - they sell like 2500 yearly.

www.E55AMG.com

·
Registered
SL 55 AMG (R 230)
14 Posts
Why E55 AMG don't come with stick Shift?[B)]
Mercedes-Benz develops their own automatic gear boxes, whereas other manufacturers (like BMW) buy standard parts.

Since there are no standard stick shifts available that can handle the power of AMG engines and survive AMG reliability tests, AMG has to use the reinforced Mercedes-Benz gearboxes.

Furthermore it would be pretty tough operating a stick shift on a 500 HP / 700 NM car for most AMG customers.

Ronald

1 - 5 of 5 Posts