Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 300 TD
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gripe. I think that MB is going to shit. I have been around Mercedes Benz cars al...

I have a gripe. I think that MB is going to crap. I have been around Mercedes Benz cars all of my life because that is what my parents have always driven. I am 33 and I have just bought a new one last year, a C class Kompressor. I have always done things like changing my own oil and stuff. Well, the parts that MB is now offering through their dealers is getting cheaper and cheaper. And I'm talking quality wise, not monetarily. The last oil filter I bought was made in India. Hell I can go to Advance and get a cheap Purolator if I wanted some crap made in India. Same goes for the wiper refills that I use on my mom's S class. Forever the dealer sold the good heavy all rubber Bosch refills. The last time I tried to buy some at the dealer they were some plastic junk like one might find at Kmart. What the hell is going on? I guess the influence that Chrysler is having on MB's parent corporation is finally showing. Anyone want to buy a nice used Chrysler C230 Kompressor? I'm gonna go buy a VW. At least they are moving in the right direction, up market instead of down market. DCX be damned.

·
Registered
1991 560 SEL
260 Posts
I don't think it is the Chrysler influence. I think they realize that they have to price ...

I don't think it is the Chrysler influence. I think they realize that they have to price cars to compete with Lexus and Acura. Looking at the newer cars, I don't think they are as solid as my '91 560 SEL-last of the 126 cars. I bought my wife a new VW. It has been perfect. On the positive note, the only cases of "brand engineering" have consisted of selling MB cars as Chrysler products. The new "Dodge" Sprinter is a Mercedes-Benz. The new Chrysler sports coupe will have MB parts. Lets just hope we never get a K-car powered S-class. I can just picture Ricardo Montalbon touting the "rich Corinthian leather and 2.2 turbo powered E/K-car! Yikes!!

·
Registered
1991 560 SEL
260 Posts
I'm pretty confident that the world's oldest car company will be okay. Looking at the new...

I'm pretty confident that the world's oldest car company will be okay. Looking at the newest cars, I think the trend is towards gadgets instead of quality. I drive a '91 with 197,000 miles on it. I like it for the basic solid construction. The first things to break are the stupid gadgets. Too bad I couldn't find a 560 with vinyl seats and hand crank windows. I like a solid car that goes fast and lasts forever. I don't need butt heaters. Kind like the walnut trim, though.

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
The trend should be towards both gadgets and quality just like in the past....

The trend should be towards both gadgets and quality just like in the past.

·
Registered
1991 560 SEL
260 Posts
True. Quality first, gadgets second. Actually, I should say technology and innovation, n...

True. Quality first, gadgets second. Actually, I should say technology and innovation, not gadgets.

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
True to some degree on gadgets. When I sat in the new CL and the S sedan, I noticed all t...

True to some degree on gadgets. When I sat in the new CL and the S sedan, I noticed all the buttons across the dash for various types of function. Even the seats control have more buttons than before. My first thought was, which is going to break first and which buttons I would never touch. I kind of miss my family 450SEL of the 70's. I still enjoy the W126 560SEL and the 95 S500 coupe. While both are still running very smoothly and trouble free, there is no reason for me to jump to a new one yet.

·
Registered
C280,500SL,Ferraris
11 Posts
Concur

SeanRob: I don't know all the stuff that's going on with the MB dealerships other than low customer satisfaction levels in the service areas, which is one of the reasons that caused them to contract Bain and Company to handle their re-org issues.

I experienced poor quality and service at European Motors (aka San Francisco Mercedes-Benz or Mercedes-Benz of San Francisco)in San Francisco; hence, I no longer bring any of my cars to them. Instead I bring them to a private mechanic specializing in high-end european exotic sports cars.

VW is a reliable and nice car; although, I would not REPLACE my MB for one; I might buy one IN ADDITION to my MBs. ;-)

·
Registered
1991 560 SEL
260 Posts
My experience with the 560 SEL was the reason I bought my wife a Volkswagen. She needed a...

My experience with the 560 SEL was the reason I bought my wife a Volkswagen. She needed a nen van, and I liked the quality of German cars. I picked up a new Eurovan. Kids like the pop top. Too bad I couldn't have picked up a V-Class with a CDI and pop top. Wish they'd sell it in the US. IF I want to carry my family of 6, and get diesel gas mileage, my only choice is the Sprinter. Nice, but a little large. I think a 35 mpg family van would sell. Why not a 270 CDI in a Dodge Caravan?, Or in a Durango?, or in an M-Class? VW could do the same. Why not sell the 45mpg Touran here?

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
I decided to look in on the newer Benz owners and I see many quality issues that I don't s...

I decided to look in on the newer Benz owners and I see many quality issues that I don't see in W123 section. I seriously wonder if MB will ever build another outstanding car like they did the W123. I haven't come across anyone with the newer cars bragging about having the high mileage like the W123 owners. I personally have "only" 216,400 miles on my '85 300DT and by the looks of things it'll probably go another 216,400 with no trouble.
My '85 doesn't have any "gadgets" other that climate control, cruise control and power windows and they all still work fine.

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
I tend to think MB has droped quality in favour of production numbers and profits. My '...

I tend to think MB has droped quality in favour of production numbers and profits. My '96 C180 seemed worse put together than the '90 Audi 80TD I used to own. The E220 I've got now seems better apart from the reliability issue I've been experiencing[:(].
My '81 W123 200 was my first and cheapest Benz, it had little history and a few owners yet in the two years owned nothing broke or neaded repairing. I swaped that for a '84 200 which again ran perfectly for over six years other than a £10 fuel pump, new tyres an a set of front pads. Afew years latter and a bit of an impulse buy[:I] I ended up owning a '73 230/6 with no history and more previous owners than a bogus time-share apartment. But still 8 years on; other than servicing, tax and insurance it's only cost me a few pounds for a gasket and £15 for a speedo cable.
My old faithfull '82 230CE was with me for 7 years and again only cost me £180 for part exhaust system and £50 for new discs & pads. My '61 220SEb (over 5 years now) again has been excellent £34 for a clutch slave cylinder and £78 rear shocks, but admitidly this covers very little mileage, I know its history and I'm only its 2nd owner[:)].

On the other had my latest two have been less than wonderfull. The C180 although with full dealer history (150,000 miles) suffered a broken heater, ABS problems, SRS problems and a engine rattle in a mater of 6 months. My E220 (80,000 miles) has experienced a failed airflow sensor, faulty throttle body, SRS light randomly coming on and now a possible headgasket[:O].
I however still like the E220 and have given it a fifth change by getting the gasket and SRS issues sorted along with a full service (I'll get the bill after it's done next week[xx(]). But if any thing else happens I've got it's possible replacements allready sorted;
A 107 280SL or 300SL, which although i'll be burdened with higher fuel costs I'll had a car I always drooled over as a kid and which will have a higher build and reliability standard which the '80s Merc seemed to have, it's also alot less insurance[?].
The new Mini, one of the few new cars I can get enthusiastic over and only costs £100 extra for 5 years servicing and comes with a three year warantee and a further two years labour only. A little different from the £750 for the Maintenance service on my C180[B)].
And finally a Jeep Cherokee 2.5 Deisel, which leaves me the quiestion how can the same dealer (Speeds - sells Mercedes Chrysler and Volvos) charge £74+vat ph labour on MB but less than £60 on a Jeep?)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts