Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1993 w124 2.8, you guys are usually good at answering my questioins, better then the dealership. if you could give me any input i would be happy to hear it. here they are:
1.does it hurt the car to turn the key, and not start the car, then try again? I know it hurts it to hold it too long, so sometimes I dont hold it long enough.
1(b). sometimes it starts up shaky and bumpy, and doesnt start up right away. what should i do if anything?
2. should i use 91 octane gas? it says so, but ive heard it doesnt matter.
3.when i roll down my window, i hear like a clicking noise. i dont know what it is or if its bad?

sorry i dont know much about cars, but im trying to learn because i love this car and wanna keep it for a long time. thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
300E
100 Posts
My 86 300E is sometimes a little reluctant to start. My dad has the same issue with his 420SEL. I think it might be a Mercedes thing more than a mechanical problem. Don't worry about it.

Use 91 octane gas, there are more detergents in it that are beneficial to the longevity of the engine. Plus, it's twenty f*****g cents. You can do it! A lot of people buy Benzes and then cheap out on maintenance and stuff like that. Don't be a cheapass, you're not driving a Honda.

I'll let the cheapass slide, but I'll ask kindly you don't use that other word on this forum, if you do feel the need to, censor it. - Tubs

·
Registered
95 E300D
154 Posts
window clicking

3.when i roll down my window, i hear like a clicking noise. i dont know what it is or if its bad?

This is likely to be due to a nylon gear in the window mechanism having worn out. If the auto switch off doesnt work when the window is down and then you hear the clicking then I would say its definitely the case. I dont believe it hurts anything but its fairly easy/cheap to repair from memory.

Keith[:)]

·
Registered
300E
100 Posts
deathrattle - 3/1/2005 12:47 AM
No there are not.The U.S. government regulates on this.
OK yeah, I went and educated myself on this..you're right on the amount of detergents being regulated. Still though, if your car was made to use premium unleaded, you should use premium unleaded. Using a lower octane gas might make it ping or knock, which is harmful to the engine.

·
Registered
300TE 4-Matic 300GD
330 Posts
Hi Spencerss.

1. No.

1b. If it's only sometimes, you should try to get someone that knows the 280 well to test your car. If the car is verified OK, the odd shaky start is probably related to the feeder side of the injection system, or a leaky EHA valve. Take it to a good shop.

2. Always use the specified gas. It does matter.

3. I agree with keith.

Regards

Geir

·
Registered
1995 E320
517 Posts
1. I have the same car 1993, 2.8 and the same problem. I did the same think with mine but the problem turned out to be the fuel accumulator 25% and 75% the spark plugs. I did replace the plugs after 25k and it was practically no electrode left in it. When I put the new ones, the car changed completely.
2. Use only premium gas this is a "LAW" if you want to have the engine for long time.
3. I think is one of the plastic gears take it a part and you will see it.

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
Sometimes CIS-E motors with high mileage have a bumpy or shaky start but quickly smooth out and run beautiful. It's the nature of the beast (actually just an aged EHA and fuel dist.) Don't worry about it.
Also, These engines are high compression and REQUIRE high octane. Refer to your owners manual for instructions on driving with low octane/quality fuel.
It is not the detergents they are worried about, it is engine knock under severe conditions such as driving in 100 degree plus weather with a load of passengers and running the A/C going up hill at 90 mph. Always remember thats how these cars are tested and engineered to perform. DO NOT COMPROMISE MBZ STANDARDS.. Good luck with your new car!

·
Registered
1996 S500 coupe
788 Posts
I have a shaky start too, but it improved 10 times after a fuel filter replacement.. still a bit shaky (when warm) but better than before

the other issue I have is a shaking when I am stopped in "D"... it appears its due to low idle, it would be nice if I could find an idle adjustment screw to raise the idle up a notch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts