Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, you read right - I hate my 2002 ML55 right now! :banghead:

My new front Mercedes OEM rotors and OEM brake pads are squealing like a deranged pig on crack cocaine!:crybaby2:

It's doing this to me:

ML55 Front Brakes:1poke:FAR888

I'd like to do this to it right now:

ML55 Front Brakes:bash:FAR888

I don't have access to Mercedes paste out here in West Africa so don't even suggest it or it will lead to this::argue:

My sister is currently in the US and I was considering asking her to buy me Posi Quiets, which some members have used with success.

I can only seem to find them online at the dreaded Ebay.:eek:

I was wondering if I could buy them online at another trusted site used by one of you.

I'd be grateful for your responses - Please help me kiss and make up :sloppy:with my ML55 again!:)

ps. I love Smilies...:surrender:

·
Registered
2004 ML350
381 Posts
FAR calm down its just brake squealing.Did you just change the brake pads recently and you dont have to use the mercedes paste only you can use other ones also

·
Registered
'00 w163 55 amg (sold) '02 w208 55 amg '03 w163 350 inspiration
711 Posts
ouch FAR. I'm sad for you, but glad you could let the glory out here on benzworld. How many miles on the pig brakes? mclass, understand, FAR is an attorney by trade, so details and that devil that lies in them is very irritating to him; I understand processes and exactness in my own profession so it is frustrating to repeat something you feel you shouldn't have to redo; IF you did it right the 1st time. FAR these OEM's, were they shipped from US, Europe, or you get and Africanar deal? Just helping you think here. Just my .02, but I would try the paste and tons of cleaner before putting on new shoes if at all possible--if it doesn't make $'s it doesn't make cents. FAR, you have 1 of the best looking stock AMG's in this forum; squeaky or not, @ least it's not an AIG.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ouch FAR. I'm sad for you, but glad you could let the glory out here on benzworld. How many miles on the pig brakes? mclass, understand, FAR is an attorney by trade, so details and that devil that lies in them is very irritating to him; I understand processes and exactness in my own profession so it is frustrating to repeat something you feel you shouldn't have to redo; IF you did it right the 1st time. FAR these OEM's, were they shipped from US, Europe, or you get and Africanar deal? Just helping you think here. Just my .02, but I would try the paste and tons of cleaner before putting on new shoes if at all possible--if it doesn't make $'s it doesn't make cents. FAR, you have 1 of the best looking stock AMG's in this forum; squeaky or not, @ least it's not an AIG.
Thanks for empathising oreif!:)

I'm not really mad just embarrassed and irritated.

The rotors and brake pads are Mercedes OEM bought in the US.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,519 Posts
Something is very wrong. The new OEM pads don't squeal a peep. You're not even in cold weather, a condition for which these pads squeal. I'm surprised at your pig brand pads/rotors. Take the wheels off, remount then and retorque to spec. Overtorquing is known to warp rotors. maybe you're at some threshold, I don't know. But something doesn't sound right.

Also, I'd get some kind of paste on the back of those pads. It doesn't have to be MB. Personally, I like the spray-on types. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Looks like you got some troubleshooting to do. But in the end if it ends up being pads, my Posi-Quiets have been pretty good. Only some squealing backing up on a rainy day. Best of luck!

·
Registered
BMW 2007 X3 3.0si, 1999 ML 320 -Sold-
356 Posts
I don't have access to Mercedes paste out here in West Africa so don't even suggest it or it will lead to this::argue:
Lol, I thought to myself.."I'm going to have to tell ANOTHER person what we did to my father's AMG to stop it from squeaking...", but you saved the day. Thank you, good sir. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol, I thought to myself.."I'm going to have to tell ANOTHER person what we did to my father's AMG to stop it from squeaking...", but you saved the day. Thank you, good sir. :thumbsup:
Ha ha ha...falconnian, pray tell me what your (father's) solution was...:bowdown:

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Something is very wrong. The new OEM pads don't squeal a peep. You're not even in cold weather, a condition for which these pads squeal. I'm surprised at your pig brand pads/rotors. Take the wheels off, remount then and retorque to spec. Overtorquing is known to warp rotors. maybe you're at some threshold, I don't know. But something doesn't sound right.

Also, I'd get some kind of paste on the back of those pads. It doesn't have to be MB. Personally, I like the spray-on types. Keep us posted.
Darkmann, you may be on to something about installation/torquing of wheels etc.

Yesterday, after work, I drove along the beachfront with my tinted windows UP and wearing DARK SUNGLASSES:cool: so no one would see the owner of the ML55 with squealing brakes!:D

As I drove, I got so irritated with the squeal that I slammed on the brakes hard enough for the ABS to kick in and after that....NO MORE SQUEALS...:dance:

.....I felt more comfortable and rolled my windows down, opened my sunroof and took off my dark sunglasses...proud, once again, to own a Mercedes ML55.......10 minutes later....the squeal was back with a vengence:elefant:........I quickly closed my sunroof, rolled up my tinted windows and donned my dark sunglasses:cool: disguise once more.:crybaby2:

I will have the installation of the brake pads/torquing of wheel bolts checked at the weekend after I have bought a big hat and a beard to disguise myself as I drive through the streets on the way to my mechanic.:p

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Were the new rotors "surfaced" before install??
I'm not too sure about what you mean by 'surfacing' but nothing at all was done to the rotor upon installation.

The squeals appeared approximately four months after installation.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like you got some troubleshooting to do. But in the end if it ends up being pads, my Posi-Quiets have been pretty good. Only some squealing backing up on a rainy day. Best of luck!
Indeed ML-O-PHILE!

Please indicate whether you bought them online and where you bought them - Is Ebay safe* for this sort of thing?

Thanks!:thumbsup:

* 'Safe' in this context (Ebay) is of course a relative term!:D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Indeed ML-O-PHILE!

Please indicate whether you bought them online and where you bought them - Is Ebay safe* for this sort of thing?

Thanks!:thumbsup:

* 'Safe' in this context (Ebay) is of course a relative term!:D
Aye I got those pads on ebay. $92.00 for complete front and rear set. The seller was propartsusa. Was a pleasant transaction.

It also appears you have discovered the Unsanctioned Mercedes secret to breaking in pads. (although your problem has returned) When I was Q/A for a Mercedes dealer in the early 90's, MBNA would have me apply "firm" pressure on the brakes from "generous" speeds two or three times. (translate this for yourself, lets just say WOOOOOOHAAAAAAW!) This solved all sorts of brake noise issues related to rotor glaze, poorly seated pads, etc.

Mercedes Q/A in my early 20's... It didnt get any better.... Lots of stories there....

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aye I got those pads on ebay. $92.00 for complete front and rear set. The seller was propartsusa. Was a pleasant transaction.

It also appears you have discovered the Unsanctioned Mercedes secret to breaking in pads. (although your problem has returned) When I was Q/A for a Mercedes dealer in the early 90's, MBNA would have me apply "firm" pressure on the brakes from "generous" speeds two or three times. (translate this for yourself, lets just say WOOOOOOHAAAAAAW!) This solved all sorts of brake noise issues related to rotor glaze, poorly seated pads, etc.

Mercedes Q/A in my early 20's... It didnt get any better.... Lots of stories there....
Ha ha ha...thanks for the website address.

I shall check them out.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2007 ML 500, 2008 ML 550, 2011 ML 63 AMG
363 Posts
FAR, although I haven't done it on the ML yet (this weekend I hope), I had a similar problem on my car.

I took the wheels off, had someone slowly spin the rotor while I gently applied an orbital sander with 100 grit emory cloth on it to the rotors, it put a really pretty swirl on them, just like new ones have. After doing this to both sides of all 4 rotors the squeal was gone!!!

Mind you I didn't let 'her' drive it after that either, so the noise may have been related to the 'loose nut' behind the wheel too. ;)

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
You're killing me with the smileys. If it is any consolation. I'm wearing sunglasses with a mustache too as every stop means a loud, embarrassing shreaking squeal. My only consolation is that I do need to change out the brakes anyways.

Interesting: an over torqued rotor can cause warping... can warping cause squealing?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts