Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 ML320, 05 ML350
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dealer yesterday and got to test drive the ML350. Very nice. I was interested. Got a brochure for home reading.
To my total surprise... they advertise it as starting under $40K, but what's not visible to the casual reader is that it's almost impossible to get that price (unless you really buy a bare bones).
I just wanted one feature: a power seat with memory. According to the brochure, I have to buy 3 packages to get that! Bottom line: close to $50K!!!
It's almost as if MB took the most popular features and distributed them into different packages. To be fair, most manufacturers do that nowadays. But MB goes one step beyond. They put the power seat switches into one package, and the memory switches into another. WTF. And why must I buy a sunroof if I wanted a power seat?
Some may argue that electric cables, computer settings and connections are prepackaged. Yadda, yadda, yadda.
But why does the Airmatic feature have to do with the sunroof? Why can't I get a suspension feature without a sunroof?
[xx(][:(!]

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
Me, too!

You are totally correct. It's ridiculous how they've packaged things. Packages are fine, but some of these, as you point out, are illogical. It does appear as if they're forcing people to buy whole packages to get a lot of individual options. This can make be resentful, which could backfire on them.

Not only that, there are logical combinations you just can't get. Why can't you get the sport interior (Alcantara/Aluminum) with the sport exterior (AMG)--makes no sense. I had to drop the AMG, ehich cost them $4,500.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree I had to drop the AMG on the 500 for the appearance package, I then requested that they change the wheels 19" on order to AMG 19", i was told i can only do this from Part Spares at $3150 and the $2000 value of the ordered wheels could not be credited so i would end up with a spare swet of 19" wheels. DUMB

·
Registered
'12 Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4 (sorry!)
397 Posts
RE: Me, too, too!

Greg,

after reading the US brochure (THX!), I couldn't agree more - it's ridiculous that the "warrior" AMG exterior has to be combined with a "softie" luxury leather interior in the US, while we here in Europe are free to combine the two.

Then again, the fact that the AMG option over here is just the bumpers (not the wheels) and that the price in EUR is quite similar to the one you pay in USD to get bumpers + wheels once again makes you wonder if MB clients are masochists......

Cheers from Italy

Birger

PS: Don't worry about MB's loss of USD 4½K - I'm sure youll end up getting the AMG bumpers aftermarket, which will earn MB a nice sum of $$$ [;)][;)]

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
RE: Me, too, too!

Birger - 5/5/2005 3:57 PM

PS: Don't worry about MB's loss of USD 4½K - I'm sure youll end up getting the AMG bumpers aftermarket, which will earn MB a nice sum of $$$ [;)][;)]
I'll probably get them if I suffer damage, like when my wife is on her cell phone and rolls into the car in front of her.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I dont think i will give AMG the cash, i will wait for Carlsson to bring out a styling kit and wheels for the W164. I have a 2001 Carlsson SLK and it ROX

1 - 6 of 6 Posts