Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like others here, I have had a starting problem and an intermittent stalling problem. Yeah, first thing I did was get an OVP. However, stupid me, I got it used off Ebay. So I put it in and things didn't really change. Of course, getting the used one, I wondered whether it also could be bad.

It seemed the starting was harder in cold weather, but then I realized that it took several cranking attempts even when the engine was warm. The car also stalled occassionally and I noticed a slight, irregular miss at idle. I read all about the OVP, cold start valve, temp sensor, fuel distributor, ignition module, crank sensor, fuel filter (changed that), throttle body (cleaned that), fuel injectors (used Seafoam), premium gas (used that), and I already had good plugs, wires, distributor cap.

I saw a few mentions about the ignition coil, but not a lot of talk about it. However, I began thinking that a weak or failing module would cause all the symptoms I was seeing. So I ordered one from autohausaz (great vendor) and put it in. WOW. The car fired right up, better than it has in a long time. Both when warm and when cold in the morning. It idles great and runs like new. So far, no stalling. It has 140,000 miles and is a 2.3.

So, I just wanted to point out that if people are having similar problems, to consider the ignition coil. I think the most significant clue was the fact that it had trouble starting when the engine was warm.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's on the driver side, bolted to the wheel-well. There is a black plastic cover on it. It's about $85.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts