Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. Happy New Year! I was blessed to graduate to a 2015 S550 just last Wednesday. I now have the best of both worlds. My '87 420 SEL is my daily driver here in the streets of Philadelphia taking in the daily abuse and scaring many drivers with her real bumpers. Lol! The 420 is hanging in there big time, they don't make cars like the W126 anymore. I'm closing in on 330,000 miles on the odo.

My 2015 will serve as the new highway runner for vacation and business trips since she has the CPO warranty coverage which is good until Jan 2023.She is a beast to drive with her powerful engine and handling capability.

Here are a few pictures. The color is Palladium Silver. Hope you enjoy!

Attachments

·
3,910 Posts
Hi there!

WOW!

"The 420 is hanging in there big time, they don't make cars like the W126 anymore. I'm closing in on 330,000 miles on the odo. "

That's really quite a testament to both design & build quality, PLUS your dedication & care when it comes to operation & maintenance detail.. I say very well done with both!

Plus, what a nice car you have added too!

It looks like a 'starship'.. Where's the gearstick?, I am wondering.. as all my cars through the decades have had one....

Congrats man!

MBL

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts
Our 2014 cabriolet is so very similar to the C126. The 7 speed sport transmission is very nice, and a v6 is quite responsive. I told my wife when she turns on the car, to operate it properly she needs to press the E button and the Transmission to S. Now she will never stall out at a light and she will always appreciate the testicular fortitude of the green light! One issue I run into on the new car is the smart brakes, it senses how fast the foot is off the accelerator to the brake and takes over with gusto. Welcome to the digital car...

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there!

WOW!

"The 420 is hanging in there big time, they don't make cars like the W126 anymore. I'm closing in on 330,000 miles on the odo. "

That's really quite a testament to both design & build quality, PLUS your dedication & care when it comes to operation & maintenance detail.. I say very well done with both!

Plus, what a nice car you have added too!

It looks like a 'starship'.. Where's the gearstick?, I am wondering.. as all my cars through the decades have had one....

Congrats man!

MBL
Hey MB. Long time my friend. Yes it took sometime getting used to the gear stalk on the right side of the steering wheel. Up for Reverse, Down for Drive, push button on end for Park. Lol!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our 2014 cabriolet is so very similar to the C126. The 7 speed sport transmission is very nice, and a v6 is quite responsive. I told my wife when she turns on the car, to operate it properly she needs to press the E button and the Transmission to S. Now she will never stall out at a light and she will always appreciate the testicular fortitude of the green light! One issue I run into on the new car is the smart brakes, it senses how fast the foot is off the accelerator to the brake and takes over with gusto. Welcome to the digital car...
Yes i'm getting a serious awakening to the newer Benz technology. I've learned how to shut off the ECO feature where it cuts the engine out at stop lights. I was wondering why the car was hesitating a 1/2 second to take off again. And that braking feature is awesome once you get used to it. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Interesting on the brakes. I left foot brake so there are times the accelerator pedal is rising while the brakes are being applied. Wonder how the computer would handle "instantaneous" or overlapping brake applications.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I would agree that the W222 would be the next best thing to a w126 imo for me to jump into if I wanted something modern. Don't get me wrong the w126's are awesome to drive and enjoy, but they are 30+ yrs old, and there are some upgraded creature comforts that would be nice to enjoy when yachting down the road. I eye the w222's every time I go to the dealer, and it gets tempting to throw the towel in and change. If the w222 came in a wagon I would be the first to sign up. So for now, I keep on bugging my sales contact to get me into a new or lightly used e63 estate in Dolomite Brown Metallic or Designo Mystic Brown, but they are nearly non existent. Actually they almost don't exist :(

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on the new ride. I would agree that the W222 would be the next best thing to a w126 imo for me to jump into if I wanted something modern. Don't get me wrong the w126's are awesome to drive and enjoy, but they are 30+ yrs old, and there are some upgraded creature comforts that would be nice to enjoy when yachting down the road. I eye the w222's every time I go to the dealer, and it gets tempting to throw the towel in and change. If the w222 came in a wagon I would be the first to sign up. So for now, I keep on bugging my sales contact to get me into a new or lightly used e63 estate in Dolomite Brown Metallic or Designo Mystic Brown, but they are nearly non existent. Actually they almost don't exist :(
Thank you! I'm so glad that I still have W126 to drive daily. I'm mainly running the W222 on the weekends.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
CPO is the only way to go with a new MB. Don't even want to think about that thing being 30+ years old. :eek:

Probably gives a nice ride, though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CPO is the only way to go with a new MB. Don't even want to think about that thing being 30+ years old. :eek:

Probably gives a nice ride, though. :thumbsup:
I can't even imagine the tech in 30 years! Lol! The ride is very, very nice and controlled. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
nice, my dad has one from 2015, he drives 20000 miles a yr on it...it floats...even feels faster than my e63..He likes it much better than the w221 that my mom is relegated to now. Seats are softer

·
Registered
19,471 Posts
Congrats!
Both are fine looking mods of transportation.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nice, my dad has one from 2015, he drives 20000 miles a yr on it...it floats...even feels faster than my e63..He likes it much better than the w221 that my mom is relegated to now. Seats are softer
Cool! It's very fast! I love how the driver's seat hugs you when you're going into turns and you can adjust how much hugging it does.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
Prochambers
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing