Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

I gotta ask

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  430 
#1 ·
How are you SLK 230 and 320 guys doing against the S2000 when confronted?

#2 ·
I had a client 2 years ago who had (I think) a 2003. We paired up at a traffic light one night on our way home from a meeting at his office. He took me off the line, but I blew by him as soon as I hit 3rd. I'm not sure if he laid off or if I totally took him. He never mentioned it (so neither did I) and funny... I never did any more business with him... so I'm assuming I blew him away. This was my first and only experience with an S2000.

#3 ·
My guess is he mis-shifted or backed off. It should be strong to about 80mph. Lack of torque starts to show past that. Once he hits 6K, it's an NSX-like rocket. If you shift early, you drop out of the VTEC range and it goes back to its Accord-like performance. If you have driven one, you'll know what I mean.

The '32 should have no problem off the line. I have issues with mis-shifts in the midrange, so more often than not I get smoked by anything faster than a GTI. Very frustrating.[:(!]

#5 ·
There are actually two problems with my car. The intercooler pump keeps blowing fuses. Most people on this forum haven't reported problems though. There are C32s with my problem. I wouldn't worry about it unless you see the symptoms. When my car is on, I womp on just about everything out there.

#7 ·
Kinda like the lead ball and the feather in a vacuum.....both dropped from the same height at the same time will hit the ground at the same instant....er,uh, turn on the cop's bubble gum machine an equal amount... or sumpthin'... see, I'm old and can't tell you the difference between Goldilocks, Lil Red Ridin Hood, the bad wolf or th porridge [:D][:D][:eek:)]

Regards

#8 ·
i think a S2K will own a 230K or a 320...[8)]

240 hp [6 speed] vs 185/190 hp or 225 hp...plys i'm sure s2k's have a weight advantage over our cars too...

i did race a z4 2.5 with my 230k...hehe...we were dead even from stop light to stop light...[:p]

#9 ·
Benz's are more of a freeway car. Even on bimmerforums they say benz's are whores on the freeway but not to worry at a light.

I have ran with E36 M3's which are 240 hp stock so I have been trying to find a s2k to run(freeway of course). I have yet to find one who is willing to run me.....maybe its the loud suoercharger.haha

#10 ·
linh - 3/17/2005 5:26 PM
Lol.....i raced my brother and Arnee S2000 many times and they both left my Slk 230 with pulley upgrade in the dust. There's only a couple times that i was able to hold my ground and that because Arnee back off. But one time when we were out in the back road/mountain, i pretty much disappeared in front of him and for sure, it has nothing to do with the car, it just the driver. Let just said, he's suck!! His excuse, because the front tire is one size larger then the factory set-up.

No flaming here... just responding.

Yeah, the S2k leaves a pullied 230, like Linh describes. Just a side-note, Linh's pullied 230 leaves my E320 at the top end from 90+.

And yes, I drove slow on Ortega, it was my first week of owning the S. After a couple of autocrosses, one big-track event and property tire setup, I'm more confident with it now -- but I still wouldn't push the car on public canyons like I did with my SLK230...rear on the s2k is too twitchy.

#12 ·
All i heard was super loud exhaust when you take off. I thought you said my brother S2000 exhaust sound was too rice? Your is even worse.
I didn't see you -- but then again I wasn't looking for you either.

Why I don't know what you're talking about. I have a stock exhaust with changed-out tips, remember? It's one of the quietest exhausts for the S2000. It must be the Mugen header.

Your brother's exhaust is loud, not ricey. There's a difference. [:)]

#13 ·
MrSpace - 3/17/2005 8:53 PM

I wouldn't even race a S200 with a SLK230 thinking I'd win. Only reason to do it is to see by what margin I would lost;)

Etienne
Maybe the races I've been in have been with poor drivers, but I've beat two S2000's from stop lights. Both times they knew it was a race. One was revving the engine. The other pointed ahead. I beat both to around 70mph then we had to back off because of traffic. Neither one got off the line very well, and I was ahead of both by at least a car length.

Funny, when I first read this post I thought the poster would get a lot of sarcastic responses of "beat them", "watch them in my rearview mirror", "wait on them at the next light", "ask them if I have a brake light out"........... [:D]

Instead, everyone talks about getting beat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.