Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car is fantastic. I have put 500 km on the car and I am more impressed than I thought was possible!!
It is more sporty to drive (it got sport package and Airmatic) than my 04 E320T 4Matic with Airmatic DC and NO sound inside in 150 km/h.
If I could marry this SUV i would drive to the church right away.
[:)]
I will give more info later, but now I have to take this killer of a car on another trip[:)][:)]

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK350,C230Komp
305 Posts
Congrads... cool...

How come the front seats look like 2 toner color?
and what does the handle on the inner side of the front seat do?

·
Registered
'12 Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4 (sorry!)
397 Posts
Tillykke med din ny '06 ML 350!!!

Hi, Ansan

Congratulations, the car looks great! The dark alcantara maybe shows up seat marks more than the light grey version - at least in photos. I've seen a couple of test cars that looked like yours, the "two-tone effect" may be more visible in a photo than in real life, I think.

I look forward to your further reports!

Birger

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,111 Posts
ansan - 4/15/2005 7:48 AM

This car is fantastic. I have put 500 km on the car and I am more impressed than I thought was possible!!
It is more sporty to drive (it got sport package and Airmatic) than my 04 E320T 4Matic with Airmatic DC and NO sound inside in 150 km/h.
If I could marry this SUV i would drive to the church right away.
[:)]
I will give more info later, but now I have to take this killer of a car on another trip[:)][:)]
Excellent! Where are you located (plese specify in your profile). I believe the Sport Package in the US is the AMG exterior. Do you mean the Appearance Package?

I have the Alcnatara ordered, as well. Is that the Ash color (doesn't look like Charcoal--or maybe its the flash)?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Greg W.

I am from Norway, but I got a house in Arizona so this car is my vacation car with US specs. The car got the apperance package and not sport package (but I get confused because we call that sport in Europe).

The interior is the charcoal (black) and there is possibly a slight colordifferense. The seats are so much better than the standard seats (I tried a ML500 without the apperance package, because the car that I specified and orded in desember 2004 is not produced as it shoud be).

But I picked the ML350 because the ML500 did not feel much more powerfull than the ML 350.

I post more pictures later.

Regards, ANSAN

·
Registered
2013 ML-63 AMG, 2010 C350 4matic
221 Posts
Congrats ansan, beautiful car.
Did you actually try the ML-500 and ML-350 and did not feel much power difference? or the engine specs of the V8 did not appeal much to you.

·
Registered
ML350 Iridium/Black
182 Posts
VERY nice

that is the EXACT configuration i want my 350. do you have the lighting package? Anything you don't like about it? More info. please. Is the airmatic worth getting? Finally, someone who actually has the car...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello jean7of9!

Yes, I tried the ML500 as well, and yes it had a little more punch from 0, but not as much as the 10.000 USD indicates.
I was as surpriced with the performance of the ML350 as I was dissaponted with the ML500's performance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
V8s

ansan - 4/19/2005 7:46 AM

Hello jean7of9!

Yes, I tried the ML500 as well, and yes it had a little more punch from 0, but not as much as the 10.000 USD indicates.
I was as surpriced with the performance of the ML350 as I was dissaponted with the ML500's performance.
Of course, the true cost is less than the face value difference because of the features that are standard with the 500, but If I wanted a V8 I would definitely wait until the new 4-valve units appear, most likely next year. The 4.6 will have more power and better economy than the current 5.0.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RE: V8s

Hello GregW.

Yes, I agree. I allways want more power, but if I wanted more then the 268hp in my ML350, it atleast should be the new 5,5 litre or the 6,3 AMG. After spending some 400 miles in my new SUV I can only imagine how this would be with a 388- or 504 hp engine or the upcoming 4.0 litre CDI engine with 315hp/730Nm dieselengine.

See under for a quote in the latest info from
www.jesmb.de about the new V8 gasoline engines:

"Es wird zwei neue V8 Modelle der M273-Familie geben. Einmal der M273 E46 (S 450), er leistet 243KW / 330 PS mit 4,6 Liter Hubraum sowie den M273 E55 mit 285KW/ 388 PS mit 5,5 Liter. Ebenfalls wird ein neuer AMG-V8 Saugmotor mit 6,3 Liter vorgestellt. Er leistet 370 KW / 504 PS."

Regards from Norway!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Tires on your new 06 ML 350?

Hi, ansan/BÃ¥rd

What brand and type of tires are on your new car?? In the Norwegian ad where you offer it for sale, you state that it's equipped with all-season tires, but I've had no luck in finding any all-seasons in the 255/50-19 size that's on W164's equipped with the Appearance Package.

Kind regards,
Birger

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
RE: Tires on your new 06 ML 350?

Birger - 4/19/2005 2:17 AM

Hi, ansan/BÃ¥rd

What brand and type of tires are on your new car?? In the Norwegian ad where you offer it for sale, you state that it's equipped with all-season tires, but I've had no luck in finding any all-seasons in the 255/50-19 size that's on W164's equipped with the Appearance Package.

Kind regards,
Birger
I believe the stock tire with the Appearance and AMG packages is the Michelin 4x4 Diamaris, which is not a tire for snow use. The Pirelli Scorpion Zero would be a snow-rated option in 19", however. Tire Rack has it in 255/50 for $159 on closeout.http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+Zero

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Hello Birger.

I think the 19" wheels are Bridgestone, but I will look at the pictures (I am back in Norway). They are rated M+S I believe, but I would not try to tackle a Norwegian winter on those. The only one I have tried as a partly success (just hit the ditch once...) as M+S tire in Norway is the Pirelli Scorpion tire that GregW mention. I allways, however, goes for wintertires on my car and my favorite is Dunlop WinterSport M3 which is excelent.

My Arizona ML 350 is getting installed 22" wheels with Pirelli tires today, so I am looking forward for pictures of that.

Regards from Norway!

·
Registered
397 Posts

Hi ansan/BÃ¥rd and Greg,

thanks a lot for the information. I already thought that the tires might be Michelin all over (there was something on that on some MB site) - and there has been a number of photos out showing the 19" Diamaris'es:

- which as you correctly put it is NOT really something to drive on all year round, even if you stay on mostly well maintained roads.

The fact that ansan/BÃ¥rd's AZ ML seems to have come with Bridgestones (it must be the Turanza ER30:
)
doesn't surprise me - the photos you made seem to confirm it. Still, only a summer tire.

Greg, thanks for the advice on the Scorpion:
but from experience (with Generals on my W163) I will never again buy a tire that's marked "phaseout". Blow or damage one tire, and you risk having to get four. Apart from that, while it's not a bad design, it seems to get LOUD when aging.

Checking further on the Tirerack site, there's another possibility in 255-50/19, also a Pirelli:

- aka the Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico.

Depending on availability here (and what my W164 comes with), I might consider having a before delivery swap performed.

Another possibility in all-season might be the Kumho ECSTA STX:

- which seems to have a nice enough thread pattern, but maybe tending a bit too much towards aggressive (or noisy). Apart from coming as OEM on various Korean vehicles I don't know anything much on Kumho - any opinions?

Birger

·
Registered
2,111 Posts

ansan - 4/20/2005 11:09 AM

I think the 19" wheels are Bridgestone, but I will look at the pictures (I am back in Norway). They are rated M+S I believe, but I would not try to tackle a Norwegian winter on those.
Confirming Birger's post, the ones I saw on an Appearance Package 350 yesterday were Bridgestone Turanza ER30s.

Read survey & reviews here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Turanza+ER30#Survey

They do not appear to be snow-rated.

This is what The Tire Rack says in a comparison test:

"The Turanza ER30 is produced specifically as an Original Equipment tire, and can be found on a variety of vehicles from BMW, Mazda, and Lexus. The Turanza ER30 is fairly conventional in its appearance, with subtly larger outside shoulder blocks to aid dry road cornering, a continuous, notched center rib to block tread noise from escaping from the footprint and improve steering response, along with circumferential channels and lateral grooves in the intermediate rows of tread blocks to help channel water and prevent hydroplaning.

On the road portion of the test, the Turanza ER30 was found to offer reasonable ride quality, especially for a tire with a W-speed rating, doing a good job absorbing the harsh impacts from expansion joints in the expressway. Overall handling was rated highly by our team, while noise comfort was found to be the best of the three Grand Touring Summer tires in this evaluation.

On the track in the dry, the Turanza ER30 provided stable cornering and predictable handling, providing an average overall lap time virtually identical to the first place Michelin Pilot Primacy. Drivers felt confidence under hard braking, and steering response was crisp.

On the track in the wet, the Turanza ER30 was also able to provide predictable handling and steering response. Stability in the sweeping corners was good, but could not quite match the average overall lap time of the first-place Pilot Primacy."

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

The ML handled PERFECT with the standard 19" Bridgestone tires and also the SUV was more quiet than my 04 E320T 4Matic with 18" wintertires (which normally are very quite) and I mean MORE quite.

I checked inside my new ML350 everywhere I could, and it has ALOT of sound damping materials everywhere. On the inside of the wheelsarc (towards the now smaller...(or what Birger) luggagespace), it had 2" thick (and heavy) sounddamping, so the SUV infact is as quite as a S-class!!!

That may explain why it is almost as heavy as the old W163.

Anyway it is a sweety, and I am totally lost!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts