Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my 560 out for a 200 mile ride yesterday,road beautiful,when i got home,turned her off and battery light on dash stayed on,hubby took terminal off battery and as soon as he touches terminal to baterry make sound like doors locking,that brrrrr noise,at first we thought was antenna,unhooked that,no change,i really wanted to take another ride on sunday,but i worried battery will die if we stop anywhere,my mechanic is on vacation till dec 6 :(, sandy

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Turned her off and battery light on dash stayed on,hubby took terminal off battery and as soon as he touches terminal to batery make sound like doors locking,that brrrrr noise,at first we thought was antenna,unhooked that,no change.
Alternator take a poo?

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
DO you folks have a volt/ohmeter? Hook up the battery, start the car and check the voltage at the terminals on the battery- should be between 13.6 and 14.1 if I recall. If this checks out your charging system is fine, you will need to then track down the errant circuit. If the voltage is less than 13.6v then your alternator or regulator is the likely culprit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for the info,we have no way to test,will run by autozone in morning and see if they can check,thank you sandy

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
The most common cause of these symptoms is that you've lost a diode module in the alternator. Having the alternator rebuilt is much less expensive than replacing it. If you or your husband have a few tools and a bit of an adveturous spirit, the job to take it out and put it back in is not difficult.

Scott

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
thank you for the info,we have no way to test,will run by autozone in morning and see if they can check,thank you sandy
I would start there, also when was the last time you did anything with the belts?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi,was in shop for 3 months getting transmission rebuilt in spring,not sure if he checked belts>when key on,battery dash light goes off?unfortunitly my hubby loves to tinker on his cars but he never does it right,then goes to mechanic anyway,i really don't want him doing more damage,lol,he thinking of buying him a 450,let him do anything he wants to his

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
But its on while running?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
no,only comes on when car off and stays on with key out
When you have the ALT test done, REMOVE your battery and have them test that too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts