Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300D-Turbo
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1978 300D

154,300 miles from a guy who didn't drive it in the winter, and it shows. Hardly any rust. Sorry for the no pics. I will once it's off the stands. The head gasket went out and so I replaced it. So I'm finally starting it for the first time and all it does is endlessly crank AND light smoke seems to be coming a bit from the old style glow plug lines. This smoke could just be from the oil that probably got on it, or maybe something else.

I changed the oil (duh, I know)
Properly flushed the system a lot from every possible angle.
Primed the fuel a good bit. Think I need to bleed the lines a bit?

Thoughts? What am I forgetting. Me thinks it's glow plugs or injector related.

Maybe I can get a video up.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
Loosen all of the Fuel Injection Line Nuts at the Injectors and crank the Engine and see if Fuel Is coming out. That will also bleed any Air out that is trapped between the Fuel Injectin pump and the Injectors. (That is the High Pressure part of the System.)

The Car having set for a long time while being fixed the Fuel in the Hoses could have migrated back to the Fuel Tank. Meaning it would take considerable use of the Hand Primer Pump to bring Fuel up the the Fuel Supply part of the System.

Depending on how the Timing Chain was handled while the Head was removed the Camshaft Timing or Fuel Injection Pump Timing can be off.

Line up the Camshaft Timing Gear Mark on the back of the Gear with the one on the Camshaft Bearing Tower and look at the degrees on the Crankshaft Damper that the pointer points to.
When the Engine was new it lined up with OT (TDC, Top Dead Center #1). After some mileage the timing gets a little later after TDC

·
Registered
5 Speed "85" Euro TD , 5 speed "85" Euro 240D, "79" 5 spd 240D, 5 spd "94" Dodge/Cummins PU
664 Posts
It takes about 12 seconds for the fuel to get up to the IP which seems like forever when your cranking. these cars can be tow started if thats an option where you are. Something else to keep in mind. When you keep cranking the fuel will wash down the cylinder walls which will reduce compression. I have started these engines (with really low compression) by squirting a little lub oil into the cylinders via the GP holes to gain compression. You probably have her fired up by now anyway:)

·
Registered
1982 300D-Turbo
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The timing is okay, maybe a tiny bit off, but , I found the marks and lined it up all good. You can't get the head on or rather the valves are way off.

I took off the 17mm injector nut/cap things, and cranked the engine, and though I didn't have the best angle, I didn't see lots of fuel spraying from the injector... drat. What now?

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
122 Posts
Try to start it by towing it. I had the same problem with my 82 VW diesel after rebuilding the heads on it. Timing was correct, was getting fuel, but it would not start with the battery. Tow started it and let it run for a while, and since then it has started every time. The first start after it has been put back together is always the toughest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts