Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Clk 430 Lorinsor springs 19" Oz Opera/ 00 ML 320 19" Moda R6
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 00 ml 320. I just got a set of 20x8.5 wheels et 38. What size tire do i run 295/45/20??? Can i run a 50 series tire thanks

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Most members who have installed aftermarket 20" wheels have 275/45/20 tyres.

ps.

The straight answer to your question is 'yes' you could as long as they are 20" tyres you can have whatever series tyre (sidewall) you want.

How they will look is another matter altogether.

There are a lot of posts on this subject on the Forum if you search.

·
Registered
99 Clk 430 Lorinsor springs 19" Oz Opera/ 00 ML 320 19" Moda R6
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wantto make sure the tires do not put extra stress onto the trannu or differential some tech at rhe wheel shop said it can

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Well, the tech is probably right.

Your ML came equipped with 16" wheels and tyres which was probably the optimum in terms of ride comfort and more importantly unsprung weight.

20" wheels and tyres is bound to be heavier and will require your truck brakes, suspension and steering to work that little bit harder.

But a lot people with ML320s install larger wheels and tyres so you will not be the first to take the 'risk' - At least you know you and the truck will look cool!

·
Registered
ML430 '99' E280 '94'
17 Posts
Increasing the wall aspect of the tyre can be devastating if you don't fully understand the effects of what you are doing! The circumference of the factory tyre was calculated with more than comfort in mind, the wheel sits in an arch attached to the chassis by the arms and suspension - If you increase the circumference of the tyre you increase the chance of rubbing or damaging the tyre/car under the travel limits of the suspension.

Before buying your tyres use a tyre size calculator to compare factory tyre to desired sizes for example a 295-50-20 tyre is around 7cm taller meaning 3.5cm closer to the arch at all times, this may cause an impact inside the arch under heavy braking on a corner. When you use this type of diameter increase it will also mean youre going to be doing 65mph when the speedo says 60 How friendly are your police?

If you change the tyre width to match the wall profile at 50 you would need a 235 width
which may be acceptable for Winter conditions but could be frowned upon by car insurance companies if the manufacturer specified 265 or 275 widths, as 235 is classed as degrading the cars braking ability.

I believe in Iceland/Nordic countries some have fitted very large tyres but they also lifted the body to match - Not the look you probably want.

295-40-20 or 275-45/40-20 check prices and rotate front to rear half way through to get even wear otherwise the Diffs can get strained, generally you should replace all 4 tyres at the same time.

Good luck and enjoy

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
the stock tire diameter is 29".. You can easily go to 31" diameter before needing to think of lifting. I believe around 32" you definitely have to raise things a bit. I am running 30.7" and I LOVE them. The extra sidewall makes things much more comfortable. I went with a high speed rated tire so that it would reduce sidewall flex. The ML has huge wheel wells and can definitely accommodate taller tires without difficulty.

Still, I would not add ANY unsprung weight to my ML if it had a v6.

Why do so many people with ml320's focus on putting big (slow) wheels on? Its like a disproportionate amount of people here with bigger wheels are running 20's+ with a 6 cylinder engine..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts