Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I found the source of the transmission fluid leak. I've gone through a quart of tranny fluid in about 30/40 miles. There is a tube that goes from the bottom of the radiator on the far passenger side of the radiator (not the transmission cooler on the other side of the car). It comes out, looking at it from the front of the car, turns right then left and goes back to the transmission. It sits about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the engine. It also runs next to the drain tube for the turbo. There are a couple of flare fittings that I can see and it's leaking from one of the flare fittings. What is that thing called and how do I repair it (I'm going to try just tightening it but if that doesn't work...) I don't think it's one of the cooling hoses, they seem to be on the other side of the engine. I can't find anything in my Haynes manual. I don't like Haynes, I wish there was another manual available but I can't find one.

·
Super Moderator
89 Mercedes 300E, 91 Mercedes 300CE, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,665 Posts
The "transmission cooler" you are referring to is in fact the oil cooler.The transmission cooling lines run to the bottom of the radiator itself.One on the drivers side of the engine and one on the passenger side of the engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's what it was all right, the trans cooler tubes. I've replaced one and when I take the tranny out (I'm having other trouble, trans fluid pumping out of the breather on top of the trans, see newer thread) and check the torque converter I'm going to replace the other side too. And even though they're not leaking, I'm going to replace the rubber ones too. Pardon my ignorance, this is my first Benz and, although I love the car, it's got weird problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts