Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

201 - 214 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Installing Tips

Just installed the fully smoke tail lights. They look much better on a black car then do the regular red OEMs. The 3rd brake light looks good (outdated but still acceptable), especially when the brake lights are on. It only took an hour to unscrew the old ones out and replace them with the updated LEDs ones.

The hardest part of this install was figuring out what kind of tool would fit in the tight spaces so to unscrew and re-screw the three 5/16" bolts hold each tail light to the body. Most of my tools were too big so the best way to get leverage is to use the OE allen wrench behind the hydraulic pump latch. I inserted this into the hex socket and I was was done in no time.

Although, the last delay was finding a spot for the load resistor; five minutes of blindly feeling around the inside of the rear fender and I finally found a real good spot for it. The best spot for this thing is where the corner of the tail light meets the rear fender and upper bumper. There is a sloped flat spot where the fender screws into the chassis. I stuck it directly on the inside rear fender wall and had the bottom of it resting of that shelf while the corner was snugged up against the screw.

·
Registered
297 Posts
On your list of things you "want", 32krazy!! BTW, group buy ends tomorrow (4/10/09), I already notified Vanessa, the carparts-online GB rep.. She was very understanding, although the required 10 buyers quota wasn't fulfilled. Only because this GB got side swiped by K2motor's phenomenal sale bargain at NewEggMall. Here are some more pics of the before and after installation.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
shoot man thats cake! maybe we can grab a cold one on the weekend take some fotos of these great rides on the beach!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
ha! my cold ones usually consist of water with lemon! but ill slurge for some down home sweet tea! ill pm ya in early may when my plans firm up. im thinking of surprising mom and not telling her im coming

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yo Manic! Can I get in on the group buy still - looking for fully smoked - thinking they will look hot on my original '98 model in the discontinued Black Opal (there's another name for it...it's the Jade/Blue/Black paint color)...do ya think these would be a good fit?

If so - count me in!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Slick98 said:
Yo Manic! Can I get in on the group buy still - looking for fully smoked - thinking they will look hot on my original '98 model in the discontinued Black Opal (there's another name for it...it's the Jade/Blue/Black paint color)...do ya think these would be a good fit?

If so - count me in!
Fully smoked tail lights will look good on any ride (except white). Unfortunately, it's too late to be taking orders now. Where were you 2 months ago when I was trying so hard to wrangle up buyers? I pulled the plug yesterday and I already corresponded with Carparts-Online.de about closing down this GB. Sorry, but your only option now is retail. Visit:

Fully Smoke
Mercedes SLK R170 - SCHWARZE LED Rückleuchten - Carparts-Online GmbH

to get fully smoked tail lights. And:

Red/Clear
Neweggmall.com - 1998-2004 Mercedes Benz Slk-Class R170 LED Tail Light

Red/Smoked

for the other version of LED lights.

Lastly, thanks to:

DSOG Thomas
82eman
wilson1830
Kirill

for making this GB possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Fully smoked tail lights will look good on any ride (except white). Unfortunately, it's too late to be taking orders now. Where were you 2 months ago when I was trying so hard to wrangling up buyers? I pulled the plug yesterday and I already corresponded with Carparts-Online.de about closing down this GB. Sorry, but your only option now is retail. Visit:

Fully Smoke

Red/Clear

Red/Smoked

Lastly, thanks to:

DSOG Thomas
82eman
wilson1830
Kirill

What a good looking car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Fully smoked tail lights will look good on any ride (except white). Unfortunately, it's too late to be taking orders now. Where were you 2 months ago when I was trying so hard to wrangle up buyers? I pulled the plug yesterday and I already corresponded with Carparts-Online.de about closing down this GB. Sorry, but your only option now is retail. Visit:

Fully Smoke

Red/Clear

Red/Smoked

Lastly, thanks to:

DSOG Thomas
82eman
wilson1830
Kirill

Yeah...sorry, I was a bit busy dealing with my Dad being diagnosed with ALS and the last 4 weeks of touch-and-go in the ICU...now that he's back to a positive uptick (for now) I jumped on the forum to take my mind off things.

No biggie - chances will come...and go - nothing else, the cliche of "life is short" is banging home big-time right now for me...embrace life, gents, or any other lady who's willing to embrace ya :p

Thanks anyway for the effort, Manic :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am interested in buying my set of tails and realize the GB is over with. Are the tails on neweggmall the same as the ones from the GB?

201 - 214 of 214 Posts