Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'80 300SD (W116), '81 300D, '89 560SL, '01 E320
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to a local junkyard and found two w123s -- an 85 300TD and an 80 (if I remember correctly) 300TD Wagon. A lot has been taken, but there's lots of trim and stuff behind the dash still there. For mine, I took a bunch of stuff, like door and some window seals, speedometer (wrong one, unfortunately, since mine's not a turbo), some clips, the headlight switch, tail and front corner lights (no bezels unfortunately), the vacuum valve in the driver's door that controls the central lock, the cruise control amp, some misc. trim and plastic that was left, and some more that I can't remember offhand.

Most of the vacuum actuators seem to still be there, as do the obscure or hard to get electronic parts. One engine seemed to have all the injectors still sitting in it.

All the outside trim is still on the car, and I was thinking of getting it.

What else should I take? If anyone wants to buy anything, I would not mind going back! But I also would like to be sure to take what's worth taking, so I will have the parts available "in stock".

Thanks and let me know!

·
Registered
1985 300CD Turbo coupe, 2006 E320 CDI sedan
573 Posts
Your location would be helpful. And for clarification; are the cars you mentioned actually a 1985 turbo diesel sedan and a 1980 diesel station wagon?

//greg//

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Interior color of the 1980 wagon? I need a sunroof panel (interior trim). Be sure to remove the handle FIRST, before trying to unclip a sunroof panel.

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,063 Posts
Things to get from W123 wagons:

0. Roof rails (the horizontal ones that go between the front-to-back rails on the roof)
1. Cargo cover
2. Cargo cover hardware (often left behind when cargo cover is taken, or partially left behind)
3. Rear panel door latch mechanism IF the interior handle pot metal connector is not broken
4. Tail lights if really good
5. reverse lenses if good
6. SLS valve if not corroded
7. Entire 3rd row seat if in good condition (don't forget the C-pillars, seat belts, liner under the seat, all of the speed nuts, etc
8. C-pillar upholstery (for both 3rd row seat cars and not 3rd row seat cars)
9. D-pillar upholstery if good

The third row seat and cargo cover both have parts that are easily forgotten so if you aren't sure, ask.

I would happily purchase 0 through 4 of the above. Note that the third row seat is heavy and difficult to ship.

People who have infinite space would also possibly get:

10. Rear hatch door if no rust
11. Rear passenger doors if no rust
12. Rear bumper if excellent
13. Rear shocks

Most of the rest of the stuff is not wagon-specific and can be found in lots and lots of California sedans...

Scott

·
Registered
'80 300SD (W116), '81 300D, '89 560SL, '01 E320
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies. To reiterate, I was originally going to take some things for my own 300D (and maybe my 116) and didn't know what to take. But I then realized there is a lot more there that could be useful, and that I might be able to earn a bit of spending change and help some of y'all out in the process of rescuing them. But, since I hadn't really considered that, I don't remember the details and colors so well. I am planning to go back perhaps Friday or on the weekend, and I'll update the post at that time. But any further information or ideas would be helpful.

One question that comes to mind is whether it's worth it to remove moldings from the sides. They seem to be pretty good, as do the windshield and rear window. Also, I noticed that there are lots of vacuum elements in the dash (and one I noticed in the door), but they seem to be riveted on. How to get them off quickly and easily without power tools?

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
have fun pulling the D pillar trims in a yard.
to do it right you have to pull the C glass and they're contact cemented to the D pillars themselves.

body side mouldings... get something flat, plastic, like a windshield tool, and run it along the side of the car under the trim and it'll pop off down the line. the idea is to not bend a curve into them.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
One question that comes to mind is whether it's worth it to remove moldings from the sides. They seem to be pretty good, as do the windshield and rear window. Also, I noticed that there are lots of vacuum elements in the dash (and one I noticed in the door), but they seem to be riveted on. How to get them off quickly and easily without power tools?
My own opinion is that wagon-specific parts are worth more than sedan parts. Vacuum elements aren't worth it because they are probably old and the individual elements aren't that expensive. Plus they may charge more than you think for them. The Pick and Pull places have crazy prices for some things. I wouldn't get the windshield because a new one isn't that expensive and it's nicer to have a new one. The rear wagon window is easy enough to store and is worth it to some wagon owner who needs one, but it's a pain to ship. I would focus on:

a) things you need for your car

b) things that are easy to ship and cost effective to purchase
(that would be items 0 through 6 on my list above).

Another item that is getting difficult to find is good carpeting, particularly the driver's mat with the countoured backing. If the carpet is good and the backing is good, it might be worth getting and the junkyard does NOT charge much for that.

Scott

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
have fun pulling the D pillar trims in a yard.
to do it right you have to pull the C glass and they're contact cemented to the D pillars themselves.
Yes, fun indeed. I've had that fun twice already. I didn't take the glass out. It would be really difficult to do non-destructively, but I was willing to take a few liberties at the junkyard. I have avoided the fun of trying to get them installed in my wagon...

·
Registered
1980 300TD Estate
451 Posts
I would be interested in the front fender moldings, both sides, the hazard switch, glow plug relay, tail lights and a piece of wiring harness from under the center console which contains 4 or 6 wires that go to the radio. My radio was just stolen and the thieves cut this wiring harness to get the radio out quit.

Please let me know if getting these parts is possible....ALL parts are for my 1980 300td wagon..so I need the parts to be off the 1980 wagon.

Thanks and PM me ti discuss payment to you if you can do this

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Yes, fun indeed. I've had that fun twice already. I didn't take the glass out. It would be really difficult to do non-destructively, but I was willing to take a few liberties at the junkyard. I have avoided the fun of trying to get them installed in my wagon...
I'll be undertaking this work this spring. Ohhh boy.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo, 2009 GL320
246 Posts
I'd welcome a pair of visors if they are Palomino color and have intact mirrors/lights, and the trim ring that surrounds the base of the power antenna (just the trim, not the antenna). Let me know via PM if available, and how much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts