Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML320
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some stains on my EVO II wheels so I did some research and on a nice rainy day like today, I stripped them. From my research, the stains were supposedly in the clearcoat and that turned out to be true.

I used Duplicolor clearcoat stripper, aluminum wheel cleaner and then cleaner wax.

They came out very shiny but I couldn't repaint them with a clearcoat because of the bad weather. I am going to see how they do with just a coat of wax.

My son is taking the ML to Tahoe for a week so we will see what the wheels look like after being in the snow and dirt for a week.

After he returns and a vigorous washing, they look dull, I will have to repolish them and then try painting them.

If anyone else is interested in the details on how to do it, let me know. (It took 3 hours for 4 wheels)

I will take a picture once he returns and I have a chance to clean up my 205k mile ML.

·
Registered
C55 ///AMG
559 Posts
Cool! That sounds great. I had a little bit of staining around the edges on my EVO wheels on my W163 too, so I'm curious even though I no longer have the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,217 Posts
Uncoated aluminum will start to get ugly unless they are waxed often.

Look at aluminum engine parts after time and grime from the road work on the metal.

The repainting and clear coating will be the best thing for them and I am sure they will
look great with the stains gone. What caused the stains in the first place?

·
Registered
1999 ML320
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stains

I think the stains were caused by using a wheel cleaner on a hot day but I am not sure. Yes, aluminum can get faded so I will paint them once the weather gets better.

BTW, I asked a wheel repair shop what they would charge to make them look better. They told me $800 for 4 wheels. I think it will cost me about $30 in parts and 3 hours of my time.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,217 Posts
You will save a ton of money.

I remember years ago a friend put some harsh wheel cleaner on hot wheels in direct
sunlight and it dried on the wheels on one side and they had a haze to them until he
sold the car. He learned from that to do one wheel at a time in the shade while they
were cool. I am scared of so many of the cheap wheel cleaning sprays. I am one of
idiots who over pays for the MB or BMW spray. It is probably 1/2 the price if I could
fined out who makes it for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts