Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300SD
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hanging around here for a bit and searching high and low for just the 'right' one for me.

Found it a few days ago and will be picking it up Monday.

Wish me luck! Any advice for the trip back from Phoenix to Seattle?

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
very nicely updated, and looks to have been kept in top shape. in general, i'm not a fan of extra chrome, but i know it's more common on the west coast, and at least the car's black color offsets it nicely so it actually looks pretty good. congrats! enjoy the drive!

·
Registered
1985 300SD
831 Posts
Congrats and have a safe trip. Throw us another post when you get back about how it runs.
We'll give you some basic tune up hints.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,281 Posts
Hi Shawnna,

What a pretty car! I'd like to get some headlamps like those... someday, preferably soon.

My advice for your return trip: I'd bring some favorite music along for the ride.

[:)] MBL

·
Registered
1984 300SD
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, MaRKo - you don't see many like ours! Your's looks great too!

Thank you ALL again!

I will most definitely update you all along the way. I decided to drive home through Los Angeles so I can spend some time with a wonderful childhood friend. It will give her a real good workout as well!

This may upset those MB veterans but I do carry AAA - just in case! [:p]

I've ALWAYS wanted to say I owned a Mercedes and when I started researching about 6 months ago - I couldn't believe what the newer models looked it - no excitement or class - IMHO. I own a VW TDI and it seems to get better mileage as it gets more miles on it so I decided on a MB diesel. Well...... after nosing around here and reading ALL of the information on MB diesels, I realized that anything later than a 1991 wouldn't suffice. I also came to the conclusion that I didn't want the 350 model.

What can I say....... I'M HOOKED and I haven't even picked her up yet.

Now to think of a name for her.......... Suggestions???

PS - I will definitely want tips on maintenance - the DIY kind. I am pretty handy mechanically and not afraid to get my hands dirty.

Thanks again to all of you! Looking forward to 'engaging' you all again soon! Here's a couple more pics of her - for your viewing pleasure!

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Man, it looks even better in last pics – check the transmission fluid and oil level before you go and make sure you check the oil at every fill up until you get used to her. Look for excessive smoke under load and if she tracks straight.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Does this guy know MB diesels? Make sure he uses an OEM filter, Hengst, Mann, etc and API CH – 4 rated motor oil – some of these characters use gasser oil…[:0]

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
Looks very nice, I like how the wood looks too... eventhough I believe this might have happened due to heat? Its strange to see a creamy colored wood, but it sure does look nice in that interior picture of yours

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
Shawnna - 4/17/2005 3:40 PM

The interior wood trim is custom light-burl walnut - not damaged from heat.
Cool, sorry if you took offence.. but the only reason I thought it could have been heat-related damage is that the area in the door jam is a normal burl wood color while the other parts are a uniform light colored wood. I would imagine the doorjam area is cooler and is hidden from direct sunlight.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Looks great! Yay! no chrome wheel arches.

That wood does look very interesting. Do you live near LA, or just visiting?

·
Registered
1988 560SEL sold:
4,717 Posts
Given the recent fuel prices and the fact you're from the Pacfic Northwest (where most of the enviromentally conscious folks live), are you thinking of converting yours to biodiesel?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts