Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well apparently something went wrong when i changed my waterpump. I was driving my car the other day and everything seemed smooth. My temp gauge was staying between 80-90 degrees C since i replaced my waterpump. Then all of the sudden my check engine light comes on then my coolant light. I drive to my destination not far down the road then my car starts to steam out of the hood. My temp gauge is still saying im in the clear. Did i not install the thermostat and water pump correctly? If so what could i have done wrong?

What should i do? im lost on this one and my car is chilling on the side of the road right now. Before i did the waterpump replacement i had my car tested and the waterpump came up as the problem along with a belt. Im very frustrated with this.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I suspect air pockets in system

Well apparently something went wrong when i changed my waterpump. I was driving my car the other day and everything seemed smooth. My temp gauge was staying between 80-90 degrees C since i replaced my waterpump. Then all of the sudden my check engine light comes on then my coolant light. I drive to my destination not far down the road then my car starts to steam out of the hood. My temp gauge is still saying im in the clear. Did i not install the thermostat and water pump correctly? If so what could i have done wrong?

What should i do? im lost on this one and my car is chilling on the side of the road right now. Before i did the waterpump replacement i had my car tested and the waterpump came up as the problem along with a belt. Im very frustrated with this.

Thanks,
There is a bolt on the side of the block for "burping" the coolant system which can be released to remove air from the system. No its not really easy to access but in extreme cases it may be the only way to remove trapped air. If needed I may be able to find a diagram on this. The other issue is wether or not the heater was put on high to draw coolant through the aux pump and be pumped via the duovalve through the heater core while adding coolant after the job was done. Usually the thermostat and the housing are sold as one piece and self explanitory. From my experience with many other vehicles that it is possible when the car is warming up (thermostat spring is beginning to open) and adding the "proper coolant" that you can squeeze the upper and lower hose (like milking a cow) and actually get some air that way. There is a weep hole in the thermostat that some people have actually drilled a bit larger but I never have gone that route. B

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is an update...a bad one. Today was a really bad day. I went to go get my car today from where i had parked it and first someone had hit my car and ran off...so i had to file a police report. Only minor damage but still it really sucked.

So i refill my car with coolant and tried to at least get the car back home. Opon doing so i started the car it was running smooth and quiet as usual. I let it warm up and it went to exactly 80C and my coolant light went off. Good news right? Wrong i pulled my car out and it didnt seem to want to go. Then it started jerking so i pulled over right then and turned it off to prevent any further damage. So yeah my car is still stuck in the same place...and i have no idea what im going to do with it.

Liz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts