Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to go look at a 94 W124 steering wheel which is the type I want to put on the 126. After finding one it didnt have the cover for it and I dont think it will really work due to the connections and the slider rings on the hub of the old one. How exactly do you retrofit it?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
To fit that stering wheel to your w126, all you need to do is transfer the contact plate on the rear of your w126 wheel to this one. I assume your w126 has an airbag, if so that is all you really need to do.

The contact plate is removed by removing the 4 bolts that hold it on from inside the steering wheel. Then simply fit it the same to the new wheel, and wire up the horn contacts.

Basically, it's a case of putting the new next to the old and working uot what's different and then transferring the required compnents from old to new. The fundamental parts are exactly the same, so the wheel will fit and work as required.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ohhh I see. The only thing is my 126 doesnt have the airbag system in it as its a 1983 and the steering wheeels that the guy is selling doesnt come with the covers which contains the airbags anyways. This is my dilema now.

Thank you for the advice though. If anyone else has anymore input that would be great.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
If you don't have an airbag system, then it's easier. Just remove the contact plate from your 126 steering wheel and fit it to this new wheel, connecting the 2 horn wires to the apropriate points.

Then simply bolt on the airbag. No airbag connections required since you don't have any.

Very simple update.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
talbir...hmm so youre 100% sure this is the way to do it? I dont want to buy the wheel and then be screwed at the end...not that im saying youre wrong though![:)]

The guy near me who has the wheels doesnt have the main cover for the front portion for it which contains the airbag attached. That part alone is $400. I think I have to resort to ebay now. [xx(]

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Getting an airbag through the mail or fedex has been tricky for me. They are considered an explosive device. Took 3 attempts and a few lies to finally get one sent from Germany.When people purchase these steering wheels on Ebay, I'd say most don't realize the financial outlay for the correct airbag I didn't anyway.

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
MRTIKKET - 4/28/2005 8:11 PM

Getting an airbag through the mail or fedex has been tricky for me. They are considered an explosive device. Took 3 attempts and a few lies to finally get one sent from Germany.When people purchase these steering wheels on Ebay, I'd say most don't realize the financial outlay for the correct airbag I didn't anyway.
That is very true!! Many people have said the same thing. Your best bet would probably be to buy an additional junk wheel locally, from like a Mercedes shop, with the bag still in place of course and use that one.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well yeah im looking to do that. Today a german parts shop had a brand new leather wheel that he would have sold to me for $100!! But it didnt have that cover which would cost me alot!.

Im not giving up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts