Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'83 300D
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
But I want another one.

Just looked at an '82 300D turbo, white with blue interior, only rust found was on the battery tray and a little on the hood above it.

-The power sunroof needs to be cleaned and lubed, it opens between 1/3 to 1/2 way then the motor starts popping on the cable (stopped trying to open it at that point, then the owner and I helped close it).
-The ignition switch needs to be replaced as the starter is turned over with a button underneath the dash. Just informed by owner the switch still works, not seeing the point of the extra switch.
-The wipers came on randomly for one sweep.
-A/C is inop, but then not really a priority.
-From the owner's description it needs a few glow plugs. He had to keep the car plugged in this past winter otherwise it wouldn't start (during the same time I would sometimes cycle the glow plugs a second time, just to be sure, with a few bad plugs).
-Has not had a valve adjustment in the past seven years.
-Valve cover gasket has been leaking for who knows how long, covering everything below it in gunk.
-Odometer stopped working at 270K.
-Something in the lock system leaks, so he plugged that off from the vacuum system (not exactly important).
-Driver side rear passenger door lock sticks (same as on my car, odd).
-Original Becker AM/FM/Cassette kind of works, not all the speakers produced sound when I turned it on, but could be the fader.
-Not sure what color the first-aid kit cover is.
-Brakes squeel. Owner claims to have replaced pads.
-Air cleaner mounts are all broken.

Good points:
Shifts good, feels like the modulator could use an adjustment. Upholstery is intact, as are the seat springs (which felt weird, lol!). The heater and defrost vacuum pods work fine. Glass, seals, and paint are all in great shape. Steering feels firm. Wood trim is in good shape, save for the cracks in the center console piece.
Fluids have been changed regularly, which isn't much as the owners are avid bike commuters and use a truck that dwarfs the 300D for their long distance trips and vacations.
Lots of Mercedes Source repair guides covering the repairs he's done and a few he was going to do (like the vacuum system).

Having a hard time talking myself out of it. XD

·
Registered
1985 Euro 300TD Turbo, 1983 Euro 300TD turbo, 1979 Euro 240TD and 1981 300D converted to euro.
2,700 Posts
But I want another one.

Just looked at an '82 300D turbo, white with blue interior, only rust found was on the battery tray and a little on the hood above it.

-The power sunroof needs to be cleaned and lubed, it opens between 1/3 to 1/2 way then the motor starts popping on the cable (stopped trying to open it at that point, then the owner and I helped close it).
-The ignition switch needs to be replaced as the starter is turned over with a button underneath the dash.
-The wipers came on randomly for one sweep.
-A/C is inop, but then not really a priority.
-From the owner's description it needs a few glow plugs. He had to keep the car plugged in this past winter otherwise it wouldn't start (during the same time I would sometimes cycle the glow plugs a second time, just to be sure, with a few bad plugs).
-Has not had a valve adjustment in the past seven years.
-Valve cover gasket has been leaking for who knows how long, covering everything below it in gunk.
-Odometer stopped working at 270K.
-Something in the lock system leaks, so he plugged that off from the vacuum system (not exactly important).
-Driver side rear passenger door lock sticks (same as on my car, odd).
-Original Becker AM/FM/Cassette kind of works, not all the speakers produced sound when I turned it on, but could be the fader.
-Not sure what color the first-aid kit cover is.
-Brakes squeel. Owner claims to have replaced pads.
-Air cleaner mounts are all broken.

Good points:
Shifts good, feels like the modulator could use an adjustment. Upholstery is intact, as are the seat springs (which felt weird, lol!). The heater and defrost vacuum pods work fine. Glass, seals, and paint are all in great shape. Steering feels firm. Wood trim is in good shape, save for the cracks in the center console piece.
Fluids have been changed regularly, which isn't much as the owners are avid bike commuters and use a truck that dwarfs the 300D for their long distance trips and vacations.
Lots of Mercedes Source repair guides covering the repairs he's done and a few he was going to do (like the vacuum system).

Having a hard time talking myself out of it. XD
Price? ....mileage is good to know, but you state that...now the price so we can all really judge for you ;)

Sorry just ive seen great deals then a week after buying then found better.

·
Registered
'83 300D
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Price? ....mileage is good to know, but you state that...now the price so we can all really judge for you ;)

Sorry just ive seen great deals then a week after buying then found better.
$1K

So far all the deals I've found are usually gone by the time I read the ad, turn out to be someone realizing the project car they bought is beyond help, or their attempt to "flip" an older Mercedes.

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo, 126xxx miles
196 Posts
$1K

So far all the deals I've found are usually gone by the time I read the ad, turn out to be someone realizing the project car they bought is beyond help, or their attempt to "flip" an older Mercedes.
1k seems like a lot for >270k miles. Maybe you can knock off a few hundred, especially since you have a list of fixes to tackle.

·
Registered
'83 300D
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I'm thinking as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts