Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine mounts on my 02 E55 were shot, so much so that the car would shake in gear if at standstill.

I ordered a set of Lemforder engine mounts and switched them out. The job was quite easy when done on a lift and did not take more then two hours.

There was only two bolts to disconnect from the mounts, one from the top and one from the bottom. Then using a muffler stand you can raise the engine on one side and reach in and remove the mount.

The trickiest part breaking the top bolts loose when removing the old mounts, then lining up the new mounts up against the notch. The easiest way to do it is to hold the mount up against the notch while you lower the engine so that it sits in place. Don't lower it completely until you line up the hole for the bottom bolt.

The car now drives like a dream. While the car was up in the air, I noticed that the shield that covers the oil pan was ripped off. I bought a replacement at the dealer and replaced it at the same time.

·
Banned
0 Posts
It made a huge difference when I had the mounts replaced in mine. Both of them were fully collapsed when I bought the car.

·
Registered
'03 Z4, '02 E55, '11 ML350
710 Posts
Good to hear that the change out went smoothly for both of you.:thumbsup:

Would you let us know what mileage you had at the time?

Thanks !!

Mike K.

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine was at around 1068xx, but the left side (drivers side) was completely separated and should have been replaced some time ago. I went with the Lemforder brand mounts as worldpac considers them OE. They also had an FEQ brand which was cheaper.

·
Registered
'03 Z4, '02 E55, '11 ML350
710 Posts
Alabbasi,

Thanks for the info. I'm at 147k miles and I'm just trying to work the replacement into a convenient time. A buddy has a lift and has welcomed me to use as I need. At my age, I'm getting a little tired of crawling around under cars. :D

Cheers !!

Mike K.

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mike

It's certainly better if you do it on a lift. One thing that I forgot to mention is that the top bolts are very tight. In order to loosen these, we had to use a jack handle, pivoted against the wrench on one side and a block of wood that was put next to the side of the oil pan in order to loosen the bolt.

You may be able to loosen using a crows foot by hand, but not with a regular wrench,.

·
Registered
01 E55 02 GS300 04-R1 08-1kRR
85 Posts
Wow that mount is toasted! I would think if you did the locked brake test the engine would have been jumping out of the engine bay.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Jenks - please understand the OE mounts are Lemfoerder/Sach-Boge and beware/avoid the China no name or quasi brand mounts - lower price but China mounts are sh*t.

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow that mount is toasted! I would think if you did the locked brake test the engine would have been jumping out of the engine bay.
Yep, it was so bad that the exhaust was hitting the frame rail which made it sound really loud and vibrate through the car. The change was was amazing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Based on this post I thought I should practice what I preach and check my mounts ala brake lock test. Holybuckets my mill is trying to exit the engine bay.

I've been thinking something was a miss, there's been some vibs under hard acceleration and a little bit of idle shake.

My 55 has 62k on it.

EastB

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
The mounts can fail with time - so you were not doing anything wrong - OE mounts only from dealer or aftermarket - frankly dead mounts in my opinion are the leading cause of premature cat failure - so replacing mounts prevents a secondary major problem.

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
85 Posts
So I did MY motor mounts today. Not a bad job. Lining up the new mounts in the brackets was probably the biggest pain. I did the job with my ride on ramps. Took me about 1.5hrs. It was easier than I thought it would be. I snagged the parts (Lemforder) through partsgeek. They had fast shipping for less $ than autohausAZ.

The left mount was toast and leaking fluid evidenced by the brown residue. I could hear the remaining fluid sloshing around as I tossed it across the floor. The right mount seemed ok but I swapped both. Also swapped the tranny mount while I was at it.

Definitely cured the vibs & rattling I was getting through the dash under mashed throttle. Way happy about that.

I wouldn't say it was a huge change but that's probably because my mounts weren't totally shagged. Don't get me wrong I'm glad the originals are gone and the car feels better. I still have a slight idle shake.

If there's any doubt change your mounts don't be afraid.

cheers
Eastwood

·
Registered
2000 W210 E55 AMG, Silver/Black - Stock
611 Posts
How tight were you able to get the top bolts? I could only do mine hand tight with a 6" wrench. Space was very limited. I made up for it with loctite.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I tightened the top bolts with the 6" ratchet and then using my large pry bar I wedged it between the block/head/exhaust manifold and the ratchet and leveraged another qtr turn on the bolt. Plenty tight enough.

Basically, the reverse order method to break them loose. There are some nice machined surfaces on the block/head to use as a pry pad. Breaking the bolts loose/tightening was the easiest part of the job. I struggled with getting the mount inserted and positioned.

BTW the original lower bolts were not very tight. No were near tight enough IMO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts