Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1996 W210 AMG E36
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I broke the #1 rule of car purchasing, I just bought a C36 at auction without actually seeing or driving it.

I did have one of the auction yard's reps start, drive and give it a visual inspection, so I have some comfort, but as I sit here now, I'm still pretty nervous.

1995 C36 fully spec'd (Sunroof, headlight wipers, the works)
155,000km (about 100k Miles) for $7600 NZD (about $5000 USD).

Compare that with the $14,000 one I was looking at yesterday and I thought the risk was worth it. $5,500 left over for repairs.

Whad'ya think?

Here she is:

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430 1999 ML 320
92 Posts
Looks like you got a great deal. I wouldn't worry to much about it. I bought both of my Benz's that way and have been very happy with them. The only problem I see with that car is they put the steering wheel on the wrong side ! (just kidding) Hey if you dont like it I bet you could sell at a profit. Good Luck with your new car.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
agreed, looks like a nice grab. hopefully it was just a trade in that some dealer couldn't get off the lot. oh btw, FIX THAT HOOD ORNAMENT!!!=D

·
Registered
1996 W210 AMG E36
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep my assumption too. With 160km on the clock, dealers can't shift them, so they get flicked at auction.

I'm hopeful it'll be alright, though I'm a little concerned about the sunroof. Every 15 yr old car I've seen with a sunroof has had rust, but I'm hoping the Mercedes is an exception.

·
Registered
99' C43 AMG "T Rex", Ultima Sports Can-Am (in build)
233 Posts
Looks good and clean from the photos (apart from the Star) but has the rear blind and an avantgarde grille. Get the wheels changed to monos which make it more in line with the period :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1996 W210 AMG E36
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you got a knock-off, the steering wheel is on the wrong side :p J/K
Nice car indeed.
Yeah but we're upside down here so it all works out ok. :eek:

I'm starting to feel much more relaxed about my purchase after all the positive responses to my post. Thanks everyone.

I'll keep everyone posted once I get it trucked down from Auckland.

·
Registered
1993 Black 320CE with Brabus B6 tune, AMG Gen I kit and Aero II wheels
106 Posts
Nice buy!

Average going price for them is still 12-16k.

·
Registered
1996 W210 AMG E36
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the steering wheel looks like it came out of a C43.

Better ask why...

rjp
Well spotted. I'll have to give it a good inspection for signs of frontal damage once I get it. :crybaby2:

Suggests it's been in a frontal and the airbag has gone off, so they replaced the whole steering wheel with one of a C43.

·
Registered
2005 C200.
33 Posts
Hi Knoll How about a update, what is the condition of the car.

I have for sale the wheels pictured on this car. AMG type twin spoke

·
Registered
1996 W210 AMG E36
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's some photos.

Hi Knoll How about a update, what is the condition of the car.
Hey Cherokee, it's actually in pretty good condition, considering the price. As you know 'good ones' stilll fetch over 15k, so $8k NZD is a real cheapie.

It's got some faults though.

1.) Looks like it's been regularly put through a car wash that swapped out the brushes for 80 grit emery tape, there's scratches everywhere. Very hopeful most of this will buff out, once I get my buddies buffer.

2.) Rear bumper has a little ding that's been bogged and sprayed with a rattle can - can be fixed.

3.) Both wing mirrors have been side swiped and have grazes down to the black plastic.

4.) Front passengers wheel has major curb damage, but that can be easily fixed.

5.) Has very small dint on rear guard and door edges have some missing paint.

6.) The center console plastic around the window switches and the strip under the windscreen have heat cracks all over them. My C36 doesn't have carbon fibre inserts :crybaby2: ,but it does have an 'AMG made in Affalterbach' sticker on the ashtray.

7.) It's been lowered, personal choice but I think you'd agree that in NZ you need the clearance.

As you can see it's mostly cosmetic things.

The Good news:
It's a 206kw version and seems to start and run perfectly, albeit with the C36 diesel like rattle at idle when its warm. It looks like someone has tried to fix that, because the front timing cover has been off so I'm hopeful they did any maintenance needed while they were in there. If you didn't read this forum you'd think that C36 engine noise at idle was going to cost big $$$.

Leather interior is perfect and all the electrics work, except for the drivers headrest. I can hear the motor but its not driving anything, just whirs. Sunroof is good (no rust) and I love the rear windscreen visor, people behind you visibly flip out at traffic lights when you wind it up :)

I'm totally stoked to tell the truth, this is a 2nd car, and for 8k it's just unbeleivable, makes me smile every time I hear that low rumble and feel the torque pulling me along. What a car :D

Some pics:

·
Registered
2005 C200.
33 Posts
This colour paint on this year Merc all gave the same problem, mine was the same, had the bonnet roof and boot resprayed.
I hope to do a track day soon, mine has the oil leak, is going to PN on Monday to get head gasked done. ouch.

·
Registered
2005 C200.
33 Posts
I live just north of Wanganui. Will know in 2 weeks what the cost was. There is a great independant merc man in PN. he has done work for me before when i had a 190 cosworth.
You interested in a track day.

·
Registered
2005 C200.
33 Posts
I got a call from the mech doing my head gasket, my wiring loom is toast, ouch. There goes my holiday to China in March.

·
Registered
1996 W210 AMG E36
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ouch !

I got a call from the mech doing my head gasket, my wiring loom is toast, ouch. There goes my holiday to China in March.
Sorry to hear about your loom, major bummer, though I guess it depends on what you can get a new or 2nd hand one for, though I've read that it's a nightmare to fix.

There was a guy wrecking a C280 on trademe a few weeks ago, but it had 300k on the clock so the loom might be fracked too. There was also a thread here where a guy was offering to make them and someone talked about buying them in from Thailand. Might pay to do some searching here first. Good luck.

btw: If you know of anyone looking for a C36, mine will be for sale in Feb/March (if not before). I'll take $8500, but it'll go on trademe with that reserve. Just spent $200 on 10 litres of 0W40 Mobil 1. We've decided that we're going to head back overseas in the new year, so I have already sold one bike, and will be letting the C36 and my other bike go too.

Here's some more photo's of my C36

What condition was the one that sold for $5k in, do you know? What sort of mileage did it have on the clock?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts