Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a 1985 300D with just over 200k miles. I knew from the moment I got her that I would be putting in a new turbo. After much digging I found a site that sells turbo internals so you can rebuild yourself. After three days and some busted knuckles I got the turbo out, apart, and cleaned. Wanting to be as effective as possible I also got a manifold gasket to clean out the intake and the ALDA banjo and lines.

First thing I did was remove the egr, but it looks like the damage has been done. I just wanted to share some photos of what I found.

Looks like I will be cleaning for the next week. My main concern is all the build up around the intake valves. Anyone have any cleaning tips? My plan is vacuum and get as much as I can out without compirimising the valves or cylinders...馃槵

Registered
1984 300D
Was you Turbo actually leaking Oil and did all of that black stuff come out of the Intake Manifold? If so it suggest EGR and or valve stem seals and or guide issues (too much play).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it all came out of the intake and the turbo housing had oil in it. The turbo had axial play and was probably the source of oil. I checked the oil cap for blow by and exhaust is strong.

I think the engine is solid, PO just neglected routine maintenance. I ran new LO and marvel through the engine for 500. The oil was black almost instantly. But I will keep an eye on the intake when I get her going again so make sure.

Registered
2000 sl320 stepped tyres ( now gone )
Soak in a tank of diesel for a couple of days and then use a brass wire brush, that will lift most of the mess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts