Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 300SD Euro
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been driving the car every day...Shut it off last night..ran great
Wouldn't start this morning. It was below freezing last night and this car has no block heater. I thought the fuel may have had some water in it. I pulled a injector line off and pumped the primer and fuel came out....still no start.
I removed the fuel filter it was ok. I removed the fuel line going out of the filter and fuel came out when I cranked it. Lots of raw diesel smoke came out the exhaust. Checked the glow plugs w a tester...they had juice. They have always worked.
I got so frustrated I squirted it with the big no no...either.
Still NO start!???
I am completely stumped????

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
If you have fuel then it's compression. Compression is helped with the glow plugs. They're out or the valves are too tight.

·
Registered
82 300SD Euro
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But....the valves and compression didn't take a shit over night!
It has lots of compression...you can tell when you try to start it

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Sounds like the #1 suspect is the glow plugs-- could be that a fuse crapped out (cold temps) or the pre-glow time relay gave it up, or your glow plugs have juice but aren't operating. Cold temps also make the car very hard to start. I'd give it at least two pre-glows before trying to start if it's really cold. An engine with good compression often doesn't need to pre-glow and will start right away if the outside temps are above about 45 degrees. In addition, the car does not need the glow plugs once it's started, and so you may have had non-operating glow plugs for a while, and the cold snap just exposed the issue.

Check these files out:

Attachments

·
Registered
82 300SD Euro
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the intel...I killed the battery so I had to charge it over night. Today I messed w it again today.
fyi...The car has always required 2 preglows to start...no matter what the temp. outside. But, it has always started easily. Anyway...could the glow plugs stop working overnight even showing juice today when tested?
Here's another paradox...shouldn't it start regardless if using either?
Man this sucks

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Yeah, I don't know why this issue came up "suddenly," but I'd have a look at the compression and the valves, NordRhein suggested. You should not need two preglows to start on an average day, and this points to compression and valve issues. When was the last valve adjustment done? I recall it's a regular maintenance issue-- like once a year or so.

One other idea is to check timing chain stretch-- how many miles on her? Could be a combination of lowish compression, tight valves, and slightly retarded injection timing.

·
Registered
82 300SD Euro
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is my 4th Benz Diesel....and I have never encountered this b4
It only has 150k on it. I have had in only about 2 months and I bought it from a real lieing jack ass so I have no history. It is a rust free Nevada car and seems to have been kept up.
It has ran beautiful since I have owned it...no smoke and smooth
In fact...the day b4 it wouldn't start I was thinking while driving how much power it had compaired to my last 300SD. Than the next day...no start

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Well, you have me there (four diesels...)

Not sure if I can be of any more help really-- I never experienced this issue either, and it's been five years since I sold mine, so I'm pretty hazy on the specifics. Hope that you can sleuth it out with some others' help-- or bring it to your favorite indy mechanic.

·
Registered
82 300SD Euro
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well.........it ended up being a friggin blown fuse on a non operational aftermarket alarm system.
I wonder how much life I took of my poor starter.
Good Lord!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts