Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SL500 arrived yesterday, everything as promised and I'm very pleased. I figured out how to remove the hardtop, (easy), but I can't get the soft top to up. Put the rollbar up no problem, (easy), I pull up on the top switch and I see the boot or top cover go down just a bit, I push down on the switch and nothing. What am I doing wrong?

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,146 Posts
In the course of lifting the hard top off of the car you may have altered the position of one of the two rear latches. Look down and visually inspect them and verify that both are in the "open" position. If they aren't, then you may be able to correct the problem with a screwdriver. Isaac Collins seems to have found a way to do this as explained here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1358342-how-remove-hard-top-put-soft-top-up-manually-98-models.html. On no account would a cut into the trim material of the rear wall of the trunk as he did, however, because it is very simple and easy to remove by popping-out half a dozen plastic rivets.

·
Greek God of the R129
8,365 Posts
In the course of lifting the hard top off of the car you may have altered the position of one of the two rear latches. Look down and visually inspect them and verify that both are in the "open" position. If they aren't, then you may be able to correct the problem with a screwdriver. Isaac Collins seems to have found a way to do this as explained here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1358342-how-remove-hard-top-put-soft-top-up-manually-98-models.html. On no account would a cut into the trim material of the rear wall of the trunk as he did, however, because it is very simple and easy to remove by popping-out half a dozen plastic rivets.

So, I see we can, learn something from a seventeen year old.
Good job Isaac. :)
You never know from where help can come.
Regards.
aam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts