Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out today and saw the exact same model of car as mine even the colour.! I parked up real close to compare the changes I had made againts the stock car. And at first I looked at the height difference and its really hard to tell that mine has been lowered on Eibach Pro kit with no#1 pad front and Zero rear? When I compared the wing mirrors againts mine and the rear bumper as a guide my car hardley looked any lower !?

OK, so I think my 18" staggered wheels look better, and I like the spacer I added to my rear to kick them out, but otherwise I was shocked to see that all my work wasnt that much differernt?

The only saving grace is that I was concerned about my rear cambers but after comparing my car againts the stock car and as the height of our cars were about the same, I think the angle of the cambers looked similar so I may not need to get a an adjustment kit after all.!

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Coupe
791 Posts
I was out today and saw the exact same model of car as mine even the colour.! I parked up real close to compare the changes I had made againts the stock car. And at first I looked at the height difference and its really hard to tell that mine has been lowered on Eibach Pro kit with no#1 pad front and Zero rear? When I compared the wing mirrors againts mine and the rear bumper as a guide my car hardley looked any lower !?

OK, so I think my 18" staggered wheels look better, and I like the spacer I added to my rear to kick them out, but otherwise I was shocked to see that all my work wasnt that much differernt?

The only saving grace is that I was concerned about my rear cambers but after comparing my car againts the stock car and as the height of our cars were about the same, I think the angle of the cambers looked similar so I may not need to get a an adjustment kit after all.!

Daaaaamn - you can tell the difference between a well-kept 208 and a workhorse 208!

Your car looks SO much better with the drop & wider wheels!

I reckon your camber should be ok too.

By the way, I have completed my weekend "project" !!! - it was graft!

I'm pure tired but extremely pleased with the results! I Will explain and post pictures within the next day or so !!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Hopes & Dreams
1,418 Posts
shit yea, I need some wider rear tires, I used to feel like king of the hill with 245, but when I saw pics of some CLKs on here and Dey's CLK in person I felt.....inadequate. :(

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Daaaaamn - you can tell the difference between a well-kept 208 and a workhorse 208!

Your car looks SO much better with the drop & wider wheels!

I reckon your camber should be ok too.

By the way, I have completed my weekend "project" !!! - it was graft!

I'm pure tired but extremely pleased with the results! I Will explain and post pictures within the next day or so !!

Thanks Rashman for the kind words, PS I took your advice and got me some WAX, she now shines!
But I dont think that my car looks much lower? from the back its about the same ? how come, I used the Eibach Pro kit and zero pads ? Must be because mine was an Elegance and the other car was Avantguarge perhaps?

As for you CLKMAN, you know you have the worlds widest stretched wheels, the rear of your car sits awsome ! im so glad I got staggered 9.5J and 15mm spacers, I just love the way the back 'kicks-out' !!

·
Registered
2002 clk 55amg coupé
339 Posts
Maybe the other guy also lowered his ride? Or maybe the greater overall diameter of your wheel tire combo makes the car ride higher even if lowered. Personally I like lowered CLKs for the snug look on the wheel arches but don't need the car itself to be too low.

BTW what size tires are those?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe the other guy also lowered his ride? Or maybe the greater overall diameter of your wheel tire combo makes the car ride higher even if lowered. Personally I like lowered CLKs for the snug look on the wheel arches but don't need the car itself to be too low.

They are 18 x 255 x 35 on 9.5J rear has a 15mm spacer as well
and 18 x 225 x 40 on 8.5J Falken tires

·
Registered
791 Posts

You're right. It sits higher because he has a bigger wheel.

·
Registered
791 Posts
...PS I took your advice and got me some WAX, she now shines!

But I dont think that my car looks much lower? from the back its about the same ? how come, I used the Eibach Pro kit and zero pads ?
Wax is good innit?!

As Neilbo75 said, your car sat higher as soon as you put the 18's on it. Lowering it with Eibach's brought it down but not as much as it would have with stock 17's on.

P.S - I should have some pictures of my latest mod for you tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wax is good innit?!

As Neilbo75 said, your car sat higher as soon as you put the 18's on it. Lowering it with Eibach's brought it down but not as much as it would have with stock 17's on.

P.S - I should have some pictures of my latest mod for you tomorrow!

Rashman

I know what your getting at, but I thought that despite having larger wheels the overall diameter stays about the same, otherwise your speedo and height of the car would be all wrong?

You need to keep within 2.5% as a guide, and you can see from the fitment guide below that I am only 1.6% larger? (see photo)

Maybe our cars differ because the original pads on my springs were no#5 front and no#2 in the rear!, which I beleive usually is no#4?, so perhaps my back is higher then other cars when it was made and they put on a lower pad to try and get it down?

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 CLK 320 Cabriolet
6 Posts
The subtle changes definitely make a diff!!

Can anyone here tell me if a 25 mm spacer is too much (10 mm was too tight, and the 15 mm looks nice).

I don't know if my Carlsson look-alike 18X8/9 +35 offsets will need more space with the 255/40/18 fronts and the 265/35/18 rears I just purchased to put on my 2003 clk 320 cabrio.

I have missed twice on the spacer size for the rear, (i tried 5mm and 10mm and a combination of the two, I am leaning towards 20-25 mm spacers), and I am trying to see if anyone has a similar (or close) setup without rubbing.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The subtle changes definitely make a diff!!

Can anyone here tell me if a 25 mm spacer is too much (10 mm was too tight, and the 15 mm looks nice).

I don't know if my Carlsson look-alike 18X8/9 +35 offsets will need more space with the 255/40/18 fronts and the 265/35/18 rears I just purchased to put on my 2003 clk 320 cabrio.

I have missed twice on the spacer size for the rear, (i tried 5mm and 10mm and a combination of the two, I am leaning towards 20-25 mm spacers), and I am trying to see if anyone has a similar (or close) setup without rubbing.
I know its hard to judge what spacer is needed, I was lucky and got it right first time, I actuallyy was trying to buy a 10mm spacer, but couldn't find one so gambled and got a 15mm spacer instead, and lucky me it fits perfect. Infact I I think it could go to 20mm no problem.

It also depends however on your tyre size as well, because the offset is only to the wheel rim edge. Therefore if your tyres are a littel stretched like mine, then the tyre will be less then the offset allowing the tyre to travel inside the wheel arch, and if your tyres buldge then this will mean your offset will change and you could get rubbing.

Good Luck...

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 clk 55amg coupé
339 Posts
Yeah, they would fit. I have 235's on the front and no rubbing at all.

How did your audio installation go by the way?

The car is back in Dunkerque for the finishing touches. Julio the installer got the Alpine digital signal processor going yesterday. He reports on his website that the sound is very clean and prescise with perfect stereo imaging. At first the sub-woofer base was a little bit in the background so he turned a screw on the Brax amp. Now the sub shakes anyone in the car but thanks to the Dynamat "bubble" the car itself stays stable. I can't wait to hear it for myself.

BTW the thread on the install has generated considerable attention - over 8000 views!
HIFIMOBILE :: Voir le sujet - PETITE INSTALLATION DANS UNE CLK 55 AMG

1 - 19 of 19 Posts