Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well as most know, a high school parking lot is probably one of, if not the most dangerous place for any car. New drivers, careless drivers, all of them in newish cars their parents bought them. I would say less than 2% of the cars in our school lot were bought by the driver, so lets just say there isn't a whole lot care and concern for just about anything.

So I used to park along the back wall of the lot, picking the space next to the speed bump because no one ever parked there. That changed as more began driving, so after some other people squeezing in pretty tight, I rethought my plan and began parking in the end spot on the back of a row next to a planter. I can go pretty wide on the left and luckily the only 2-3 people who care about their cars have been parking next to me, so no door dings.

Well today (a horribly day at that, 2 impossible tests :mad: ) I get out to the parking lot and notice my hood star all mangled and I was scared it was broken, and as any MB owner would do, I straightened it out. Upon closer inspection I see tons of scratches in the center of the hood and a few small ones in the chrome of the grille. The pollen was disturbed and I see the outline of three rear ends, apparently all wearing jeans with metal studs. GRRRRR. What does it take to teach some common sense. Damn punks.

When I got home I looked closer and it didn't look like any penetrated through the paint, so I got very lucky. There are still a few indentations, but they are small and I can live with it. Also my hood got a well deserved PC polish.

Lesson learned: No more driving to school. Time to utilize my new bike. :D

Shiney again!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Zack,
Thats pretty shitty...Glad to see you got your hood cleaned and good to see your hood star was not pulled out! That definetly hurts when that happens..
What kind of bike did you get? How far a ride from home to school is it?

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
jdc1244 said:
Kinda makes me glad my 300 D is the ‘paintless wonder.’
What do you mean by "paintless wonder"?

·
Registered
1982 240d, 2007 e350
2,071 Posts
I feel your pain. :(

Yeah the parking lot at my high school is full of idiots as well. Its either people cant drive or people like to fuck up your car (vandalism).

Last year some guy crashed into FOUR cars in the same parking lot, thank God my car wasnt crashed into, it was only 10 FT away from being hit! :eek:

·
Registered
82 300d, 1973 pinto wagon :)
36 Posts
I feel your pain. Today has been a horrible day for me to with work plus 2 term papers due for college. I ran to target right after work to get my mom a birthday present and when I got back outside some mother F*cker decided to use my car as a walk way or something, I had foot prints all over the trunk and the roof and a giant dent in my hood. the dent came out mostly but still, people just have no respect anymore!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My bike is a Novara (the REI brand) Big Buzz. Its a flat bar road bike, so more of a commuter. Its got 18 gears and avid disc brakes. Its pretty nice and school is only a 2 miles or so each way. Nothing I cannot handle:

I'm just really glad the scrathces weren't as deep as they appeared. I got pretty lucky.

·
Registered
1981 300D
646 Posts
That sucks, one day at my high school two cars where totaled in separate accidents while still on school property. One was some tiny hatchback, that was driven by a girl who was applying her make-up, she was speeding pretty fast and drove right into the back of a Volvo. The other was the future valedictorian who drove his Grand Marquis over a rock wall.

I always make sure I park in the spot next to the handicap space right against the fence, the only person who could hit me without being a complete Idiot is my favorite substitute teacher. She wouldn't either because she loves her red Volvo convertible.

Without a doubt though, the high school parking lot is the most dangerous place ever. Not just for cars, but for anyone who values their life.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
79Mercy said:
What do you mean by "paintless wonder"?
All the paint is gone on the hood and roof; about half is gone on the trunk. The doors have their fair share of dents and dings – I haven’t washed it in years. But it’s rust-free and cruises at 75 like it’s riding on a rail with no smoke. Remarkable car.

·
Registered
79 300SD
637 Posts
Back in college, my Benz and my good friend's Camaro were keyed on the hoods while parked next to each other. My friend and I both agreed, if you have a problem with me (or us) be a man and confront me (or us) face to face. Don't be a careless coward and destroy the autos. Blah.

·
Registered
1990 500SE
447 Posts
If they don't have respect for your car , do you think they will have respect for your bike if you take it to school.? I hope so.

·
Registered
1982 300D
326 Posts
Hey Zack----

I guess we both have the same luck with our 300D's today....is your paint color 684? If it is, I have a small bottle of touchup....

I hope the bike works out better for you--

Matt

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its 623, Light Ivory. Luckily I have a small bottle from the original owner.

Luckily the bikes are all crammed together and I don't have to worry as much. We have tons of kids on $1500+ full suspension bikes. Luckily I got my bike for a steal. Retail: $900, my price: $250. Can't ask for much more. I've had good luck so far on the bike, I ride every wednesday cause 3 schools in a 2 block area all start at once. Also, If anything must happen, I'd rather it be to the bike than the car.

Matt, my day wasn't quite as bad, but sometimes you have to wonder about people. What are they thinking?

·
Registered
1982 300D
326 Posts
seriouss

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Count yourself lucky. Today at my school, a guy got carjacked in the student lot a few spaces away from my car and it later turned into a SWAT situation.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Makes you wonder what goes on in schools these days.

Few months back, somebody jumped from the 5th floor. Suicide. I saw it myself, but the body was already covered with lots of police around. It was a Friday at 4:30pm, I remember. And prior to that, some attempted kidnapping was reported. A girl was followed in the parking lot from the side streets by a guy in a white pick up. The pick up blocked the victim's car, she went down, but I don't remember the details anymore. I don't think the guy was successful. So I carry my pepper spray with me every time I walk at night. Never know...

On our school the parking structures are arranged so that I could park at the farthest but safest places like beside a post, or a wall.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Horrible things happen everyday. Its a very dangerous world out there, one that makes me sometimes wish I had a cosmetically impared car, but I always change my mind after a nice polish and wax. The shine is unbeatable.

I will count myself lucky in this case and I am lucky to be pretty fortunate that I don't have to worry much about kidnapping, carjackings and all that. All I have are dumb kids sitting on my hood ;)

·
Registered
`86 W201 2.3-16. `84 W123 230Ce
169 Posts
i think if you catch some slag scratching your pride and joy you should be allowed to kill them.

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
I was helping couple lady friends with a move the other day and they started putting heavy boxes on my trunklid of the 190. I get back to my car seeing the boxes on the lid, but the boxes had these wheels on the bottom of it. I lifted the boxes and the paint was all scratched up.:rolleyes: However, I was planning on a having a repaint in the near future anyways... so I wasn't totally pissed. Some people think just because the car is over 10 years old, you can treat it like shit and it'll be ok.:(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts