Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes 86 190E 2000 cc
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought the car I realized that someone took off the trunk actuator and closed the air pipe with an old screw! :mad:
I said to myself, let's buy a trunk actuator and put it back in, since is not fun everytime to remember to close the trunk!
I bought it, and today I was installing it, but... SURPRIZE! My lock has no place where to link the trunk actuator! :eek::eek:
Should I buy a new different kind of trunk lock? Can I change the keyhole, so that I don't have to change the trunk key? Did anyone do that before?
Thanks a lot,
Massimo!

·
Registered
1985 w201 Euro 2.3-16vlv / 1992 w201 2.6 Sportline Manual
6,726 Posts
Personally im confused as to what you are asking for.

The new actuator has no plug for the stock alarm? vise versa...?

Pictures maybe?

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
i think he's saying the trunk locking mechanism has no connecting rod to the actuator. i have one spare if you need it but the keying would not match your car.

·
Registered
1985 w201 Euro 2.3-16vlv / 1992 w201 2.6 Sportline Manual
6,726 Posts
Interesting to hear that there is no place for the connecting rod. Are you sure that you are familiar with where it connects to?

You may need to just buy the parts alone and piece your lock back together.

·
Registered
Mercedes 86 190E 2000 cc
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, exactly I don't have the 20 part with the screw 23, I only have 2 parts that move together!
I thought of going to a junk yard and find another lock and exchange parts!
Or maybe should I just try to make a hole on the rear cover and try to stick a screw on the moving 20?
Can I see a pic of the right mechanism?

·
Registered
Mercedes 86 190E 2000 cc
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Stefan, I have that part with the rod, what I'm missing is where to hook the rod!
Too bad I don't have the time to work on it, I was thinking of opening the locker and try to stick the rod somewhere on the moving knob somehow, that's why I was interested in watching closely how was it made!
Thanks a lot again,
Massimo

·
Registered
Mercedes 86 190E 2000 cc
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll post some pics:
The locker place, with the rod:

The locker that has no hole on the back cover, where to fit the rod.

·
Registered
Mercedes 86 190E 2000 cc
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could anyone show me a pic of the trunk lock WITH the screw where to hook the rod?
Thanks a lot, as usual,
Massimo

·
Registered
'98 E300, '10 GL350 Bluetec
1,265 Posts
If you look in Kyn's posting, part #20 has a cylindrical post on it for the lever; this post tends to break off. I went through 3 locks before I found one with the post still on it. It is easy to remove the part and fit onto your lock. It is also fairly easy to remove your lock cylinder to fit into another lock.

I will try to post a pic as soon as it stops raining.

·
Registered
'98 E300, '10 GL350 Bluetec
1,265 Posts
Here are a couple of pics to show you where the rod is connected. Also, look at the pic you posted...the one that shows you holding the lock in your hand. There is a plastic cover on the back that needs to be popped off with a screwdriver, and you will see where the rod is connected.

Attachments

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
the little yellow circle is where the clip is that holds the cover in place

·
Registered
Mercedes 86 190E 2000 cc
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys! I also took off the cover, but didn't find the place where to connect the rod!
Maybe it broke off, like Shingleback said, but I'll open it again and double check!
Also: my cover doesn't leave any space where to slide in the cover, maybe I don't remember right! I even remember of having a dent that fits into a hole on that side!
But now I realized that I can tight the screw without taking off the trunk lock, so I'll check that way!
Thanks as usual, guys, I'll let you know!

·
Banned
0 Posts
There is a screw holding the the arm connecting the air activated mechanism and the lock mechanism. On my car when I removed the cover behind the lock assembly that screw fell right into my hand. Once I put that screw back up the trunk would lock properly ;)
I will take some pictures once the weather gets better here, it's raining kittens and puppies right now.

·
Registered
Mercedes 86 190E 2000 cc
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine has no place for the screw!!
You can look in the pic yourself!
I have to look for one in a junkyard, so I can exchange the parts!

·
Banned
0 Posts
The second picture that you took that's out off focus; that's where the screw goes.
The arm goes inside the assembly and connects to the plastic tit, then the screw goes over the tit keeping the arm in place.

·
Registered
Mercedes 86 190E 2000 cc
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In the second one you can also see that I have a dent over there,... maybe I have to cut it and make some space where the rod extremity moves...
But in the first one you can see that where it should be connected there is no place for the screw... I might try to drill a hole and stick it there.
But ... again, the rod should push to open and pull to lock, like the doors? Vice versa? I have to study on it!
Mmmm... I better go to a mechanic that knows how, I guess! :/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts