Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people. I kind of have the same issue here. I just bought a w208 cabrio with no experience at all in a Merc. It's completely different compared to having a Audi, and i had premium / fast audi's before. Anyway; the car was for warranty reasons at the garage, i picked it up, 2 things appeared.

1: the rooftop did'nt function at all anymore. When you open the lid on the roof the windows do come down, but there's no response on hitting the button at all. In the rear trunk, fuse F5 was blown. It was a 5A fuse, we've replaced that with 10A and even 15A and both just blew in the blink of an eye.

I do find schematics of the fusebox but no explanaintion on what the F5 fuse is responsible for, and where to look at. I'm handy in ways and if it's some shortcut or a blown motor then i might be able to fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Long story short, i've bought a W208 (CLK 200 / 136HP) pretty much from hell. The garage so far fixed a few things under warranty, but its obviously a bad repaired vehicle where alot of things are wrong with. However, i do have some spare time within a few months which i would like to stick in getting the car "up" with decent repairs and all that. I'm sort of a enthusiast that came from the Audi (RS) market. It's just that a Cabrio here in Portugal is a more common thing looking at the weather and since it has a working LPG (gas) installation it actually gives value to the car in a later resell stadium.

First things first that are in my eyes wrong:

• A fuse keeps blowing, it's fuse "5" (5a) in the trunk behind the battery. I have no schematic of where that leads to.
  • The rooftop stopped functioning. Releasing the handle on the roof lowers the windows just fine but once you press or 'pull' the button it simply does'nt work. The light however does work. Is there a correlation in between Fuse 5 being blown or is that something else?
  • It started to rain today, there's water just pouring in like crazy. It's both driver side (more) and passenger side (less) and in the backseat it's just water piling up on the roof. I've read that the rubbers could either dry out or the leads are simply filled with dirt. I will check that in the morning, but for now covered the holes with plastic as a temp. sollution.
  • The audio is messed up. The factory unit has bin replaced, but the subwoofer is attached using the left rear channel, and the right channel is a mixed right and left all together. I can solve that too, but i wanted to replace the whole unit for a Bluetooth ready system. My idea was this: put the door speakers (4x) up the front channel (rewire here and there) and the subwoofer bridged to the back. That should bring a better experience for the sound itself.
  • The ventilator does'nt spin on once heated up. It just goes up to 100 in idle which is'nt normal. Under driving conditions it's sitting at 80 degrees and obviously enjoys the cool air flowing through the radiator.
  • The ABS/ESP light is turned on. I made a nice spin on the roundabout when it was too wet on the roads, i quickly corrected the car, my gf was scared shitless. This is proberly a wheel sensor in my opinion. There is no fault code thrown.
Engine wise: it runs smooth, even better on 98. It still misses that punch and you really have to rev it up to 4000rpm and above to get the 'best' out of it. Engine is actually nothing wrong with it. No cold start rattle or anything. It works perfectly on gas. I am concerned however that having a filled gas (not fuel) tank on the back of the trunk is a risk itself or not? Imagine being in the stoplight, another car just slams into your car, the gas evaporates and escapes. I'm no expert on how strong those gas tanks are, there are alot of story's on the net about testing.

I'd like to fix whatever i can fix and at least enjoy the car in the warmer days here. It's not that bad.

·
Registered
1999 W208 CLK320
315 Posts
Hi, there welcome to the forum.
If there is an independent Mercedes garage near you, it may be well worth the money getting them to diagnose the roof problem with their STAR diagnostics computer. It can save a lot of chasing around.

As for the performance the 200 engine was the smallest engine available and the least powerful. If it's running on LPG it'll lose about 10% of that power. Not a lot for a big heavy car, but enough for a nice leisurely cruise, which is what these cars are all about :)

Sorry I can't be more help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't remember the fuse number but there is a big ( 20 or 30a maybe ) that controls the pump for the top..My pump was bad and mine kept blowing..My roof also leaked and I sprayed a water proofing made for tents and it seemed to have stopped it.
These cars are a pain, I am an old school mechanic and battled a check engine light for 3 months and finally took it to a shop and they found the exhaust pipe was cracked between O2-1 and O2-2..Now I have a BAS and ESP light one and hoping it's just the brake switch :(

·
Registered
1999 W208 CLK320
315 Posts
I don't remember the fuse number but there is a big ( 20 or 30a maybe ) that controls the pump for the top..My pump was bad and mine kept blowing..My roof also leaked and I sprayed a water proofing made for tents and it seemed to have stopped it.
These cars are a pain, I am an old school mechanic and battled a check engine light for 3 months and finally took it to a shop and they found the exhaust pipe was cracked between O2-1 and O2-2..Now I have a BAS and ESP light one and hoping it's just the brake switch :(
Have you tried doing a re-set? Turning steering all the way one way and then all the way the other?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How exactly does the heating core work inside the compartment? I'm talking about the variable control button hot/cold, when i just turn the fan onto position one with hotter / colder it's not doing anything related to the temperature. When i hit EC it just starts to push out extreme hot air, which is the only way now to cool it in stop traffic.

I have'nt had much time to check the car, i just drove it the last few days. The thing is leaking from multiple sides now when it rains. I can tell the next morning since the driver side is wet and the back floor as well. I think i can do alot of fixing myself, but body work repair is a bit tricky. The doors wont shut properly. It's not due to the way the doors are being closed but i can find front frame damage which prevents the door from closing properly. There's a gap difference from like 0.5cm up to 1.5cm on the top of the right door, like it's completely out of align.

I think the car still holds value, these go on the market here for in between 10 a 12k. Because it has a LPG and working installation in it, it's still an addition once properly fixed. No i'm not going to throw 5k in that thing to get like 7500 back or so, but if it takes an investment of approx 1500 which is reasonable to get all shit sorted then it might be still OK. As for the frame damage, i'll take it to a shop who can show me more details on that, and whats it worth. Otherwise if it's too much i'll just put it on the clifs and say goodbye while releasing the handbrake.

Speakers are messed up. Is it possible to bridge a channel on any given stereo inside a car? I know you can with a amplifier. This is what my idea was: detach the small doorspeakers, only use the bigger ones in the door (and proberly replace 'm), bridge the left / right rear to the subwoofer only. That sounds like shit too btw once a reasonable volume is put in. I have'nt done the numbers but i think i can upgrade the car setup and sound for approx 200, if i dont swap out the sub yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah well upgrading the radio already solved the bad sound. All speakers sound alot better now and better, there's bluetooth now. As for the car, the parking sensor seems to work sporadic, there's days it does'nt and there's days it is. Sounds like moisture to the connectors or sensors to me. Engine wise it runs good. No complaints really. Is there a way to get a star cable and diagnose this myself? Ebay? I have a older notebook with Windows 7, so it should be possible. As for the leaks, i think i found the culprut and the sollution. Use some stuff to prevent leaks that they use for rain.

Half of the interiour is letting go, lol. Like the elegant styling on the doors and all that. The connectors or switches to move the chairs front / back seem to operate "sporadic" > meaning if you want the chair to be pushed back it actually pushes you forward, lol. I bought some good glue to at least fix the panels from slowly coming lose. The car is in a warm climate (portugal) and looking at the age it's no wonder the original fabric does'nt hold that well anymore. I'll fix that myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts