Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 426 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
Some useful advise

W116's are not worth a lot of money, put it back on Ebay and buy another one.

From reading your initial post about oil leaks and metric wrenches , it's pretty that you know nothing about German cars and neither does your mechanic (no offense). Trying to perform some sort of conversion is going to get you in more trouble then you are now.

What W116 model is it? Is it rust free? It may be worth something to someone in the UK, Australia, South Africa or the far east.

Good luck and try to cut your losses before you dig yourself a bigger hole.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
ElectricHorseman said:
I buy a car from Ebay only later to find it is RHD which now stands for Right Hand Drive. Then I find out there is no conversion kit to make it normal. Whenever I drive the car it leaks oil like a sieve and there is no such thing as customer support when I call Mercedes-Benz. I go out to the garage to try and tighten it up a little and I find out this bitch only uses metric size tools not the normal American Standard. I hope anyone who wants to buy one of these things runs from it.
Hahaha. Hilarious! Just what IS modern day MB customer support supposed to say about a 30 year old right hand drive car, anyway? "Good luck with that, sir." "It turns out RHD NOW stands for Right Hand Drive." Lots of love! Yes. ==, hopefully this is a brilliant(?) joke.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
46,416 Posts
Probably easier to move to England than to convert it anyway...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
GermanStar said:
Probably easier to move to England than to convert it anyway...
Yeah that's it. I get accused of insulting everyone when all I asked for were some professional opinions and I get shitty replies like the above. It's all one big joke and funfest while I am stuck with this bitch. Want to know what I think I'll do with it? Get some white shoe polish and write "Best Offer" and park in on a curb. Then maybe I'll follow the advice given and call Cadillac for a fine motor car experience which is what I was after anyway.

·
17,557 Posts
11-07-2006, 02:51 PM #10 Electric Horseman vbmenu_register("postmenu_2094575", true);
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by diametricalbenz
Precisely, if it was so easy I would be shipping over Skyline GTR's. :)

But with enough money anything is possible but it's a 280SE, having RHD in the US would be quite a novelty. Parallel parking is a snap!

Look if I had wanted a novelty I would have bought a pair of fuzzy dice to hang from the rear view mirror. I asked for advice because I thought I would love this car but it is a nest of problems. I thought there would be a few people here that knew how to iron them out. Since I can't get that here could someone provide the Email or address to Mercedes-Benz customer complaints so I can tell them what I think of their car.

This is where you started insulting when everyone was trying to help you figure out a solution to your dilemma.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Electric Horseman said:
Then maybe I'll follow the advice given and call Cadillac for a fine motor car experience which is what I was after anyway.
Go buy a Caddy, and see-ya later!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Electric Horseman said:
Yeah that's it. I get accused of insulting everyone when all I asked for were some professional opinions and I get shitty replies like the above. It's all one big joke and funfest while I am stuck with this bitch. Want to know what I think I'll do with it? Get some white shoe polish and write "Best Offer" and park in on a curb. Then maybe I'll follow the advice given and call Cadillac for a fine motor car experience which is what I was after anyway.
you asked for opinions and people told you exactly what was necessary to swap to a lhd car. bottom line is you got ripped off and somehow that is MB and our fault. I guarantee you that a thirty year old cadillac will not meet the quality of the benz. It's really unfortunate that you got screwed on ebay, but instead of throwing insults maybe you should of listened. Everyone on this forum is extremely knowledgeable and very helpful. I really hope you get rid of the benz because I'm tired of reading you b*tch about everything.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Post your request on any other forum and you'll get the same responses. If anyone else would like to concur please do so.

·
Banned
17,697 Posts
Electric Horseman said:
I buy a car from Ebay only later to find it is RHD which now stands for Right Hand Drive.
EH, Beofre you bought the car sight unseen, before you transferred any money to ths guy's account, when you read the ad and you saw RHD in the ad, exactly what did you think RHD stood for?

Rough & Heavy Duty

Rugged Heavin Dick

Exactly what did you think it stood for?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Jakarta Expat said:
EH, Beofre you bought the car sight unseen, before you transferred any money to ths guy's account, when you read the ad and you saw RHD in the ad, exactly what did you think RHD stood for?

Rough & Heavy Duty

Rugged Heavin Dick

Exactly what did you think it stood for?
It really doesn't matter what I thought it meant. I was driving this bitch last night to pick up a six pack of beer when something in the engine let go and it blew up so I abandoned it in a Chuck E. Cheese parking lot with the title in the glove box and I never going back to get it. I'd tell you where so one of you weenies might go pick it up except from what I've seen the membership would rather give me a hard time than help out. I'm buying another car off Ebay but haven't decided on the make yet but I can assure you it won't be a shitty Mercedes Benz 280SE. Deal with it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Wow, we're missing out not knowing where this car is!(do you sense sarcasm) But then again, we are all weenies and never gave you a bit of advice to help you out. You haven't read this thread, just like you didn't read the ebay listing.

Maybe you'll have more success walking to your future destinations?

See ya later sucka!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Electric Horseman said:
It really doesn't matter what I thought it meant. I was driving this bitch last night to pick up a six pack of beer when something in the engine let go and it blew up so I abandoned it in a Chuck E. Cheese parking lot with the title in the glove box and I never going back to get it. I'd tell you where so one of you weenies might go pick it up except from what I've seen the membership would rather give me a hard time than help out. I'm buying another car off Ebay but haven't decided on the make yet but I can assure you it won't be a shitty Mercedes Benz 280SE. Deal with it.
you truly are a wise person buying another car off ebay... you'd think you'd learn a lesson.

·
Premium Member
16,161 Posts
For what it's worth, you'll need the correct dashboard, wipers, firewall grommets, rerouting of lots of electrical, vacuum, hydraulic and AC lines, possibly the battery placement should be changed, rerouting of vacuum and electrical lines under the dashboard, and not to mention getting everything back together and properly working again. In addition, you'll need to swap the E-brake to the correct side and get the correct release handle for it, reroute the cables under the vehicle, and swap (meaning, get a proper LHD driver seat) the seats as well so the armrests are in the proper place. Finally, you also need to swap the pedals, brake controls, brake lines, and throttle linkages to the correct side using the correct parts. If you want to be really anal, change the "02" part of the VIN to the correct "12" which means LHD and automatic, not RHD.

If you're already bitching about it without even trying to do something, then you're not up to the task. Do not blame or insult us or MB for your mistake. It's your mistake, try to correct it. If people here do not agree with your idea, or if they do not give you ideas you want, it's because they're trying to save you the trouble of going through hell and back, and you should even be thankful for that.

Put the car back on Ebay and get yourself the correct LHD car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Alright I've calmed down a little bit and regathered my wits. I went today and towed the bitch home and parked it in the garage. I decided to make it my winter project rebuilding the engine, new interior and converting to Left Hand Drive. I went to Wal-Mart today and bought a set of gay European metric tools to start the rebuild. I figure that this will be a great winter project and by next spring I shall be motorvating again in style like my original vision. I hope we can put all the hard feeling behind us and have some productive discussions on this project because I feel I will have a lot of technical questions.

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
It may help to let us know where your located? It may be useful to someone as a parts car although I really don't think its a big deal to run around in a RHD car. I'm planning to bring my RHD 71 250CE to my new home in Atlanta, GA and restore it. I have no intention of changing the steering.

21 - 40 of 426 Posts
About this Discussion
425 Replies
92 Participants
miko1aj
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing