Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe - RIP
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Well some good news! The duct tape quieted it down immensely and also cut down the draft significantly. I may now get one of those small heaters now as it might be able to keep up.

I stopped at a steakhouse here in Okla city for a down home meal.

·
Registered
2016 C300, 2006 S430, 2003 C240, 1991 190E 2.6
517 Posts
Well some good news! The duct tape quieted it down immensely and also cut down the draft significantly. I may now get one of those small heaters now as it might be able to keep up.

I stopped at a steakhouse here in Okla city for a down home meal.
Great, :grin

Have another beer to warm you up :beerchugr:

·
1987 & 1991 C126
5,833 Posts
Air Guide R&R

I forget how to take the cowl off. What I was going to do was when I get to by buddy's house in TN, was to drop the pass side kick panel and remove the airbag, then disconnect the two pods and wedge that flap closed.

If I stop for a bit, the car warms right up, so the heater is working, but it just cannot overcome that fresh air vent.
Hey Mike,

What an ordeal!

I am glad you have some relief from all that cold air being sucked into the cabin!!

While not presuming to tell you what to do.. i just ask you to please take a second [or third] look at the air guide removal sequence. Its R&R is dead easy & pretty quick too. Heck, even I can do it standing up even. So simple I promise you its a parking lot job, albeit chilly out, but you won't be disappointed with the result.. :)

* As an aside, while working under the hood on my car when it was below freezing ambient here… I ran the engine 'til warm/hot then shut off. It was amazing how comparatively warm my working environment was at the time…. Just an idea.

In the supplied pdf below, MB doesn't mention the lateral weatherstrip across the body between the L & R hood hinges . Up that bad boy comes revealing several clips that hold the forward edge of the air guide in place Next they pop off with a little screwdriver or something pointed.... Note: they may want to dive into the open engine bay.. Don't ask how i know please.

The aforementioned wiper arms are the fiddly bit.. I think they might be the pretty simple 'hardest' part in the sequence.

Then the rear seal at the windscreen slides / wiggles away..

Then the black plastic retainer clip securing the left & right halves together…

The left side comes off first.. followed by the right..

Voila! Access

Malc.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Thanks Malcolm! I did pull my cowling off the coupe some years ago, but forgot the exact sequence. Thanks for the refresher. At my next destination in TN tonight I will have an enclosed warm shop with tools that I can really pull it apart. I drove till about 1:30 am last night and then pulled over and slept till aboy 7:30 gassed up, ate at Waffle House and I will get on the road again.

Going to make Memphis and goto my old Navy base in Millington, then to my buddy's in Springfield.

·
Registered
'89 560SEC, '90 560SEL
682 Posts
I drove my SEC through snowmageddon in OH/PA a couple years ago - thank God my heat works great in that car. I can't imagine dealing with roads like that while freezing to death. It's probably a little late now, but wool socks and long underwear make a huge difference. Here's hoping the second half of the trip goes more smoothly than the first!

·
Registered
Smoke Silver '87 560SEC, Black Pearl '87 560SEL
4,600 Posts
Mike - had a similar problem and it was that the coolant level was too low. Put in coolant, blessed heat.

You checked the presence of vacuum at the fitting that goes through the secondary firewall forward of the master cylinder? If you get a chance at Walmart, get several feet of rubber vacuum hose - jumper from the engine side vacuum line to one of the two on the other side of the yellow lump on the secondary firewall. Don't remember which line does what, but that's the line (if IIRC) that provides vacuum to the climate system.

Hope the rest of the trip goes well, but a relative in the Norfolk, VA says it's snowing there today. I think the gods are telling you that leaving Lancaster might not be the best idea!! :)

Good luck, buddy!

·
Premium Member
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I am going to be in Birmingham on Monday and Atlanta on Tuesday. Going to slow my roll a bit.

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC Black on Grey
1,924 Posts
Careful On the highways down there. The entire region is a speed trap and they love the civil forfeiture law where they take your money, car etc. and you have to prove you paid for them with clean money which is impossible. Especially with your pinko commie California plates, you are a prime target. Worst part of America by a longshot for dishonest law enforcement.

·
Premium Member
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Careful On the highways down there. The entire region is a speed trap and they love the civil forfeiture law where they take your money, car etc. and you have to prove you paid for them with clean money which is impossible. Especially with your pinko commie California plates, you are a prime target. Worst part of America by a longshot for dishonest law enforcement.
What? I've never had any problems driving in the south with my "Commie pinko California plates" I am an American citizen after all going to work for the frderal government.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEC 1985 300CD
1,425 Posts
<<"750 miles from Birmingham to D.C....>>"

There's a song in there somewhere.

"I'm sixteen hundred miles from the people I know
Been doin' all I can but opportunity sure comes slow"

Hope Mother Nature isn't tossing you too many curves.

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
7,027 Posts
What? I've never had any problems driving in the south with my "Commie pinko California plates" I am an American citizen after all going to work for the frderal government.
its not like he is an actor or anything...LOL

·
1987 & 1991 C126
5,833 Posts
Hi again,

" You checked the presence of vacuum at the fitting that goes through the secondary firewall forward of the master cylinder? If you get a chance at Walmart, get several feet of rubber vacuum hose - jumper from the engine side vacuum line to one of the two on the other side of the yellow lump on the secondary firewall. Don't remember which line does what, but that's the line (if IIRC) that provides vacuum to the climate system. "

To pick up on what Mike had said about vacuum feed through firewalls.. I had lots of experience with that last summer in my own car..

I took me longer to attempt to annotate the image below Its kinda faint & all.. I tried to add a pdf so it might be more legible on different screens.. Uff Won't take just now..

Maybe it will help.

Hang in there Bud. :)

MBL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I'm here safe and sound and didn't get one ticket, thrown in jail or my life confiscated.

·
Premium Member
16 Silverado CC LT 4WD, 12 BMW K1600GTL, 11 Infiniti G37, 10 Infiniti G37x
5,830 Posts
Congrats! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1978 Euro 350SL Lorisner, 73 450SL AMG Clone
1,152 Posts
I'm here safe and sound and didn't get one ticket, thrown in jail or my life confiscated.
Thanks for the call today.
Glad you made it safe. take the long weekend and see some sites. then the fun really begins next week.

·
Registered
1978 Euro 350SL Lorisner, 73 450SL AMG Clone
1,152 Posts
I hope that the settling in is going well. I know once you get a place to live and are out of the hotel it will get much better. Spring is just around the corner and there will be a lot of things to do. This is a very exciting time as the adventure has many unknowns, and will lead to many great adventures.

meet up with the BW guys back east, there are a lot of good Germany restaurants in MD, VA, and PA.

Reactions: mramay
41 - 60 of 85 Posts