Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1981 300SD, 1976 300D
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of thinking about purchasing a 126, specifically the 300SD (like the short wheelbase as I am rarely carrying passengers, and the 5 cyl turbo is a nice correlation to my other automotive obsession- the early Audi Quattros)... my boss at the German car shop made me a deal I couldn't refuse on his '81 SD.
My favorite color combo: Silver with excellent (I mean no rips or splits anywhere) black leather.

I did it. I finally got a Benz before the age of 30. (Only 9 months to go!) I love this car. So swank, so smooth... I wanted one before I fell into the job (based on my Audi experience) and got to work on them day in and day out- the 126 is unique. I've heard it said that it might well be the best built car ever made- I don't see many reasons to doubt that- I paid 1500 for a gleaming beauty of a car, and four days later took it on a 600 mile round trip to CA for the Coachella Music Festival. Ran like a Swiss watch and fetched 26 mpg average. She needs an A/C compressor (which I have, it was thrown in the deal) the sunroof is inop, and the cruise is intermittent. Power windows, seats, and locks all work perfectly. She needs new wheels as the current ones are three Bundt-cake 14s in peeling chrome, and one with original finish and a whitewall (yeeeech!). I have owned 19 cars and this one has everything but blinding speed. That's OK. I have a 1987 Audi Quattro with 18 psi of boost for that (150 mph top end and a 14.6 quarter mile)... the SD is like driving my living room, except it's got better seating.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Welcome. [:)]What’s the mileage? You’ve got a great car, there – and the standard wheelbase if perfectly comfortable for passengers. Post some pics, needless to say, and enjoy – no argument here about them being the best built cars ever, btw…[8D]

·
Registered
1981 300SD, 1976 300D
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She'll turn 228,000 when I go out for the evening tonight. Wouldn't know it, though... I was at a Euro car meet last night and the consensus was that I must have paid 10,000!!! It's that clean:

(Taken in downtown Palm Springs 300 miles from home in Phoenix AZ. Like I said, she ran like a champ...

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 300SD
831 Posts
This forum here is good and there are alot of helpful members. If you want the best DIESEL forum, go here.

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/forumdisplay.php3?f=15

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
Very nice, and welcome... This is the best place for info on your new baby... Enjoy it..[:)][:)]

·
Registered
90 420SEL
44 Posts
Congats on your purchase! I also bought one for the first time a couple months back. Just a spur of the moment thing and I am really pleased with it.I had to fly to Vancouver to get it and drive back home, almost 800 miles with it. Did it all in one day and when I was almost home,I felt like I could turn around and go back without a problem. No aches or pains anywhere and I still felt fresh. I thought leather seats would get sticky, but they've got that covered.No pun intended. Awesome cars!I'm sure you'll start enjoying it more as time goes on. I know I am. This forum is also a really big help. I've fixed a couple minor issues caused by poor prior repairs already. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
Another AZ'er! Where was this euro car meet? I've got a service shop for you if you need one. PM or email me if you're interested.

·
Registered
1981 300SD, 1976 300D
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike! Buddy! Ya gotta come out to the Euro meet, I am the only M-B there... your fleet sounds very impressive. 1st and 3rd Thursday nights of the month, 7:30 PM, In-N-Out Burger at Ray Rd @ I-10.

It's based around a lot of kids with modded Jettas and E36s, but occasionally some true flavor shows up (there's this gent with the most beautiful Saab SPG I have ever seen- he bought it brand new in 1986 and it has been concours its whole life despite being driven on 3 continents!) and I'd love to increase the MB count out there!!

As for a shop, I'm good right now. I am a mid-level tech at a MB/BMW/VW/Audi shop and I purchased the car from the boss. Am curious what your recommendations would be though...

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
I am a mid-level tech at a MB/BMW/VW/Audi shop and I purchased the car from the boss. Am curious what your recommendations would be though...
What shop? My father-in-law owns German Car Service in S. Scottsdale. I-10 & Ray Road is quite a way from me but I'll try to make it out sometime.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts