Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
W140 S class, E31 850Ci, XC90 Exec AWD geartronic
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in process of retro fitting the electric rear sunblind.

(1)Does anyone know how to...

(1)Does anyone know how to remove the rear parcel shelf??
(2)Is the wiring already in place??

I will post a 'How to' for everyone as soon as I have completed the project.
[8D]

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Re: I am in process of retro fitting the electric rear sunblind.(1)Does anyone know how to

(1)Does anyone know how to remove the rear parcel shelf??
(2)Is the wiring already in place??

I will post a 'How to' for everyone as soon as I have completed the project.
[8D]
Gill,
i maybe no help, but the guys at that shop in UK, told me that i dont have to remove anything and all i have to do is connect the power to the battery (12Vol).

I never bought it, as i did not know if that would really fit in my car. I would be very very anxious to know how things go with you.

///S320

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: I am in process of retro fitting the electric rear sunblind.(1)Does anyone know how to

Gill,
i maybe no help, but the guys at that shop in UK, told me that i dont have to remove anything and all i have to do is connect the power to the battery (12Vol).

I never bought it, as i did not know if that would really fit in my car. I would be very very anxious to know how things go with you.

///S320
Thanks ///S320, the one I am fitting is an original MB one, not an aftermarket model that just needs +12v.

I will be fitting an original lift switch in the front console and wanted to know if the wires are already in place, if not I will have to run wires between the back shelf, switch and fusebox.
The rear shelf on sunblind models is slighty different to those without. I will check that I can cut a slot into the shelf before seeing if I need to buy one that is precut.

Did you manage to replace the dying bulbs in your instrument cluster?

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Re: Re: Re: I am in process of retro fitting the electric rear sunblind.(1)Does anyone know ho

Thanks ///S320, the one I am fitting is an original MB one, not an aftermarket model that just needs +12v.

I will be fitting an original lift switch in the front console and wanted to know if the wires are already in place, if not I will have to run wires between the back shelf, switch and fusebox.
The rear shelf on sunblind models is slighty different to those without. I will check that I can cut a slot into the shelf before seeing if I need to buy one that is precut.

Did you manage to replace the dying bulbs in your instrument cluster?
Oh so you are fitting the original equipment. Hmmm... i asked several delears here and they quoted a price of atleast $750.00 with the motor and the blind.. very expensive for me at the moment..
But it looks very cool once you install it. My friends CL500 has one and i love it.

No i did not touch the cluster panel yet. I was having some huge problems with my xenons recently and spend much time fixing the beam pattern.
[8)]

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have just been to see the dealer to order the parts I need in addition to the roller its...

I have just been to see the dealer to order the parts I need in addition to the roller itself.

Switch MA140 820 61 10 Switch £12.54
Wiring Harness MA140 540 96 13 £23.39
Rear Covering MA140 694 07 33 £18.81

In addition I was advised that I needed a new rear shelf MA140 690 03 47 colour no 7C44 (silver) with the slot cut in place at £162.99. I am going to try cutting a slot before buying the shelf. A new Wood Panel with the extra cut out is also required. I am going to precision drill a hole to accomodate the switch on the existing wood panel.

The electric roller itself cost me £51.00 brand new from ebay MA140 810 20 05 normally £236.55

I will keep you informed as the parts arrive and I begin to construct the assembly

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Re: I have just been to see the dealer to order the parts I need in addition to the roller its

I have just been to see the dealer to order the parts I need in addition to the roller itself.

Switch MA140 820 61 10 Switch £12.54
Wiring Harness MA140 540 96 13 £23.39
Rear Covering MA140 694 07 33 £18.81

In addition I was advised that I needed a new rear shelf MA140 690 03 47 colour no 7C44 (silver) with the slot cut in place at £162.99. I am going to try cutting a slot before buying the shelf. A new Wood Panel with the extra cut out is also required. I am going to precision drill a hole to accomodate the switch on the existing wood panel.

The electric roller itself cost me £51.00 brand new from ebay MA140 810 20 05 normally £236.55

I will keep you informed as the parts arrive and I begin to construct the assembly

Hey Gill,
Did you ever try those guys at that shop in London? They send me these pics. In this installation, you really dont have to do anything other than just adjusting it in the parcel shelf. Now, iam not sure if it would really fit in my car ..

Have you seen it in real? if so, how was the quality? is the base of the blind too big and bulky?

[^]

Attachments

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I originally saw the electric roller blind for sale by ECP 8 years ago. I brought it for i...

I originally saw the electric roller blind for sale by ECP 8 years ago. I brought it for installation to my BMW 5 series. The base is visable and the motor stuck out a little from the tube. It wasnt a bad bit of kit, but at that time, I wanted something that looked original so I returned it. The motor was also quite loud (a bit like an electric arial inside your car), and the switch assembly looked a little like an electric window switch which had to be held until it was fully up or fully down (no one touch operation).

They have obviously improved on that kit since then as the base tube looks much nicer and its remote. I was in ECP last week buying brake pads for my Audi A3. I saw the roller and it didnt look too bad.

Its not expensive and if you dont want it for your Merc you can easily sell it on for a profit.

I wanted to keep my Merc looking original which is why I went for the OEM route.

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Dito!
I would say the same about my car. Keep it original. But you know, iam afraid to cu...

Dito!
I would say the same about my car. Keep it original. But you know, iam afraid to cut out pieces and install equipment. I always think that, what if i mess up something ..

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The switch, harness and cover arrived from the Benz dealer today.
The Roller itself has a...

The switch, harness and cover arrived from the Benz dealer today.
The Roller itself has a 12v 2 pin connector. I assume the polarity is reversed to lower/raise the blind itself.

The wiring harness has three ends. One plugs straight into the roller. The second plugs straight into the switch, the third splits three ways Brown, Red and Grey. The brown is earth and has an eye washer to clamp at a convenient location. The red (which is sheathed in black towards the end) has a neat female spade connector which due to its length, I assume would go to the fuse box +12. The last wire is grey with a blue stripe running down it and is very thin. I assume this would be to illuminate the switch when the lights are turned on. I will check the other switches and wire it to a neighbouring wire of the same colour with a clamp lock. There is no connector on this wire. It is bare at the end. Its length is very short from the switch itself.

I will begin to construct the assembly in the next few weeks

Having examined the rear shelf deck on other cars fitted with the roller, it looks like I will have to buy one. The skew angle at which the roller goes up has be accounted for on this revised shelf.

I am still scratching my head over how to remove the rear shelf. If its anything like my BMW, then removing the seat rear backrests and sliding the shelf forward having undone the medical kit screws should do the trick.

Stay tuned for further updates

[8)]

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Awesome!
But how are you going to put the rocker switch? You said that you would precisio...

Awesome!
But how are you going to put the rocker switch? You said that you would precision drill it somewhere. Now, are you goint to drill it near dash? if so, how would you route the wires back to the roller?

[:D]

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tested it out when I got home. The red and brown connectors were wired direct to a power s...

Tested it out when I got home. The red and brown connectors were wired direct to a power source. The rocker worked perfectly. The roller glides up and down effortlessly and quietly.

The centre wood section where the gear selector is, detaches from the assembly as described in my 'how to change the gear selector post. I will remove this and place it on a bench drill and drill four holes at each corner. From there, I can either dremell the wood to join the holes or pass it to my brother-in-law who is a jeweller; he has all kinds of fine machining tools which can do this job without damaging the wood.

On further examination, I found the cover I ordered is not needed. The one already there is perfectly usable. I will exchange this for a new rear shelf deck at the dealer tomorrow.

The cables can run under the kickplates from the back shelf to the centre console, from there, the red wire runs through the firewall straight to fuse #33 under the fuse box.

I can't wait to have this all running, if only there were more hours in the day [:p]

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Re: Tested it out when I got home. The red and brown connectors were wired direct to a power s

Tested it out when I got home. The red and brown connectors were wired direct to a power source. The rocker worked perfectly. The roller glides up and down effortlessly and quietly.

The centre wood section where the gear selector is, detaches from the assembly as described in my 'how to change the gear selector post. I will remove this and place it on a bench drill and drill four holes at each corner. From there, I can either dremell the wood to join the holes or pass it to my brother-in-law who is a jeweller; he has all kinds of fine machining tools which can do this job without damaging the wood.

On further examination, I found the cover I ordered is not needed. The one already there is perfectly usable. I will exchange this for a new rear shelf deck at the dealer tomorrow.

The cables can run under the kickplates from the back shelf to the centre console, from there, the red wire runs through the firewall straight to fuse #33 under the fuse box.

I can't wait to have this all running, if only there were more hours in the day [:p]
Gill,
Buddy why dont you come to Chicago and do mine as well. In return ill show you some "real" good time around chicagoland and introduce you to some of my "lady friends"!

(I think iam following you quite well, just that iam confused about the rocker switch, running the cables and conencting to the fuse..[8)] )

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Re: Tested it out when I got home. The red and brown connectors were wired direct to a pow

Gill,
Buddy why dont you come to Chicago and do mine as well. In return ill show you some "real" good time around chicagoland and introduce you to some of my "lady friends"!

(I think iam following you quite well, just that iam confused about the rocker switch, running the cables and conencting to the fuse..[8)] )

I would happly fit it for you.
I am taking photos as I go along. Watch out for my 'How to retro fit the sunblind' post coming real soon. Pictures explain things a lot easier than words can.
I would love to go to Chicago - not so sure my wife would like me to meet your lady friends [:I] .

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Re: do you have a web site for the company that carries this sunshade setup?...

do you have a web site for the company that carries this sunshade setup?
http://www.eurocarparts.com/

UK based company. Will cost about ~ $175

Let me know if you buy one ..

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update

stil waiting for the shelf!!!! #MA140 690 03 47 its on backorder and i've been told that there are none in the factory. Hopefully It will arrive within the next ten days and I can start to contruct the assembly when I get back from holiday

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.