Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to help my son buy a older W124. Any recmmendations regarding good year and model?

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,730 Posts
RE: I am going to help my son buy a older W124. Any recmmendations regarding good year and model?

Hi Rube,

All 124's are good. They have bullet-proof engines, and having one of these with 300,000 km on the clock without problems is not uncommon. At 100,000 km (60,000 miles) these cars are hardly "used." Just get one in good shape and don't worry. Trust me, these cars are better than almost anything on the market today, new or used. Your grandsons will probably get to drive it.

Here's a link to help you:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/carreviews/archivedReview.aspx?range_id=456

·
Registered
2006 S500 AMG Wifes Rig Hillbilly Girl 02 ML320
2,332 Posts
RE: I am going to help my son buy a older W124. Any recmmendations regarding good year and model?

Here ya go Rube ! 1990 125k looks and runs nice !

[;)][;)][;)][;)][;)][;)]

$3995.00

Smokie

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 260E Mercedes
154 Posts

Hey Rube,

I purchased a W124 when I turned 17, and still drive the car to this day. I have put over 100K on it.

I would recomend a 300 or 260E, both have enough power, and are really fun to drive.

When you are looking at cars, do a through inspection. Check for rust, body damage etc. I would also recomend a CARFAX, just in case the car has had accidents/junk title.

I would also recomend taking it to a local mechanic to make sure that the vehicle is in top notch mechanical condition. Most sellers, have no issues with this, unless they are trying to hide something.. [8)]

Regarding safety, I was involved in a accident with a W124, and this car was a lifesaver. If your looking for a save investment for your son, this would be it.

The only downside to these cars are the maintaince costs. Parts are expensive new (Buy used!!!) and good mechanics are sometimes hard to find.

Good luck with choosing a W124. Post some pictures if you make your purchase!

·
Registered
'96 sl500, 87 300td
134 Posts

Get a diesel sedan. A very good safe car with out the power to get into big trouble easily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts