Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 100 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
Kim, use a VPN app to change your IP to one in America. Problem solved.

Looking back none of this would have been possible had it not been for mclare's hard bargaining skills with the Arizona junkyard that ultimately convinced them to go against an "no sell" policy and sell the car. Anyone else, the donor '83 500SEC 5.4 AMG widebody would probably be crushed. Yes, the fenders could have been cut and salvaged if that was going to happen, but at the time the car was deemed worthy of saving whole.

But since then, several wide bodies have popped up world-wide, I'm sure the repro would have happened one way or another, but back then it was unicorn-worthy.

So hats off to mclare. Congrats to Bob! :thumbsup:

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

·
Registered
WHEELER DEALER WIDEBODY 500SEC, 1971 280 SL,1994 sl320,1984 Euro AMG 500sec, 1990 Euro 560sec Yakuza
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
England and some other countries are on the 21st

Dammit, I'm itching to see it but my other half hasn't found it online yet. Soon...[/Q
It airs in England on Discovery Channel on the 21st!

·
Registered
2004 & 2005 Mercedes Benz CLK 55 AMG, 2014 GLK 350
46 Posts
Awesome! I'm a huge fan of Wheeler Dealer. It was great seeing a Benz Forum members on one of your favorite shows.

Cheers,
~W.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Do you know if Magnaflow are going to sell the headers and exhaust they built for the car?

-KK
I do know, and the answer is no. Not at that price, no.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Kim, use a VPN app to change your IP to one in America. Problem solved.

Looking back none of this would have been possible had it not been for mclare's hard bargaining skills with the Arizona junkyard that ultimately convinced them to go against an "no sell" policy and sell the car. Anyone else, the donor '83 500SEC 5.4 AMG widebody would probably be crushed. Yes, the fenders could have been cut and salvaged if that was going to happen, but at the time the car was deemed worthy of saving whole.

But since then, several wide bodies have popped up world-wide, I'm sure the repro would have happened one way or another, but back then it was unicorn-worthy.

So hats off to mclare. Congrats to Bob! :thumbsup:

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Thanks David! Boy, it sure is wierd to see that pic again!

Not to mention that I did that trip exactly one week after my heart attack!

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
I think the answer you were looking for is already published two posts up.

I understand MF is not returning calls and emails on repeated inquiries by multiple people concerning "that Mercedes from Wheeler Dealers exhaust".

Must be a Hollywood 'do-me-a-favor' one-time thing.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
I "actually" know because I spoke with Jeff at MF and they have no plans to produce that system at all. It was a one off for the show

Like I said Kola, I actually know the players here as they are in my backyard. When you have been here more than 5 minutes you will realize I know of what I speak.

·
Registered
WHEELER DEALER WIDEBODY 500SEC, 1971 280 SL,1994 sl320,1984 Euro AMG 500sec, 1990 Euro 560sec Yakuza
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
magnaflow exhaust

I wanted a set for my other solid lifter sec and tried to get ahold of them through both phone calls and emails and the best I got was that someone was going to get back to me and have not heard anything since. All that happened in June right after we filmed. If someone finds out anything please let me know. I think mclare might have hit the nail on the head , that the whole system was too much trouble to make a small batch run.
Bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Bob, just talked to Jeff and they are NOT going to produce this system. MAYBE in the future, maybe... Doubtful.

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
Guess we're still relegated to buying $700 AMG tips (a pair of premerger tips sold on Yahoo Japan for that last week!) and sticking them on generic mufflers.

Sucks...would have been great to have a new MF designed for the w126

Trooper6, the guy who had that AMG 6.0 32V sedan on Original Rare here http://www.originalrare.com/stocklist/526861/ had a new exhaust made. Who, if you remember?

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,231 Posts
I finally watched the episode. It was very entertaining for me. Bob kept me up to date with some details from the very start and the story honestly seemed to have gone down the exact same way it did in reality, but I don't recall the negotiations being directly with Mike. It sure would be more exciting to get a direct call from Mike out if the blue.

I wish they gave a little more detail on the mystique of pre-merger AMG and how they didn't keep great records before they were acquired by MB.

81 - 100 of 173 Posts