Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
07 s550 4matic black/black
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
,,, at the smooth power of these beasts! i had an opportunity to get out in the chicago sun and warmth (80s!) today with the top down heading south out of chicago on one of our motorways at a cool 100mph. the car was as stable and powerful as if it was moving at 30mph! i am also continually impressed at the available pulling power from the "beyond 75 mph" band. i hit hard the accelerator at 75 and was at 100 before i knew it. good fun! and what a sense of security in these vaults of a car! I LOVE IT!

i know it has been professed over and over again, but if benzo today went back to the brilliant build formula of the 70s-80s and built their cars today like then --> they would be back on top of the quality and fun charts in no time.

damn i love this car!

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,257 Posts
For even more amazement, try a low speed full lock u-turn. How does such a big car have such a small turning radius? I had to back off the wheel a little to avoid ending up in the median I was turning around.

·
Registered
'72 350sl & g500
597 Posts
yeah, i just noticed the amazing turning radius last week... driving in our cul de sac, i was doing laps (~5). When i drive the G500 or the BMW i have to either back up or jump the curb (with the G i will jump). Love that old thing

·
Registered
88 560SL, 06 Prius, 07 Prius
61 Posts
I think u-turn radius is one of the details that mercedes used to pay attention to. I don't know about the new cars.

My 560SL and 124 E320 both had amazing radii. I've heard the same about the 126's.

Everytime i pop a U-ey, I'm impressed.

-- J.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,451 Posts
turning circle

Funny, I was just thinking the opposite: how clumsy my 560SL is to turn. I often have to take a couple of cuts to get into a mall parking slot. I believe my Yukon 4x4 turns sharper. My 350Z certainly does.
I seem to recollect my previous 450SL being much nimbler, but I had a SL-less period of 2 years between the 450 and the 560 so that could be my imagination. I checked the specs and there is a very few inches in the 450's favor.
Now I hear you fellows raving about the tight turning circle, I wonder if mine has a problem. All I can think of would be accident damage but the car had a full undercarriage inspection recently, with no faults found.
Comments?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,682 Posts
dugald said:
Funny, I was just thinking the opposite: how clumsy my 560SL is to turn. I often have to take a couple of cuts to get into a mall parking slot. I believe my Yukon 4x4 turns sharper. My 350Z certainly does.
I seem to recollect my previous 450SL being much nimbler, but I had a SL-less period of 2 years between the 450 and the 560 so that could be my imagination. I checked the specs and there is a very few inches in the 450's favor.
Now I hear you fellows raving about the tight turning circle, I wonder if mine has a problem. All I can think of would be accident damage but the car had a full undercarriage inspection recently, with no faults found.
Comments?
My 280SL turns on a dime....way better than my Civic.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
ajm0623 said:
,,, at the smooth power of these beasts! i had an opportunity to get out in the chicago sun and warmth (80s!) today with the top down heading south out of chicago on one of our motorways at a cool 100mph. the car was as stable and powerful as if it was moving at 30mph! i am also continually impressed at the available pulling power from the "beyond 75 mph" band. i hit hard the accelerator at 75 and was at 100 before i knew it. good fun! and what a sense of security in these vaults of a car! I LOVE IT!

i know it has been professed over and over again, but if benzo today went back to the brilliant build formula of the 70s-80s and built their cars today like then --> they would be back on top of the quality and fun charts in no time.

damn i love this car!

Yup I had my 73 up to 109mph the other day when I put on the new wheels. I want to make they'd stay on with the Knock on. It was so smooth over 55 it was noticable. I think i'll go check it out again.:D

PS SLC turn like sh..t

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
dugald said:
Funny, ...I seem to recollect my previous 450SL being much nimbler,
Did you trust or push it harder then?
dugald said:
Comments?
The ratio to age/risks taken is exponential. To a point.

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,952 Posts
ussun said:
PS SLC turn like sh..t
???

My SLC has smaller turning radius than MOST compact front wheelers (Mazda 3, VW Golf, Honda Civic...).

Have your car checked. If you have inappropriate length of draglink and that error was compensated by tie rods you will have smaller turning radius (and there will be no problem with wheel alignment)!

BTW for 4.7m long SLC tank, no matter how big radius you think it is... it's still way smaller than with most other cars.

·
Registered
'79 450 SLC
456 Posts
Djenka018 said:
???

My SLC has smaller turning radius than MOST compact front wheelers (Mazda 3, VW Golf, Honda Civic...).

Have your car checked. If you have inappropriate length of draglink and that error was compensated by tie rods you will have smaller turning radius (and there will be no problem with wheel alignment)!

BTW for 4.7m long SLC tank, no matter how big radius you think it is... it's still way smaller than with most other cars.
Other than the feel it is an excellent handler. You just have to be willing to push it. It does slightly understeer, thats the way it was designed, but it has almost 50:50 weight distribution.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,451 Posts
I am talking about slow speed maneouvering, not over-the-road handling. My car just needs a lot of real estate to turn.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,257 Posts
dugald said:
I am talking about slow speed maneouvering, not over-the-road handling. My car just needs a lot of real estate to turn.
Exactly. I was doing less than five MPH and I thought the car was going to rear end itself. (Please don't go there!):rolleyes:

·
Registered
1975 mercedes sl, Audi A6 2.7T, 2000 merceds slk (sold)
60 Posts
I have a question regarding turning....the turn radius on my 75 450sl is very small, maybe to small. when I turn the wheel all the way to either side the tire will rub against the metal (it is the back of the inner tire in the turn that rubs) is this normal...or is there a stop missing somewhere?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,682 Posts
carsten123 said:
I have a question regarding turning....the turn radius on my 75 450sl is very small, maybe to small. when I turn the wheel all the way to either side the tire will rub against the metal (it is the back of the inner tire in the turn that rubs) is this normal...or is there a stop missing somewhere?
Original rims? Correct tire size? Dead coil springs?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have 205/70 on the original 14 inch rims. Springs looks good... but while I was down there I noticed a 1/4 inch air gab over the subframe mount...car handels great but I better replace it.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
carsten123 said:
I have 205/70 on the original 14 inch rims. Springs looks good... but while I was down there I noticed a 1/4 inch air gab over the subframe mount...car handels great but I better replace it.
I would. See previous posts for the good info. Hope you don't have to buy any tools.
BTW: to raise the frame the ..little bit.. more.. it needs to r&r the bushings, raise it from the tow hook/sway bar mount on the front of the frame with a jack, and support accordingly. The axehandle can be left undamaged.
Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
BenzToy said:
BTW: to raise the frame the ..little bit.. more.. it needs to r&r the bushings, raise it from the tow hook/sway bar mount on the front of the frame with a jack, and support accordingly. The axehandle can be left undamaged.
Oh, fine. NOW you tell me. Where were you when I was changing them?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the good info! I love buy tools, and yesterday when the UPS guy came with a package my 3 year old daughter told me "the man is here with things for dads old car" that was a proud moment ;-)..she also helps me repair the car (holding tools, and turning bolts) life is great

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,451 Posts
I wasn't just imagining the bus-like turning circle of my 560. Today I noticed it was considerably tighter turning to the right than to the left. I checked the steering wheel turns from straight ahead to each lock: just over 1 turn to the left; nearly 1 3/4 to the right.
The car's history shows two front end accident repairs. It tracks straight, no tire scrubbing, steers fine except for the noted problem. Maybe the geometry was assembled wrongly somehow during repairs. Perhaps the steering box was R&R not centered?
As a start, can someone tell me the correct number of steering wheel turns lock to lock?
I'd also appreciate any comments or advice. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts