1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
It's trying to tell you something...

The top came off fine, but now when I want it back on, no luck....
Whats going on? the top came off fine, but now wont lock again?
Andrew,

it could also be that the car is trying to tell you to get those cylinders fixed... (Just kidding.) ;););)

You might have the manual operation down to a science by now. However, keep in mind that you might wear out the manual locking mechanisms in time. They were really designed to be operated that way in emergencies; especially the front locks. You wouldn't believe what level of cruelty to latches we are sometimes witnessing, and in the worst cases it is best to let the tortured things find a new life in the big melting pot... ;)

Also, it is really easy to get the rear bow caught in the hinges of the tonneau cover when operating the top by hand. Result: tearing or unsightly edges on the canvas...

-Klaus

[email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Top Hydraulics, Inc. - First Class Service

I am new to the R129 world - a recently converted Corvette enthusiast. As a retired engineer I fell in love with 2000 SL500. My thoughts were "how hard could it be to fix a inoperable soft top. The previous owner told me it was being sold as a "hard top" owner because he got an estimate of $12k from the MB dealer.

After perusing the R129 chat sites I found out about Top Hydraulics. I took a look at his site and found his repair documents. They were thorough and gave helpful hints! So with his docs on my iPad I tackled the job. In approximately 4 - 6 hours I had all 11 cylinders removed and the next day sent off to Klaus. Klaus rebuilt and reshipped the cylinders in less than 48 hours!.

Once I got them back I immediately started the re-install. Of course as a retired engineer I KNEW I could ignore the helpful hints and cut corners. WRONG! I almost immediately lost a hydraulic line clip into the frame as well as not taping the socket to the bottom bolt to the socket on the main cylinder thus dropping it into the frame. (both cautioned in Klaus' docs) With all the cylinders back in place and all hooked up I was ready to try it out. Tonneau cover up - and that's it!

Now back to my main point - Klaus @ Top Hydraulics. My first reaction was Damn - I need to rebuild my controller! Luckily for me I remembered Klaus telling me "Give me a call if you run into any problems." After having been "burned" over the years by various auto parts supplies I thought that maybe this was just another hollow statement. But - I gave it a try. Klaus couldn't have been more professional.

Over the course of the next few days Klaus - 3200 miles away - was able to systematically walk me through, step by step, the repair. Turns out I had a few problems left over from the previous "mechanic" looking into the problems (most likely the MB dealership).

Klaus convinced me immediately that although it might be the controller I should first check out other issues. The bottom-line is that Klaus saved me a few hundred dollars on a controller that didn't need rebuilding.

I hesitate to tell you the personal service that Klaus provided only because it shouldn't be expected from anyone. When I sent him an email on a Saturday night explaining what I'd done, what the car is doing and asked for any suggestions I was totally amazed when, in less that 3 minutes after hitting send on the email, my phone rang. It was Klaus telling me what he thought was the next issue. In every case he was spot on.

Top Hydraulics is by the most professional, knowledgable and customer service oriented company I've ever dealt with in my 40 some years of working on exotic cars!

Klaus - you are ultimate professional!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts