Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got home after a couple of months overseas to find the roofliner of my car is 'puckered' around the edges along the front drivers side and above the door. I opened up the front of the roof liner and found a small leak of fluid from the small hydraulic cylinder mounted centrally in the front of the roof.

I assume the roof liner has become deformed by the fluid and is beyond salvage, I don't think it will go back to its original shape after the leak is stopped. The hydraulic cylinder appears to be part of the roof locking mechanism and is part of a complicated (and presumably expensive!) assembly.

Anybody dealt with this before? All advice gratefully accepted.

Colin

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
Lots of excellent info about this on the forum. Do a search. Do all five cylinders while you're at it. Cost is anywhere from $30 for DIY to several thousand if you farm it out to the dealer. The ten year mark seems to be about the time they go. Got to get after mine this winter before I lose my headliner too.

·
Registered
'02 slk320
84 Posts
The vinyl cover on the headliner is usually the only thing messed up. It can be stripped, cleaned, and recovered for less than $50. Don't throw it away

·
Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Len you are quite correct, there's some excellent info in the archive. I should have searched first. This seems to be a common problem.

Greg, it appears you repaired yours quite recently. Do you know the part numbers for cylinder rebuild kits and where to buy them? If I get them from my local dealer I'll lose an arm and leg.

Regards
Colin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts