Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate 2.7CDi 125kW
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

So recently on forums I found an article, that told how to flush hydraulic fluid (for P/S ans SLS suspension (wagon)). Everything went as expected, flushed out about 2 litres of old hydraulic fluid which was really dirty (brovnish color). When added new fluid, it was clear and good looking, steering became lighter and I was happy. But then, after driving a bit, the not flushed fluid mixed with brand new one and it went dirty color again (in the reserviour). P/S became hard again.

So what I'm trying to say is that I did not flush all the old fluid out...

Exactly how much litres are in that God damn system? Because I spent 30 euros on 2 litres of fluid... is this flushing process really so expensive? Or is there a cheaper way of doing this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
580 Posts
You have to cycle new fluid into the rear self leveling suspension. When I did this, I disconnected the level sensing lever between the rear wheels and manually set it so the car thought the rear end was sagging, causing it to add fluid to the shocks. Then, move the lever back to its original position to drain that fluid.

When I did the flush, my new fluid quickly turned dark, probably because I never removed all of the old fluid. I think the flush was a waste of money. Before and after the change, my steering was fine and the pump still groaned under load. I only did the flush while replacing some leaking fluid lines.

Check the sticky threads for more because there's probably a procedure about this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts