Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML320
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well i have this bad humming noise while i drive only when the car is rolling. it does not matter what gear D,N,R there is this annoying humming coming from the outside.. its always louder right after i start the car first time in the day and start driving.. it gets better after driving for a while.. and i have no idea what it is.. i mean it sounds like something is turning and needs some lubricant or something.. i hope its from the breaks because im gonna change them soon but man this thing is getting me more and more annoyed.. what do you guys think it is? did anybody have a problem like that..
oh the car is a 2001 ML320

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,985 Posts
well i have this bad humming noise while i drive only when the car is rolling does not matter what gear D,N,R there is this annoying humming coming from the outside.. its always louder right after i start the car first time in the day.. gets better after driving for a while.. and i have no idea what it is.. i mean it sounds like something is turning and needs some lubricant or something.. i hope its from the breaks because im gonna change them soon but man this thing is getting me more and more annoyed.. what do you guys think it is? did anybody have a problem like that..
Don't you think it would be a good idea to open the hood and try and isolate the noise to a certain area? It could be the ebox fan or a belt related noise.

·
Registered
2001 ML320
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well its hard to open the hood when the car is in motion.. as i stated above the noise comes on only while the car is moving.. its not any of the belts that im sure of.. i feel like it might be the drive shaft but im not sure..

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,985 Posts
[.
it does not matter what gear D,N,R
I took this to mean when the selector was in neutral, but I guess you were moving and put it into neutral. It could still be a pulley or tensioner in the belt system or any bearing in the suspension or drivetrain. You should have it put on a lift and while the truck is running in gear it shouldn't be too hard to find.

·
Registered
2001 ML320
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea im gonna have to do that.. how much do driven train bearings go for? i remember that i paid like a 1k on my old ass van for that and i think some new pads, but this is mercedes so it will probable be more? and its cool man yea i made the description a bit confusing lol

oh yea one mre thing could it be the transmission, or does the tranny stop spinning after you go to Neutral?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,985 Posts
yea im gonna have to do that.. how much do driven train bearings go for? i remember that i paid like a 1k on my old ass van for that and i think some new pads, but this is mercedes so it will probable be more? and its cool man yea i made the description a bit confusing lol

oh yea one mre thing could it be the transmission, or does the tranny stop spinning after you go to Neutral?
Suspension bearings are those at each wheel hub. Drivetrain bearings are those between the front and rear diffs. including the drive shaft. Buts it probably is the center bearing on the drive shaft. Have it checked out first. Once its running on the lift, finding it will be easy.

·
Registered
ML430
20 Posts
Humming noise

well i have this bad humming noise while i drive only when the car is rolling. it does not matter what gear D,N,R there is this annoying humming coming from the outside.. its always louder right after i start the car first time in the day and start driving.. it gets better after driving for a while.. and i have no idea what it is.. i mean it sounds like something is turning and needs some lubricant or something.. i hope its from the breaks because im gonna change them soon but man this thing is getting me more and more annoyed.. what do you guys think it is? did anybody have a problem like that..
I am not sure if you had fixed this. I have a 2001 430 and had same humming noise. It turned out to be a cooling fan in the fuse box area. You can replace it or you can remove it. The purpose of the fan to keep the fuse box temparature under controll. This fan is not necessory as the temparature of North America is not that extreem. Suggest this to your mechanic and see what he or she advise. I removed it and no noise since then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just changed conductor plate on my transmission and changed oil on my 1999 mercedes ml430. the transmission is humming at start up but after a few miles the humming stops. it shifting fine on all gears and no check engine light either. I used Meyle transmission fluid that I bought from ebay. I checked the fluid level using a dip stick @ 25%. I am not sure if the level is correct. anyone have same issue? thanks

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
I just changed conductor plate on my transmission and changed oil on my 1999 mercedes ml430. the transmission is humming at start up but after a few miles the humming stops. it shifting fine on all gears and no check engine light either. I used Meyle transmission fluid that I bought from ebay. I checked the fluid level using a dip stick @ 25%. I am not sure if the level is correct. anyone have same issue? thanks
Do you mean 25 degrees C = 77degreesF? How cold was it out when you read the level? The temp is actually the temp of the transmission. but if it were 0 degrees C and you checked cold you are probably over filled.

Fill out your profile with year and model please.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts