Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E320
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 E320 start making a sorta humming noise from the rear end starting last week.

It sounds like its on the rubble warning strip on the side of the highway. It happens at between 30-40 mph at 1500-1600 RPM. When I let up on the accelarator, the noise stops.

I 've had the tires rotated and balanced, but it still makes the same rubbling sound.

I was thinking maybe its the drive shaft support bearing or the flex disk going bad. My mechanic thinks I'm wrong, but is willing to let me throw money at the problem.

What does anyone think it can be? Thanks for your thoughts

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
My 02 E320 start making a sorta humming noise from the rear end starting last week.

It sounds like its on the rubble warning strip on the side of the highway. It happens at between 30-40 mph at 1500-1600 RPM. When I let up on the accelarator, the noise stops.

I 've had the tires rotated and balanced, but it still makes the same rubbling sound.

I was thinking maybe its the drive shaft support bearing or the flex disk going bad. My mechanic thinks I'm wrong, but is willing to let me throw money at the problem.

What does anyone think it can be? Thanks for your thoughts
At the very least I'd get it to another mechanic. You don't mention mileage, but it certainly sounds like a flex disc or carrier bearing. Tangentially, have you changed the differential oil?

·
Registered
2002 E320
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darn sorry about that - it has 126K miles

I was seriusly thinking about flushing and replacing the rear diff fluid.

Unfourtunatley, only a few MB mechanics around this area (beside the dealership (that might have to be my last resort)

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Darn sorry about that - it has 126K miles

I was seriusly thinking about flushing and replacing the rear diff fluid.

Unfourtunatley, only a few MB mechanics around this area (beside the dealership (that might have to be my last resort)
No need to flush, just drain it and refill; most of us use synthetic fluid now. Big tip: be sure to loosen the fill plug first, they are tight as you know what and if you can't get it loose, you don't want to start it draining. :eek:

There is nothing inherently wrong with a dealership, it's just that good ones are hard to find. Indeed, if you don't have a relationship with one already, call and tell them you're new to the area and are wondering if they'd do a complimentary inspection. Odds are you'll end up with a laundry list, and IIRC the flex discs is one of the things they check anyway, but if on your arrival you mention this noise, they'll likely take a harder look.

A free diagnosis is always worth what you pay for it, though. ;)

If you have some good jackstands or ramps, the flex discs are easy enough to check yourself. I find it easier to raise/ramp just one side of the car, then you can slide in and check it out with even access along the middle length of the car. Heck, raise it on the driver's side and replace the fuel filter if that's due, make it a twofer Saturday morning. :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts