Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2009 SL550 Black AMG Sport Pkg
118 Posts
Significant savings, like $100 less on a remanufactured one. Several vendors even some Merc. dealer parts counters have them. FCP has new for $285 but "M Benz of Tampa" has for $174.

Anyone ever have any experience with a reman. damper?

·
Registered
118 Posts
If RocketBoots or bekcon still on here, just one or two questions:

1) What did you use to loosen back bolt from underneath? Socket size? Ratchet wrench?
2) Once undercarriage cover(s) is removed, is it a fairly straight shot to see/access the back bolt?
3) Is it fairly accessible from underneath on ramps or jack?
4) Looks like both front torx bolts have to be removed or at least loosened. Does pulley need to come off?

Does anyone have any pictures from underneath?

Thanks much!
Reid C.

·
Registered
2015 SL550
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If RocketBoots or bekcon still on here, just one or two questions:

1) What did you use to loosen back bolt from underneath? Socket size? Ratchet wrench?
2) Once undercarriage cover(s) is removed, is it a fairly straight shot to see/access the back bolt?
3) Is it fairly accessible from underneath on ramps or jack?
4) Looks like both front torx bolts have to be removed or at least loosened. Does pulley need to come off?

Does anyone have any pictures from underneath?

Thanks much!
Reid C.
My memory of this is fuzzy. It's been a while now and I have moved on to another car make for my fun car.

1 and 2. I don't remember, but I don't think it was particularly difficult.
3. I had mine up on jack-stands.
4. Mine was an 08, so I don't know if the 09 refresh SL has a different configuration. On mine, I did it as per the picture and write-up. I only removed 1 bolt. I did not remove the pulley, just released the belt. I had to grind down a wrench to make it slim enough to unscrew the damper.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had to grind down a wrench to make it slim enough to unscrew the damper
Why is that? Did you not have the hex fitting at the top of the damper like the attached image?

Final question: Was there no pressure on the damper when removing it? Very much fluid escape from it or the hole it screws into?

Thanks again for your time and info, really appreciate.

IMG_1068.jpg

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sorry tardy on recapping my experience on this.

I used to own and run my own shop, with lifts. So i knew I would want to have this on a lift to get underneath to the bolt on the back side of the pump. I don't have access to lifts anymore, and I was VERY hesitant to try this on my back on ramps. I fully understand some guys are fine with that condition, but not me. I'm also short a few tools I'd have needed. So...I got this done by a very helpful indi, through a friend connection.

First, I found, in a MB box, a pulsation damper (reman) at my local Benz dealer for around $175, after core refund. Second, the indi connection got the operation done for $260 labor which was $100. x 2.5 hrs. So, about $435 total, as opposed to the dealer quote of $1770. That quote was for pump removal, replace damper on the workbench, reinstall, flush and bleed system. A bit overkill for a simple R&R component, I thought.

Final thought: I have heard some people say "look out for the rear damper, it goes pretty quickly when the front is replaced."

1) Is it more accessible for dyi replacement, 2) can it also be done without much or any fluid loss, and 3) any symptoms I should be aware...ride seems a little hard mainly in back over bumps...is this a telltale symptom?

Thx,
Reid C

·
Registered
2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
690 Posts
Both of my rear accumulators were replaced recently prior to purchasing the car. I can't comment personally on the level of difficulty there. Mine is a 2005 SL65 AMG. I am preparing to do the front one as well as the pulsation damper. I am fortunate to have a fully equipped 3600 sq/ft shop with lift (retirement present to myself). Just waiting on the damper which should be here tomorrow. I found this article written by a member here, Darren Bruxvoort. I have read this, re-read this and re-read it again in full. Absolutely beautiful explanation of the ABC system in detail. I feel like an expert (but I am not) after digesting this information. Kudos to the author! I hope it helps you as it has helped me. Good luck!

Mercedes Benz ABC System Troubleshooting Guide: ABC System

·
Registered
2004 (w220) S500 & (R230) SL550 2007
644 Posts
I need to replace my pulsation damper on the 2007+ design, where the pulsation damper is attached to the tandem pump. Unfortunately all the pics in this posting have gone missing.
What is the current consensus on replacing this part & who has the p/n and best deal on it?
Is there any expected difference on reman vs new?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,160 Posts
I did mine last year. I bought it from an authorized MBZ dealer who sold online (eBay) and it was about $200 less a $35 core charge. It was a rebuilt part. I replaced mine without completely removing the pump. Officially, you are to remove the pump and turn it upside down before unscrewing the pulsation dampener in order to prevent debris from entering the system. I believe that if you thoroughly clean the area using both degreaser and microfiber cloths, and then use extreme caution, you can do it just be detaching the pump bolts and sliding it forward to clear the engine for removal of the dampener.

Here's the official WIS doc:

Here what it looks like when you detach the pump and slide it forward:

21 - 28 of 28 Posts